<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Qs for Paul Kinder

September 25 2016 at 7:01 PM
No score for this post

Ena  (Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

As a super fan do you buy EVERY book, coloured album, picture disc and box set?

And what's your opinion on the FY and HCIBWN sets?

"I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star"

https://godisimaginary.com/

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Paul Kinder
(Premier Login paulkinder)
BW Member

Book wise...

No score for this post
September 25 2016, 9:44 PM 

Concerning books, the vast majority of time the publisher normally sends a review copy.

I get nothing from record companies though. Never had.

HCIBWN? I presume you mean WCIBWN?, No I haven't bought either of two box sets.

Anonymous
(Login sylvianne)
BW Member

Re: Book wise...

No score for this post
September 25 2016, 9:50 PM 

paul that's shocking

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 25 2016, 10:19 PM 

Ta

mikewest
(Login west406)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 25 2016, 11:21 PM 

I can't see the point in buying everything, all you are doing is doubling up and making your house cluttered !
You would need to be a Millionaire to buy everything Bowie , even I can't keep up !

Trev
(Login trevorhalvo)
BW Member

Deep Pockets & Super Fans

No score for this post
September 26 2016, 9:50 AM 

One of the reasons I dreaded the day of David Bowie's death arriving apart from the loss of him no longer being with us is that we are all going to have to require either very deep pockets or develop an extremely strong resistance towards all things Bowie related that will be making regular appearances in order to part us from our coin.

Sadly it would seem my fears are coming true.

Also what exactly is a superfan? It's a description often used ( Amongst others ) by all of us. Iv'e always had a problem with descriptions like this though. Is a super fan defined by how much a fan has aquired with regards to his / her personal Bowie collection, how much detailed knowledge he / she posses with regards to said artists career / releases, how many times they have seen said artist live either on the same tour or number of tours over the artists entire career, length of service in terms of the number of years you have actually been a fan, coming across as being super intelligent via intricate words and sentences whist analysing and discussing the subject of our particular fandom, being the founder of one of the most successful and important fan sites on the Internet, etc, etc,

I venture that there is no such thing as an actual super fan, unless the criteria for being one is quite simply having a deep affection and love towards the artist and their career / work output, in which case every single one of us qualifies as a superfan of David Bowie here on BWW and elsewhere.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
[linked image]

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

Re: Deep Pockets & Super Fans

No score for this post
September 26 2016, 11:08 AM 

Someone described Paul Kinder as a super fan. I wondered what that actually meant.

Seeing all the gigs or owning everything?

sam
(Login whitecaps)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 26 2016, 12:18 PM 

A "superfan" means travelling from show to show, always in the front row.

This message has been edited by whitecaps on Sep 26, 2016 12:42 PM

Dash_Away
(Login Dash_Away)
BW Member

Re: Deep Pockets &amp; Super Fans

No score for this post
September 26 2016, 1:20 PM 

Superfan is such a cringeworthy term. It's OK when applied to screeching, frenzied, hormonally inbalanced (and frankly scary) followers of Beiber, One Direction (and suchlike), but when applied to the likes of Bowie it seems, well, slightly naff and childish.

Paul Kinder
BW Member

Usually

No score for this post
September 26 2016, 11:51 PM 

Usually a term reserved for local regional newspapers.

Paddy
(Login pproche)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 26 2016, 1:57 PM 

Hi Trev,

I share your concern although I'm made sadder by the fact that the latest box set was sanctioned by Bowie. I guess all of the ones to come are too? (Box sets I mean). After those who knows what shit will be rolled out. Not much that those of us here want I imagine. I know, that you know I bought the box sets but it is my plan to buy them all and sell everything else I have and just keep these and whatever doesn't get a box set treatment. I have to state that they do sound great but I wouldn't have bought them if I didn't intend selling the rest (which is for storage reasons as much as anything else).

I used to think I was some sort of super fan until I came here and the collectors group on FB. That coupled with my memory not being what it was. PK is surely as super fan? The time alone he dedicates to the website, twitter and Facebook must make him one. I can only imagine what he has collected over the years. He has met Bowie, emailed Bowie and seen him god knows how many times. He must be surely.

