<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Boy George doc

October 10 2016 at 7:38 AM
No score for this post
sickboycj  (Login sickboycj)
BW Member

Check out the really good Boy George doc on BBC iplayer about growing up in the 70s,

Lots of Bowie.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Trev
(Login trevorhalvo)
BW Member

Re: Boy George doc

No score for this post
October 11 2016, 4:48 AM 

Really enjoyed this.

I'm not a massive Boy George fan but this was ok and a great snap shot of the 70s. Dunno what it was about the 70s because that decade was drab and grey and beset with industrial problems etc, but give me a time machine and I would set the dial to go back to that decade in a second, and not just because of Bowie or my youth back then either.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
[linked image]

Paul Kinder
(Premier Login paulkinder)
BW Member

Available for 27 more days

No score for this post
October 11 2016, 12:31 PM 

Michael.
(Login Mist001)
BW Member

Re: Available for 27 more days

No score for this post
October 11 2016, 3:38 PM 

It was absolutely superb and George was an inspired choice to tell the story. The stand out bits for me was when George looks at the camera and says 'Bowie was everything to me' and just the way he looks, it's 100% heartfelt. The other good bit is near the end when Rusty Egan is describing the Blitz nightclub and he's describing the music he'd play. It's tremendous! So good i fact, that I got that clip and put it on my YouTube page!

Definitely a must watch documentary!

Mist.
'When I saw the result, I threw up. My body rejected it.'

Dash_Away
(Login Dash_Away)
BW Member

No score for this post
October 11 2016, 4:46 PM 

Hugely enjoyable documentry, I thought, and George's genuine love for both the decade and Bowie was a joy to watch. Well done George.

Talking of the 70's, check out the new book 'Shock and Awe : Glam Rock and it's Legacy, From the Seventies to the Twenty First Century' by Simon Reynolds (one of the best rock writers of his generation). It's just come out and has garnered some great reviews. Put my order in already.

Trev
(Login trevorhalvo)
BW Member

No score for this post
October 11 2016, 4:48 PM 

One highlight for me was seeing Martin Degville of Sigue Sigue Sputnik fame making a few appearances.
[linked image]

wearyourwoundwithhonour
(Login Wearyourwoundwithhonor)
BW Member

Score 3.0 (1 person)
October 11 2016, 5:10 PM 

Can't view this outside the UK...if anyone has a link for international viewers it would be much appreciated.

Lee
(Login lestwh)
BW Member

No score for this post
October 12 2016, 12:20 AM 

Good to see Marilyn looking well,considering I thought he died years ago.

Am I just being cynical or did they plant that TMWSTW outside the record shop? happy.gif

Lee
(Login lestwh)
BW Member

No score for this post
October 12 2016, 12:27 AM 

"but give me a time machine and I would set the dial to go back to that decade in a second, and not just because of Bowie or my youth back then either."

Because Liverpool might actually win something?

Den
(Login nightflights)
BW Member

Boy George Doc

No score for this post
August 10 2017, 4:01 PM 

Yes you can if you have a device with Kodi on it.

DM me will tell you where to find it!

regards

sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
October 12 2016, 12:39 AM 

without pissing on anyone's parade. Do you think we remember the 70's fondly because we were younger and carefree and they were the times that shaped us?

The thing is with how we perceive decades would be very different, for instance being in your 30's or 40's in the 1970's. Would it be seen in the same rosey light?

This message has been edited by ziggythecowboy on Oct 12, 2016 12:42 AM

Michael.
(Login Mist001)
BW Member

No score for this post
October 12 2016, 12:45 AM 

There's a thing on Facebook just now saying that in a couple of years time, 1990 will be 30 years ago! That makes 1970 50 years ago!!

WTF did the time go?

Mist.
'When I saw the result, I threw up. My body rejected it.'

Doctoroctopussy
(Login doctoroctopussy)
BW Member

No score for this post
October 12 2016, 12:56 AM 

I seem to have become unstuck in time!!!
----------------------------------------------

Trev
(Login trevorhalvo)
BW Member

No score for this post
October 12 2016, 8:29 AM 

(( Because Liverpool might actually win something? ))

Ha ha very good Lee happy.gif however not strictly accurate because we won the League Cup in 2012 and we knocked Man United out of the Europa League last season, ( And we will win them again next Monday ) which to us is just as good as winning whatever 🖕wink.gif

On the subject of tbe70s, I remember it fondly because it wasn't so politically dam correct as well as life being so much more simple than today's over complicated bollocks.
[linked image]

Sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
October 12 2016, 9:07 AM 

"..simple than today's over complicated bollocks. "

You can't say "bollocks" it might offend those who don't have any.

Edit: The trouble is, Trump is the backlash to political correctness. But going too far to the right.

This message has been edited by ziggythecowboy on Oct 12, 2016 9:22 AM

Trev
(Login trevorhalvo)
BW Member

No score for this post
October 12 2016, 12:57 PM 

That's the majority well and truly offended then wink.gif
[linked image]

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 8 2017, 9:00 PM 

He's done a couple of these.

One ages ago with his brother in their old house.
"I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star"

https://godisimaginary.com/

Sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 9 2017, 8:52 AM 

That's been on youtube for sometime. I really enjoyed it. George was the perfect person for the telling about the journey of that era.

Makes me sad watching it. That the likes of that era will never happen again. everything changes.

MICHAEL FISH, UK HEIR
(Login LuisKantor)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 9 2017, 4:55 PM 

It was the era of real cultural pioneers. That's what's so annoying when commentators describe someone as "the new Bowie" - the cultural territory to which he staked his claim cannot be rediscovered: he opened strange doors that we'd never close again.

sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 9 2017, 11:53 PM 

Every generation has an opportunity to make a creative difference. Maybe Millennials do just not in a way that we would call credible. But then who are we to say that? I'm sure our parent's generation were saying the same thing about us in their era.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website