<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Bowie band gig at Brixton on Sunday

January 5 2017 at 9:42 PM
No score for this post

Woodsy  (Login Rick_O_Shea)
BW Member

Hi all

I just wanted to post a message to say that, for anyone who's in London on Sunday and going to the Bowie band gig at Brixton, do you fancy meeting up earlier for a visit to Bowie's South London?

I've done this a couple of times since last Jan, and apart from visiting some of the landmark places such as his old house in Plaistow Grove and the bandstand in Beckenham, it's a chance to explore a part of London that you wouldn't normally get to see.

If anyone fancies it, I'll be at Bromley South Station at 11.30am. It's a fair walk, with a couple of bus rides in between, but hopefully interesting.

Let me know if you're interested - I know it sounds a bit weird but I promise I'm quite harmless!!

Cheers
Paul

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
muzz
(Login muzz08)
BW Member

Re: Bowie band gig at Brixton on Sunday

No score for this post
January 5 2017, 10:22 PM 

I wish they weren't bits I wouldn't normally get to see......

Will pass, many thanks for the offer though.

What are you hoping for from the gig...?

Anonymous
(Login Rick_O_Shea)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 5 2017, 10:34 PM 

Adrian Belew thrashing the hell out of Beauty & The Beast!

Seriously though, just a chance to spend a potentially sad day with Bowie fans, listening to (hopefully) great music.

I don't see this as a cynical ride on the tribute band gravy train, but a chance for his close musical collaborators to celebrate the music.

Hope I'm not disappointed happy.gif

Paul

muzz
(Login muzz08)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 5 2017, 10:53 PM 

I'm hoping that given the reps of the band members it will be great, and that any guest singers understand what is and is not needed. Said it before but I'd be more than happy for GAD and Cat R to do most of the singing. I honestly can't see them getting in anyone anywhere near db in terms of stardom, and I don't think they'd beat what that band can do. Luv on all of them. It's going to be emotional.

AnAlligator
(Login An-Alligator)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 5 2017, 11:51 PM 

Nice offer, but I'm busy in the day on Saturday, plus I live in Beckenham anyway!

As for the gig, I've had an email today that doors open at 6.30 and the gig starts at 8 sharp. That's a pretty early start and should give us three hours of music! I'm starting to get excited about it. It's the only tribute I'm going to, it looks very sincere to me and the line up is great so far.

stuartreed
(Login stuartreed)
BW Member

brixton

No score for this post
January 7 2017, 7:28 PM 

Hope anyone going has a great night & for God's sake I really hope Sting doesn't turn up.
Why couldn't they get permission to play to Bowie backing tracks?

colin morris
(Login mr.newton)
BW Member

Bowie band gig at Brixton on Sunday

No score for this post
January 8 2017, 10:12 AM 

To all are going have a great time.
To all the band, thanks for the memories your boss would of been proud.
Love on Ya,
Mr.Newton

AnAlligator
(Login An-Alligator)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 8 2017, 7:11 PM 

In Brixton Academy now. Massive queue round 3 blocks to get in - biggest queue I've seen here. Currently a Life On Mars singalong :-/. Hoping the naysayers on here aren't going to be proved right,but it's not looking good so far !

Michael.
(Login Mist001)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 8 2017, 10:24 PM 

Poor reports are coming onto FB now about it. I just saw them and Joe Elliot out of Def Leppard singing 'Suffragette City' and it was grim.

Mist.
'When I saw the result, I threw up. My body rejected it.'

AnAlligator
(Login An-Alligator)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 8 2017, 11:28 PM 

Well, Michael, I've been cautiously optimistic about this gig, but I'm ready to admit, for the most part, that I was wrong and you (and lots of others on here!) were right!

The band were great for the most part, but very much in the Rawk mode of the Reality tour, to be expected I suppose.

I didn't know roughly half the singers, I got excited about La Roux stepping up for Golden Years, as she's pretty much affectionately based herself on that era DB for many years. But either she was nervous, or the mic was down as I could barely hear her. Likewise with the string section, from where I stood the sound was just overly loud and flat.

Stay was a real highlight, Earl Slick superb for that and throughout. I'll also single out Adrian Belew - a great solo acoustic Life On Mars?, plus he sang some songs really well. Him and GAD were about the only singers that weren't showboating.

Overall, I enjoyed it, just. 3 hours straight through, so even discounting the dreck, there was lots left to enjoy.

Biggest plus - I was right in front of Garson so I could watch his magic fingers whenever I got bored.

Biggest minus - I may never be able to forget Tony Hadley massacreing Changes. What were they thinking?

This message has been edited by An-Alligator on Jan 9, 2017 12:48 AM

Michael.
(Login Mist001)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 8 2017, 11:34 PM 

I saw a clip of them doing 'Heroes' and Belew sound the best of the lot of them! His guitar playing was such a contrast to Slicks clunky rawk riff playing.

Mist.

AnAlligator
(Login An-Alligator)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 8 2017, 11:41 PM 

Yes, Slick can be so self consciously Rock Star sometimes, but when it fits, like in Stay, it really fits! The band was constantly rotating, so he wasn't even on stage a lot of the time.

If you're talking contrasts, Slick and Belew were the ultimate. I kept thinking Belew was a roadie each time he came on! Came across as very humble and just about the performance rather than being the star. I was impressed.

AnAlligator
(Login An-Alligator)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 8 2017, 11:50 PM 

Michael where are they talking it on FB? I'd like to have a look and find out who the singers were! Perhaps naively, I thought famous fans would be lining up take part, but alas not.

Michael.
(Login Mist001)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 8 2017, 11:55 PM 

Well, I can't really post the persons name publicly on here, but they've been posting video clips during the show, and people have been discussing them. You'd have to be a FB pal of mine to find them!

Mist.

Jan
(Login FTcollector)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 8 2017, 11:58 PM 

muzz
(Login muzz08)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 12:14 AM 

In a near 3 hour show from that many musicians you're gonna get some highlights and some not so high.....

I thought it was pretty damn good overall. I loved hearing GAD sing Young Americans and Space Oddity, she's pure class.

Yes I could have done without the new romantic contingent but hey they loved db too. Joe Elliott and Bernard Fowler tore it up where it needed tearing up. Some of the guests I didn't know but wotevs.

Yes the sound was patchy. Belew's pedals sounded a bit off but it may just have been where I was standing. Slick was, well, Slick. He was having a ball. Gerry Leonard and Mark Plati were cool and held a lot together.

Everyone who appeared deserves much credit. There were scores of musicians and I've only mentioned a fraction. Those who played with db on the last tours and records I feel the most for tbh. There was a lot of love on that stage.

AnAlligator
(Login An-Alligator)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 12:21 AM 

Quick bit of poking around found this full vid of GAD doing Young Americanshttps://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1264092843636667&id=237329322979696&_rdr

Lee
(Login lestwh)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 12:36 AM 

I remember Steve Norman being a right poser at Live Aid.
He hasn't changed much. happy.gif

Jan
(Login FTcollector)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 1:37 AM 

Intro and Dead Man Walking

https://youtu.be/VMqW9L-WkTY

This message has been edited by FTcollector on Jan 9, 2017 2:17 AM

Michael.
(Login Mist001)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 2:05 AM 

Well, that was crap.

Mist.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website