<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Bait Breath
(Login Dr.Ink)
BW Member

Re: No offence

No score for this post
September 27 2016, 1:53 AM 

what Doc Said

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   

sammy mcnight
(Login redvinylshoes)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 27 2016, 3:28 PM 

Yes, this site is a true labor of love to which we all owe much gratitude.

Paul Kinder
(Premier Login paulkinder)
BW Member

Erm

No score for this post
September 27 2016, 11:46 PM 

Off the top of my head... something he sent me and my family as a Christmas present

Signed David B

This message has been edited by paulkinder on Sep 28, 2016 12:50 AM

AC
(Login AlwaysCrashing)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 27 2016, 2:09 AM 

Dedicated is a great term! happy.gif

Superfan has been used in the S*n newspaper (can we actually call it a "news"paper?) over the years for music lovers of a particular artist. I cringe when I hear that term.

Personally, I feel the Bowie camp are again missing the boat big time with these box sets. His fan base is not getting any younger and all know there is a stack of brilliant gems in there waiting to see the light of day so why not just put it all out there?

Better still, why not just put it all out on his website for fans to enjoy for free? His family no longer need any money and it would be a wonderful gesture to reward his loyal fan base. Imagine opening your laptop on January 8 2017 and finding the Hemmings 1978 concert available? Or a Diamond Dogs tour doco/film? Or the Scary Monsters/Lodger/Low/TMWFTE material and all the rest available for us to stream for free?

Trev
(Login trevorhalvo)
BW Member

Question For PK.

No score for this post
September 27 2016, 8:58 AM 

What Ena last said.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
[linked image]

Richard
(Login ikonikon)
BW Member

fan base is not getting any younger

No score for this post
September 27 2016, 5:56 PM 

I think there is the old fanbase and the next 2 (?)generations coming after Ziggy.

I stop at my local/best used record shop every week, on Tuesdays, like clockwork. Maybe once every six months, do I see any album before Hours there, and that's been going on for years and years . The only one which is sorta common is the Ryko double Greatest Hits. So all that back catalogue is not available for purchase that way at slightly better price than new.

WCIBN is way more expensive in Canada than in the US.. but it's a good way to build an instant collection. Not sure if an old fan like me wants to buy all those albums yet AGAIN.

I do feel sad and a little angst about not buying 'a new Bowie album' - it feels very odd, a bretayal maybe, and very definitive.

Trev
(Login trevorhalvo)
BW Member

Re: fan base is not getting any younger

No score for this post
September 27 2016, 7:06 PM 

(( I do feel sad and a little angst about not buying 'a new Bowie album' - it feels very odd, a bretayal maybe, and very definitive. ))

Are you referring to the WCIBN box set Richard? If so the WCIBN box set is merely a new reissue and not a new Bowie album. Having said that I can Identify 100% with you with regards to not buying these new reissues box sets. As a fan it does feel like a bit of a betrayal not getting them, but one has to draw the line somewhere and its that sense of betrayal that the likes of Parlophone are banking on.

What would have made these box sets really appealing would be every album within them being done in 5.1 surround sound, however there doesn't seem to be a desire from the music label to provide this, probably because of cost v return reasons.
[linked image]

Richard
(Login ikonikon)
BW Member

Are you referring to the WCIBN box set Richard?

No score for this post
September 27 2016, 9:38 PM 

Yes, I am, I know it's not a newNEW album but it's new, well, sorta. Love YA and love STS...and I like the new mixes here that I heard on Spotify

But I'd never play the Live albums, I mean, my vinyls (legit and bootleg of Nassau) of those have been in a box for 35 years, and I only heard the CDs of them last month as I borrowed them from the library. I'd never play ReCall either.

Basically I need Gouster and STS (2010 HARRY MASLIN MIX), not the other 10 CDs.

um...

Anonymous
(Login trevorhalvo)
BW Member

Trev

No score for this post
September 27 2016, 11:41 PM 

I'd download them off ITunes or somewhere like Amazon and their MP3 version if they are doing it and your not an Apple customer.

I would't fork out for the box set if they are all you want and your not bothered about the rest of it. Still thats just me.
[linked image]

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

Re: Trev

No score for this post
August 8 2017, 9:23 PM 

For PK

Which Bowie biography do you reckon is most complete?

