<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

Re: Bowie band gig at Brixton on Sunday

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 8:54 AM 

We knew it would fall flat because of the vocalists - they could never have got it right but I think those who went had a super time.

Maybe next time they should just approach a Dave Brighton or similar and go all out for a sound-a-like vibe with costumes for added fun. That would've been nice.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   

J
(Login cruelgarden)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 9:15 AM 

Looks great. Wish I'd been there. Is there a set list knocking about? There are only 4/5 clips on YT. The ones Ive seen look and sound great so dont know why all the negative comments. People have a right to celebrate his music especially in these dark times.

Jx

"Aint there one damn song"

Anonymous
(Login BenderRodriguez)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 9:16 AM 

It was a bizarre night. Some moments were brilliant. Lady Grinning Soul with Holly Palmer promoted to main vocals, sounding like the Bond theme it never was, Joe Elliot ripping through Suffragette City, Angelo Moore (Fishbone) turning Ashes to Ashes into some sort of voodoo sermon, Aladdin Sane was as awesome and nostalgic as you'd expect, while maybe Tom from Keane gave the best performance on Life on Mars with Belew replicating Ronson's guitar note for note.

However, the personnel just kept on changing, fairly obscure singers generally weren't introduced, and there were technical hitches. I counted 3 drummers, 3 bassists about 5 guitarists, the string ensemble, the horn section, the gospel community choir and maybe 10 guest vocalists. It was almost chaos. The worst moment was when Elly Jackson from La Roux basically forgot half the lyrics from Golden Years, or the band were out of sync on Sound & Vision.

Strange that it took singers like Le Bon and Hadley to bring some order to the stage. Belew was value for money. He had a ball on Dj and Boys Keep Swinging.

Personally, I think it would have worked better if the band were consistent (just the Reality band with Belew would have been perfect) and they introduced the guest vocalists, like Queen did at the Freddy Tribute. I was ready to leave after 3 hours.

7/10 would be my rating. Seemed more like a work in progress. I reckon by the time they get to LA they will have streamlined it and it will be a very decent show.

J
(Login cruelgarden)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 9:19 AM 

Cheers. Hope they sort out the tech problems. Who sang Aladdin Sane?

Anonymous
(Login BenderRodriguez)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 9:45 AM 

Gail sang Aladdin Sane. Garson was the star of this. The singer was almost irrelevant! Gail was great, it was pretty special seeing band members from different eras united.

This message has been edited by BenderRodriguez on Jan 11, 2017 2:49 PM

AnAlligator
(Login An-Alligator)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 9:50 AM 

I forgot about DJ! That was really great. The morning after I'm tending to remember the good bits, which is a good thing.

Is like to see a setlist too! 3 hours, I just can't remember who sang what, and I'd like to know who the vocalists were. I think most/all were introduced or back announced, but half arsedly on secondary mics so I couldn't understand through Brixton Academy's vast sound system.

I'm still disappointed with the lack of variance in the vocalists. The big guy with the dreadlocks and hat did loads, he was ok, but I'll bet they could have found some willing and interesting volunteers if they'd asked around!

I think Iwanted something drifting more towards a Bowie Proms reinvention vibe, but I think Oldman and the band just wanted a party vibe.

On another note, I believe Dead Man Walking and Where Are We Now were the only post 80s songs. It makes me sad the general public aren't getting introduced to the full 'legacy'. Even when there's a doc called 'The Last Five Years' most of the content is from the 70s FFS!

Anonymous
(Login BenderRodriguez)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 9:57 AM 

as I remember it, the decades were represented like this:

80s - ashes to ashes, fashion, under pressure, let's dance, loving the alien
90s - dead man walking
00s -
10s - wawn
60s - space oddity
70s - tmwstw, changes, life on mars, ziggy, five years, suffragette city, jean genie, aladdin sane, lady grinning soul, sorrow, rebel rebel, diamond dogs, young americans, fame, win, golden years, stay, sound and vision, heroes, dj & boys keep swinging

AnAlligator
(Login An-Alligator)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 10:03 AM 

That list says it all! The more this goes on, the more DB is seen as a 70s artist, with everything else just footnotes - that would be terrible.

Or, you could say the 90s are really ripe for rediscovery, some interesting and well conceived reissues could really reframe that decade.

