<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Anonymous
(Login Nature_Boy)
BW Member

Re: Who Are You Going To Follow Now?

No score for this post
August 25 2017, 3:20 PM 

Nick Cave is my favourite artist after Bowie - there's barely a duff album in his whole career.

Although Bowie is the better musician and songwriter overall, I have to rate Nick Cave ahead lyrically - or maybe I just like his style, that narrative driven approach soaked in sex and the bible. Phenomenal live performer as well.

The CD/DVD editions are great - every album in remastered stereo and 5.1 surround with B-sides.

I prefer later Cave to early, but I would recommend you check out

Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus (my all time favourite album, sorry DB!)
No More Shall We Part
Henry's Dream
Grinderman 1 + 2

The Thin White Duke - David Bowie Tribute Band
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   

sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 25 2017, 10:18 PM 

Nature Boy, my path to getting into Cave's music is a very different route than it was with Bowie's. My history with Bowie's music goes back to when I was a nipper. Where as Cave is something that's been a slow burner for about 20 years.

My wife can't stand his music, she says it's "depressing" which I can see why she thinks that but you probably find like myself that his songs are actually quit dramatic and dare I say beautiful.

Songs of the human condition, (unrequited)love, lust, heartbreak, desire, murder. Do you find each song is like a short story?

OK Bowie sort of did this too but more from a 3rd party point of view. With Cave it's mainly first person.

"The CD/DVD editions are great - every album in remastered stereo and 5.1 surround with B-sides."
yep that's the ones I have to. The remastering is so clean and no brickwalling. I wish Bowie's albums were presented like this.

The only thing that could be improved is more bonus tracks and on CD as well as on the DVD. Not just as download as 128kbps sad.gif. I guess that was done at the time to encourage people to but the b-sides and rarities album that came out at the time.

I hope they continue this format for the Grinderman albums and the other post-Dig Lazarus Dig.

" I would recommend you check out

Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus (my all time favourite album, sorry DB!)
No More Shall We Part
Henry's Dream
Grinderman 1 + 2 "

Funnily enough I checked out Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus on youtube yesterday. It's quite a different beast that one. It goes for that gospel feel. I need to get it.

as for No More Shall We Part, I heard negative things about it but listening to it, that's on my list as well. Henry's dream too. As for the two Grinderman's, Push the Sky Away and Skeleton Tree. I'm making my way there.

The album's prior too Tender Pray I don't know so well. Other than Kicking Against the Pricks. The Cave Pin-Ups happy.gif.

This message has been edited by ziggythecowboy on Aug 25, 2017 10:20 PM

Anonymous
(Login NorseSwagger)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 26 2017, 1:29 PM 

If we're talking singer-songwriters, my #2 pick would definitely be Bob Dylan. He never seems to settle down, and is showing no signs of stopping.

Anonymous
(Login sylvianne)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 3 2017, 5:22 PM 

I'm with you all on Nick cave. genius body of work. such a poet.
murder ballads is fantastic as is no more shall we part. infact I love them all.

I'm enjoying sparks too. look forward to there new album this week. hippopotamus.

Jon
(Login the_starman)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 3 2017, 6:12 PM 

Nick Cave is a 'genius'; Bob Dylan is his #2 songwriter pick. Jesus wept.

Stranger
(Login Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land)
BW Member

Try The Fall

No score for this post
September 4 2017, 12:49 AM 

I've stopped going on them as much as I once did as you can only shout so much about certain things, and others have bigged them up here anyway.

I've always followed others...while Bowie has always been in my top 3 (alternating between Iggy and Lou and Bowie to Iggy and Lou and The Fall, but also including tons of others who will be my current 'rave' at any given time), but they are a great band.

The last album was fine, but the latest (New Facts Emerge) is a stormer - as always it's getting a wide variety of reactions / reviews, but there's quite a few along the lines of best since YFOC (Your Future Our Clutter) / best since 1999 etc, which is their equivalent as 'best since Scary Monsters'. All the more remarkable as MES' health has not been good of late, and the singing / lyrics are more indecipherable than for a while but still with a lot of invention in the delivery.

------------------
The next EMI Expanded Editions:
* What are your hopes for these releases?
* Let's have The Man Who Sold The World with the complete Paris Cinema Studios, Feb 5, 1970 radio concert, and the complete April 1970 radio session. Hunky Dory - add the complete Paris Cinema Studios concert, June 1971 in stereo, from the BBC Stereo Transcription LP if the master is lost!
* Any future live 1974 release MUST include a recording of Drive In Saturday from the early part of the tour, it's classic!
The next DVD release?
* Cracked Actor / Omnibus documentary must be released on DVD!

Recommended:
Tiffiny Townsend | She's Got Issues | The She Creatures |

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website