"I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star"

https://godisimaginary.com/

Andy
(Login worlebury3)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 9 2017, 12:26 AM 

No David Bowie collection can afford to be without David Bowie Glamour Fanzines issues 1 and 2. davidbowieglamour.com

Doctorocto
(Login doctoroctopussy)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 9 2017, 12:29 AM 

LOL! Stop it now.
----------------------------------------------

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 9 2017, 7:12 PM 

???

PK
(Premier Login paulkinder)
BW Member

One currently being written

No score for this post
August 11 2017, 4:04 PM 

One currently being written

Doctorocto
(Login doctoroctopussy)
BW Member

Re: One currently being written

No score for this post
August 11 2017, 5:53 PM 

Ooh! excited!
----------------------------------------------

sammy mcnight
(Login pleasecomeaway)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 11 2017, 10:34 PM 

Nice salacious tip there Paul on an impending bio.

I've said for years that Bowie as a cultural (dare I say spiritual) phenomenon is important enough to push his story once and for all beyond the solicitous Tiger Beat Rock Journo crowd and onto the typewriters of serious academic biographers. Bowie's been admired to death in fan-like prose, some of it in fairness at the highest timber of that genre. I too like David Buckley's book and Christopher Sandford's. I confess I haven't read too many more of them beyond skimming in bookstores.

Let's face it, most of them are stitched-together interviews and threadbare quotes from a man renowned for, well, lying.

It's time to normalize the man and establish his cultural context with more dispassionate assessments. Beyond the academics, there are crucial personal accounts from the usual missing persons: DeFries and Schwab.

www.gettheebehind.me

sammy mcnight
(Login pleasecomeaway)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 12 2017, 5:15 PM 

And what should appear today but...

"when it comes to in-depth career histories, there are not many to choose from."

fromhttps://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/aug/12/best-david-bowie-books

Mere career? I suspect a deeper anxiety (something beneath the career, a subterranean springboard for this strangest of 'careers') a spiritual one which may forever resist a comprehensive textual accounting. It is this itch that can never be scratched that helps explain the endless parade of nervous tics we call books.

Something keeps failing to be addressed and it both gnaws at and inspires an army of chroniclers. The landscape becomes littered with failed attempts and endless spandex appraisals with the occasional fresh insight. But it's never enough. Something of the Earthling has yet to be unearthed.
www.gettheebehind.me

Anonymous
(Login TimmySheen)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 12 2017, 7:09 PM 

I'm staggered, Sammy, that the guardian article nowhere mentions Pushing Ahead of the Dame/Rebel Rebel as probably the best written chronicle of Bowie's Music. It's a far more comprehensive and significant achievement than say Paul Morley's book which does get a mention. There's no shortage of biographies in any case, just a shortage of good ones. The life of Bowie has become like the life of Christ - a same finite set of accepted apocryphal anecdotes and mythical moments, many of which were promulgated by Bowie himself. I'm desperate to complete a stations of the cross which summarises that accepted story in 14 scenes which is effectively all that most biographies are. I think you are dead right to say that there is something strangely unknown about his life for one who lived it so publicly, some of the time at least. Hanif Kureishi's piece today peeled back a little more which perhaps hints that there is more to come. We need something from the horse's mouth possibly from some antemortem memoir, or something from someone so close they would never write it.

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 12 2017, 9:46 PM 

I'd say Buckley's and Gilman's is way better than Trynka.

Morley's is pretentious sneery wank and he knows it.

What could Coco and Defries really tell us? That David liked egg and chips and had skiddy undies! Do we really want to know that he scratched his ass and sniffed his fingers. Do we want him so normalised to believe he was like us? He wasn't like us. He had a life that most of us will never know, but I suppose at the end of the day his habits and rituals weren't dissimilar to our own.

I'm waiting for:

Down On The Allotment With David by Coco

and:

David Loved Tiling Bathrooms by Tony DeFries.

Michael
(Login Mist001)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 12 2017, 9:49 PM 

I've noticed since his passing that there's a tendency to re-write history concerning Bowie which is a danger for someone as culturally significant as Bowie. Watch out for the Laby fangirls attributing quotes and stuff to Bowie. People will start to believe it.

Mist.
'When I saw the result, I threw up. My body rejected it.'

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website