V2David
(Login v2david)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 2:22 PM 

I think they missed an opportunity to do more from TND. As some of the band performed on TND, it would have been nice to hear their interpretation of some of the songs live. I can understand them not doing anything from Blackstar, as maybe they don't have the right band for it. It would be nice if Donny McCaslin showed up at the NY show, but I'm not holding my breath.

As I stated on another post, I am surprised Gail didn't do "Under Pressure" which is one of her signature songs.

We may see a slightly different setlist with different special guests, but chances are we aren't going to hear much more from the 90s to the present. A bit of a disappointment, but I guess that is expected. At least we are getting some gems such as "Lady Grinning Soul".

V2David
(Login v2david)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 2:25 PM 

Mist -- At least you got to hear "Let's Dance"!

Jan
(Login FTcollector)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 2:33 PM 

Setlist & performers are in the description of this one:

https://youtu.be/cn9lqHCLwl4

Do check out Space Oddity:

https://youtu.be/dfOZ_lGZKDo

Michael.
(Login Mist001)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 2:40 PM 

I'm looking forward to Sting now.

Bring the Sting, he sure can sing!

It's right up there with Lady Gaga and I bet someone on here is already thinking 'Sting will nail it!'

LOL!

Mist.
'When I saw the result, I threw up. My body rejected it.'

Anonymous
(Login BenderRodriguez)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 2:41 PM 

I am pretty sure that with Gail having sung Under Pressure as a duet with Bowie from 95 - 2004, Gail wasn't emotionally up to it.

Although I have grumbled about a few aspects, it was a very good gig. Very few songs I didn't want to applaud. They performed for 3 hours and gave us loads of well loved songs.

Trying to condense 30 or so albums and 5 decades of his artistry into 3 hours was a big ask, so they went for the best known songs and a few gems that people with just hits albums might not have heard, like Lady Grinning Soul and Win.

AnAlligator
(Login An-Alligator)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 7:45 PM 

A few papers have reviewed the gig online now. Reading through them,it's amusing there's at least three or four instances where one review cites a particular song as a highlight, whilst another says the very same performance was a low point.

Just shows you can't please everyone.

AnAlligator
(Login An-Alligator)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 8:05 PM 

Here's the setlist with performers, not sure it's 100‰ right, must be from a press release or something. I've already had to delete Wild is the Wind. Pretty sure the gospel choir featured on more songs too. Any further corrections from those with better recall are very welcome!

'Dead Man Walking’ – Gary Oldman
‘Rebel Rebel’ – Bernard Fowler
‘Sorrow’ – Gary Oldman and Joe Sumner
‘Five Years’ – Gaby Moreno
‘Golden Years’ – La Roux
‘Lady Grinning Soul’ – Holly Palmer
‘The Man Who Sold The World’ – Jeremy Little and Gary Oldman
‘Diamond Dogs’ – Bernard Fowler
‘Life On Mars’ – Tom Chaplin
‘Young Americans’ – Gail Ann Dorsey & The London Community Gospel Choir
‘Ashes To Ashes’ – Angelo Moore
‘Win’ – Bernard Fowler & The London Community Gospel Choir
‘All The Young Dudes’ – Joe Elliot & The London Community Gospel Choir
‘Fame’ – Adrian Belew
‘Fashion’ – Alex Painter
‘Sound And Vision’ – Adrian Belew
‘Changes’ – Tony Hadley
‘Rock And Roll Suicide’ – Bernard Fowler
‘Where Are We Now’ – Holly Palmer
‘Stay’ – Bernard Fowler
‘Aladdin Sane’ – Gail Ann Dorsey
‘Space Oddity’ – Gain Ann Dorsey
‘Starman’ – Mr Hudson
‘D.J.'/’Boys Keep Swinging’ – Adrian Belew
‘Ziggy Stardust’ – Angelo Moore
‘Moonage Daydream’ – Angelo Moore
‘Suffragette City’ – Joe Elliot
‘Heroes’ – Bernard Fowler
ENCORE:
‘Loving The Alien’ – Catherine Russell
Jean Genie – ‘Bernard Fowler
‘Let’s Dance’ – Simon Le Bon & The London Community Gospel Choir
‘Under Pressure’ – Joe Sumner, Catherine Russell & The London Community Gospel Choir

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 8:53 PM 

Put it in the setlist thread you clown

AnAlligator
(Login An-Alligator)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 8:56 PM 

Aye aye cap, just done it.

Every circus needs a clown you know. Even DBs career had a few of them.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website