Trev
(Login trevorhalvo)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 26 2016, 3:13 PM 

To be honest Paddy the reasons you give for buying the latest box sets are exactly the right reasons for someone to buy them, that! and those who are coming to Bowie as totally new virgin fans. I myself have stated here on BWW that would be the only reason I'd buy them, i.e. to free up storage space by downsizing my collection most of which I never look at or even play anyway. The only reason I haven't took the plunge is because of stupid attatchement to the content of my Bowie collection which hold memories of when and where I purchased, that and the stupid belief that by selling whatever is like selling out on part of my Bowie addiction / fandom which of course is complete and utter psychological bollox isn't it. A sensible course of action would be to go through the entire collection, sift out the less important stuff like numerous vanilla editions of Bowie's albums etc in order to self finance these latest box sets that way and give an actual purpose for owning them. However if your not going to do something like this then I really do fail to see the point in long time Bowie fans who have everything forking out approx £100 a throw just for the hell of it.

As for PK being a super fan? I'm not comfortable with calling him that, because it's like putting him on a higher plain than the rest of us which to me is just plain wrong for a lot of reasons. What I would call Paul is an extremely dedicated David Bowie fan ( Which to me is vastly different and a lot more worthy description of Paul than calling him a super fan ) of the highest order who freely gives up his time in pursuit of his passion which has the happy knock on effect of benefitting all of us, and for that I along with everyone else will always be extremely grateful for his efforts. What I would also call Paul is an extremely nice and genuine chap, who must have the paimtence of a saint, lol. I know because I've had the pleasure of meeting him.
[linked image]

Sinj
(Login sinj)
BW Member

Superfan

No score for this post
September 26 2016, 3:03 PM 

"I'm a superfan"

(channeling spartacus)

I agree - it is meaningless, I think just because I duck in to this forum regularly and am still obsessed with updates and "news" (how can there be news!?) I'm a fan, but how do I become super? (opens shirt to reveal Blue, Red and Yellow giant DB symbol)

I've seen Bowie many times, have bought far too many books and have multiple copies in multiple formats of the albums, but my spending and knowledge still pales in comparison to many.

That said, I keep reading articles and books now and find nothing that is really new to me.

I haven't bought the box set. I listened to The Gouster on Spotify and it's actually quite an interesting exercise, but certainly not worth shelling out on a repackaging of the same old, same old.

I would genuinely be happy if they just brought together all existing outtakes and rarities into a box set. I would quite likely pay for that.

Oh, and DVD/blu-ray releases covering all tours. Not much to ask is it?
happy.gif

Trev
(Login trevorhalvo)
BW Member

Re: Superfan

No score for this post
September 26 2016, 3:24 PM 

That's a great idea for a T shirt design Sinj. A replica Superman T with a massive big B instead of an S.

I'm this current climate of Bowie kerching that would be something my wicked side might just shell out for just for the hell of it happy.gif and let's be honest it would make a nice change from seeing the lightning flash image of Aladdin Sane being plastered everywhere.

Imagine the fun we could have BWW super fan spotting wink.gif then again maybe I need to get a life. happy.gif
[linked image]

Paddy
(Login pproche)
BW Member

Re: Superfan

No score for this post
September 26 2016, 4:58 PM 

Hi Trev, I agree 100% with what you said about Paul.

Hi All, Also with Dash on the description of the term Superfan. I wasn't being derogatory to PK in any way. I was accepting it as a term for somebody dedicated etc... it is a ridiculous term but I ran with it for want of a better one. I've said before my vocabulary is limited. No offence meant Paul Kinder.

Paul Kinder
BW Member

No offence

No score for this post
September 26 2016, 11:59 PM 

No offence taken whatsoever. I've been called a lot worse.

In fact I remember someone calling me a "doyen" in their Bowie book. I had to look up the meaning wink.gif

I must admit, I was more than flattered by that comment.

Trouble is now, my son continually takes the piss with it after he read the book.

I take everything with a pinch of salt. I'm 50-odd, and it's all rather childish at my age.

I think I prefer the term "dedicated".

Anonymous
(Login Dr.Ink)
BW Member

Re: No offence

No score for this post
September 27 2016, 1:06 AM 

astounding website... How in name of heavens do you manage it?

This message has been edited by Dr.Ink on Sep 27, 2016 1:21 AM

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 27 2016, 1:28 AM 

What's your most treasured Bowie item Paul.

I don't mean in money terms, although it could be.

Anonymous
(Login Dr.Ink)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 27 2016, 1:43 AM 

Im guessing 'hair'
... maybe a guitar pick

Doctoroctopussy
(Login doctoroctopussy)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 27 2016, 1:50 AM 

Its a fantastic resource and is much appreciated.
----------------------------------------------

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website