<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The Age of Bowie by Paul Morley

July 31 2016 at 7:03 PM
No score for this post
muzz  (Login muzz08)
BW Member

Who's reading it?

What do you think?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

tintoy
(Login tintoy)
BW Member

The Age of Bowie by Paul Morley

No score for this post
July 31 2016, 8:16 PM 

I'm gonna wait till it hits the bargain bins. I did flip through it for half an hour and I liked the bits I read . . .

neilio
(Login neilio2)
BW Member

Re: The Age of Bowie by Paul Morley

No score for this post
July 31 2016, 8:32 PM 

Listened to the the Mouth podcast with him talking about it:

https://themouthmagazine.com/2016/07/23/paul-morley/

Obviously, Morley can be pretentious at times but entertaining all the same. He was after all the man behind the Frankie goes to Hollywood/ZTT campaign.

John
(Login chejohnbowie)
BW Member

bbc radio 6

No score for this post
August 1 2016, 10:14 AM 

Heard him talking about his book on BBC radio 6 this morning
He looked a lot like Che Guevara
Drove a diesel van

Paddy
(Login pproche)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 2 2016, 10:23 PM 

I've never been a fan of his "talking head" appearances on those "Best ever" type shows, as somebody else has said he can come across arrogant. And for that reason "I'm out" lol.

I'd rather wait for Mr. Peggs update.

Trev
(Login trevorhalvo)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 3 2016, 9:16 AM 

I've finally found the time to listen to Morley on Mouthcast and I do agree with him that db didn't actually die on Jan 10th but David Jones did. I mean I often think from my own perspective that db has died several times over, the main versions for me being Ziggy Stardust and Aladdin Sane back in the early 70s, then the Soul Boy, European Cannon etc, later on and so on.

What did die on Jan 10th was the human catalyst that provided brand new David Bowie information and directions to the world. David Bowie the artist and now I suppose myth will now only grow bigger and still be very much alive, influencing from within his body of work that has already been given to us. It's going to be a strange experience being a David Bowie fan from now on, an experience whereby as fans we are going to have to mutate ourselves into different directions with regards our interests and lives, on our own terms by referencing what David Bowie has already given us.

Strange eh? db did actually die several times over, continued to live, then his human being did actually die, only for David Bowie to spiritually live forever. What an odd situation to be in and feel but facinating all the same.

I don't agree with the shows host who said Heathen could be regarded as being better than Young Americans! WTF! the guy needs to give himself a bloody good shake. Pfffft

--------------------------------------------------------------------
[linked image]

Larranaga
(Login Larranaga)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 3 2016, 10:19 AM 

Morley is a genuinely abysmal writer and I won't be financing his ever-increasing girth and chins
by forking out for this cash-in.
On the other hand, Morley did once shag Siouxsie in mid-interview, so fair do's!

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 3 2016, 3:52 PM 

I've listened to these daily broadcasts and tbh I feel like there's nothing new. I find him painfully boring to listen to. I won't be buying this.

It's a cash in
"I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star"

https://godisimaginary.com/

AnAlligator
(Login An-Alligator)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 27 2017, 5:41 PM 

Just a quick heads up - as expected, there were stacks of these in a The Works shop I went in today, in London's stylish Stratford. I'd imagine there's lots in their other branches too.

£2 a go in hardback.

Paddy
(Login pproche)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 27 2017, 5:54 PM 

All well and good alligator but you can get a coffee and a pasty from Greggs for £2. Save your money folks.

This message has been edited by pproche on Feb 27, 2017 5:55 PM

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 27 2017, 6:24 PM 

i wouldn't even accept a copy if I was paid.
"I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star"

https://godisimaginary.com/

AnAlligator
(Login An-Alligator)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 27 2017, 8:44 PM 

Years ago, I would have jumped at the chance for any Bowie book for £2.

I even surprised myself at how little I was interested in buying it! I didn't even pick one up, just thought to myself '£2, yeah I thought that wouldn't take long. '

Lang Park (Gene Miles)
(Login LangPark)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 27 2017, 9:11 PM 

Is Paul Morley any relation to Adrian Morley?

This message has been edited by LangPark on Feb 27, 2017 9:12 PM

Larranaga
(Login Larranaga)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 28 2017, 12:22 PM 

This will probably be a lot more about Morley than Bowie...

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 28 2017, 4:40 PM 

Ha! Morley? LESSley more like!!

Anonymous
(Login BenderRodriguez)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 28 2017, 10:51 PM 

I remember passing him as he was (presumably) typing some of this up, when he was in the V&A in 2013. That was a bit of a weird thing to do. I guess he wanted to get into the Bowie mindset. I'd have advised doing what Will Brooker did and visiting some of the places where he lived instead. Brixton, Bromley, Beckenham, London, LA, Berlin, etc...

http://www.davidbowie.com/news/exclusive-extracts-morleys-weekend-bowie-book-51586

Doctorocto
(Login doctoroctopussy)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 1 2017, 2:22 AM 

Saw it in the Works and left it on the shelf.
----------------------------------------------

tintoy
(Login tintoy)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 1 2017, 6:49 AM 

I got it out of the library and waded through it all. It is awful.
He writes sentences like :

And then Bowie is morphing, warping and turning back on himself in a blaze, a dazzling collision of worlds, places, situations that morph and transform us, changing, altering, modifying, varying, converting, and revising so we all coalesce into one morphing Bowie world of infinite galaxies and possibilities; a heavenly transmutation that he is genesis to always.

I kid you not - check it out, there are 471 pages to digest . . .

AJ
(Login ajowen)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 1 2017, 9:39 AM 

Most pretentious book I have ever read.

sammy mcnight
(Login pleasecomeaway)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 1 2017, 4:12 PM 

Verbiage Daydream

Poor Mr. Morley,
destined to think
lets change/alter/modify
squander good ink!

We were his galaxy.
He was our king.
Selling the spandex, he
taught us to sing.
www.gettheebehind.me

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website