<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
diglazdig
(Login diglazdig)
BW Member

Re: NICK CAVE

No score for this post
January 16 2016, 8:39 PM 

I do a lot of phish shows....anyone into phish?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
fantasticvoyager
(Login fantasticvoyager)

Re: Who Are You Going To Follow Now?

No score for this post
January 16 2016, 2:26 PM 

I for one will stick to David.
He's out there. ;-)

Dash_Away
(Login Dash_Away)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 16 2016, 2:41 PM 

Like Michael said.

andy
(Login andyrushworth)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 16 2016, 4:55 PM 

I'll do what I've always done buy a healthy choice of whatever takes my fancy , recently started listening to Peter Murphys Lion ! a great album, Paul McCartney As The Fireman Red Hot Chilli Peppers , the list is endless as long as it takes my fancy ?

Anonymous
(Login Grizzlies6Jones)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 16 2016, 5:15 PM 

I think we all have some band we like and follow but, for me, almost all bands and solo acts fall off after awhile. The exception was Bowie, he had 2 or 3 rough albums but he returned to form and was in stride with his last few albums.

I'll still listen to Placebo, Dylan, Arcade Fire, Tom Petty, New Order, etc but there won't be the same hype as there was for a Bowie album.

There's no one as cultured or as interesting as Bowie was. Not anyone living at least. Sylvian had some very interesting solo albums but the last couple were just too abstract for me.

Sakamoto is brilliant and I do enjoy his soundtrack work but I miss his solo experimental albums.

Mark
(Login WhereAreWeNow)

Following

No score for this post
January 16 2016, 5:25 PM 

I think I'll throw myself into PJ Harvey, Bjork, TV on the Radio, maybe MGMT.

Radio head used to have a spell on me, but that's worn off.

Arcade Fire I have an off/on relationship with. While they are a fabulous live act, I find their studio albums to be hit/miss for some reason.

Trev⚡️
(Login trevorhalvo)
BW Member

Re: Following

No score for this post
January 16 2016, 5:34 PM 

(( I think we all have some band we like and follow but, for me, almost all bands and solo acts fall off after awhile. The exception was Bowie, he had 2 or 3 rough albums but he returned to form and was in stride with his last few albums. ))

Oh I dunno, The Charlatans who I like started way back at the beginning of the 90s, they have constantly bounced back from deaths and band members leaving, and have constantly reinvented themselves over the years. Just fairly recently they released an album which for me is quite possibly their best.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
[linked image]

This message has been edited by trevorhalvo on Jan 16, 2016 5:36 PM

HeddonStBoy
(Login HeddonStreetBoy)

No score for this post
January 16 2016, 5:45 PM 

Life is for the living and also for my record collection.

Sparkina
(Login Sparkina)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 16 2016, 6:11 PM 

There's Sylvian, Sakamoto, Iggy, Nick Cave, Thomas Dolby, ABC, Siouxsie, Debbie Harry, Martin Page, Martin Briley, Gotye, Tom Robinson, Peter Murphy -- a whole assortment, but The Gentleman was one of a kind, so I will play a whole assortment of artists with PLENTY OF BOWIE mixed into that assortment

Heddonist
(Login Heddonist)

Nick Cave

No score for this post
January 16 2016, 6:20 PM 

Seriously... if you like Bowie you will like Nick Cave.

Fantastic body of world and always interesting.

Heddonist
(Login Heddonist)

Work not world.

No score for this post
January 16 2016, 6:21 PM 

yea

sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

Re: Nick Cave

No score for this post
August 25 2017, 5:37 AM 

delete

This message has been edited by ziggythecowboy on Aug 25, 2017 5:38 AM

mikewest
(Login west406)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 16 2016, 6:30 PM 

This is a weird one, Bowie Fanatic since early 74, I have liked other Bands under his umberella , Lou Reed, Iggy, Roxy.And his followers, Japan , Ultravox, his rivals, Queen, and Prog stuff like ELP, Genesis, King Crimson, and heavier stuff Led Zep,Thin Lizzy, Cream.
I always turn back to Bowie and he is obviously my all time no 1 artist .
It's like your a Supporter of a football team , you stick through them thick or thin, even though I haven't played much of his music since Monday I will never desert him, is he dead in my mind , that's a strange one as he is and he isn't.
I normally pick up rare stuff on eBay and haven't done it ,
1) I don't feel like it
2) it's too damn expensive at the moment, have you seen the price of the Clear vinyl with prints?
I will see how I will feel in the next few months.

K
(Login SpaceFace65)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 16 2016, 6:21 PM 

I listen to my kids' music, and some of it is fine. I can't see myself "following" any of the performers the way I follow my own bands. So I'll likely just keep revisiting my own very large catalog of favorites as well as continuing to explore classical and jazz. Bowie and the Beatles alone could last a lifetime.

I will *certainly* see my favorite acts when they come to town, whether or not I love their latest. I've done it with a few, such as PiL, but I saw our hero only once, thinking that I'd get around to it again some day. Bad strategy. Most of the acts I'd like to see again are in the 60s at best, so I'll be making a list and checking out their tours. I don't need more musical regrets.

mikewest
(Login west406)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 16 2016, 6:43 PM 

SpaceFace65 at least you've seen him, I've regretted not seeing bands, Lizzy, Zeppelin,Police etc, but of course with my fanatasism seen Bowie 14 times, just wish I saw born earlier to see Ziggy and the Thin White Duke. There will be plenty of new fans from 2013 who have waited to see him and will never get the chance.

andy
(Login andyrushworth)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 16 2016, 7:17 PM 

Just thinking about Peter Murphy , I suppose it's the sound of his voice and it's delivery, I will always be reminded of Bowie ,plus I think PM is unashamedly a DB fan so I'll feel as though I'm hearing echos of the main man :)though I suppose now it will be tinged with sadness sad.gif but that's not a problem for me because I can't remember a day when Bowie hasn't run through my mind ,and I can't imagine that stopping now happy.gif ?

Anonymous
(Login SpaceFace65)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 16 2016, 7:18 PM 

mikewest, you're right, I'm glad that I did get to see him once. It wasn't my favorite period for his music (Serious Moonlight tour), but as I told myself that night, at least David Bowie and I were once in the same room. :)

I think there will be many, many new fans from this week alone--especially the young outsiders he's always attracted--who will be terribly disappointed they never got to see him live.

This Furious Man
(no login)

No score for this post
January 16 2016, 8:02 PM 

I'll be taking a rest from Bowie for a while and rekindle my love affair with The Jam and Small Faces.
May also start to discover Dr Feelgood and learn to play my Rickenbacker Fireglo properly......

TFM

andy
(Login andyrushworth)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 17 2016, 1:57 AM 

This is MikeWest to follow that BLACK STAR no matter how hopeless no matter how far .

sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 25 2017, 5:38 AM 

"Seriously... if you like Bowie you will like Nick Cave.

Fantastic body of world and always interesting."

funnily enough. I've only really had his best of for about 15 years but just in the past couple of months I've got the Cave bug and have bought about 8 of his albums. There is so much depth in his work. Why have I denied the genuis of Cave?

I now have

Dig Lazarus Dig
Tender Prey
The Good Son
Kicking Against the Pricks
Murder Ballads
Boatman's Call
Let Love In

All have their own style. Unlike Bowie, he doesn't change style so drastically but he does in content. I get the impression he reads just as much as Bowie.

I have the CD/DVD editions. So nicely done.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website