<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

No Plan EP

January 8 2017 at 12:17 AM
No score for this post

Anonymous  (Login NorseSwagger)
BW Member

http://smarturl.it/NoPlanEP?IQid=NoPlanVideo

The Bowie tracks previously only available on the Lazarus cast recording soundtrack are now available as an EP (digital only)

1. Lazarus (album version)
2. No Plan
3. Killing a Little Time
4. When I Met You

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
EB
(Login EchoBowie)
BW Member

Re: No Plan EP

No score for this post
January 8 2017, 7:01 AM 

Great to have it on Spotify now too:http://spoti.fi/2i217B9

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 8 2017, 9:29 AM 

I wonder if these were left with the instruction to release them today, but someone got greedy and stuck then (totally out of place) on the Lazarus cast recording and totally blew any impact they would've had coming out as a surprise today.

Anonymous
(Login TimmySheen)
BW Member

Score 5.0 (1 person)
January 8 2017, 10:28 AM 

Possibly. I'm glad to get them on Spotify and it vindicates my decision not to buy the cast recording. However can I just say I really dislike both Lazarus and No Plan. They are both dirges, which I accept they are meant to be but I don't want to hear them. I also dislike the video, putting the lyrics on the screens was the wrong choice - it's the third or fourth of his recent videos they've done that with, they should have stuck with images. However I think killing a little time is good.

I don't know if we will get any more genuinely new surprises. The Scott walker collaboration probably doesn't exist, apart from blaze I don't know what else there is that's likely to get a release and who would authorise such a release. I could possibly see a deluxe Blackstar with the EP tracks plus blaze but that hardly sets the heather on fire. At the end of the day we've had plenty, I'd be happy to leave at that rather than eek it out with insignificant releases.

AnAlligator
(Login An-Alligator)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 8 2017, 6:23 PM 

Hangman, I suspect you're right. Bit of a flub doing this on what has traditionally become Bowie Release Day.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 8:58 AM 

If so, it shows we don't stand a chance when it's money men rather than those with a keen eye for a nice surprise are in charge.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 1:05 PM 

Foxgrove Road. Nice touch in the video.

Anonymous
(Login BenderRodriguez)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 1:55 PM 

That was the first thing I spotted. I think it's been added digitally as the size of the lettering changes. Foxgrove Road is a desirable tree-lined road in a residential and fairly quiet part of Beckenham. No shops.

Nothing like the urban street this was filmed in, which is Brockley according to the writing on the laundrette (if that wasn't just added for the video).

This message has been edited by BenderRodriguez on Jan 9, 2017 1:55 PM

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 2:10 PM 

Same. I chortled at Newton Electricals. Obvious to tie in nicely with Lazarus, but the fact it's just a little junk shop rather than the massive empire of the film.

Both add a beautiful nostalgia to the song. He nearly sings I'm Not Quite too.. a song demoed on Foxgrove Road.

Anonymous
(Login BenderRodriguez)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 2:30 PM 

That's what I first thought when I first heard No Plan (honest), I had to go back and re-listen to the Letter to Hermione Beckenham demo to check. It's like a subtler version of him wearing a Song of Norway t-shirt perhaps. Them splitting up was the best thing that ever happened to him.

I wondered if the wall of TVs being old fashioned combined with the passing cars being modern was deliberate, like it was mixing 2017 with 1969 and the people were just viewing a window into the past with fascination. That rocket could have been Apollo 11 launching for the 69 moon landing, which obviously ties in with Beckenham and Space Oddity.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 2:41 PM 

Yeah. It's a nice video and I think I'll be watching it more, unlike say Valentine's Day.

Anonymous
(Login Zigire)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 2:48 PM 

Here's the filming location:https://goo.gl/maps/UE9giE2Pat72

Anonymous
(Login BenderRodriguez)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 3:14 PM 

Brilliant. I didn't think the subtle Brockley writing was added, so did think it was Brockley. I had googled a few laundrettes in the area, but you've saved me a fair bit of searching.

I wonder if the road has been widened recently or if it was just digital trickery that makes the pavement look so narrow compared to the street view from last May.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15894443_10154864826776228_2066887097596809502_n.jpg?oh=7baa63e931b427e53a99472f9c90f21b&oe=58E5BEEE

Anonymous
(Login Zigire)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 4:00 PM 

I did a google search for Brockley launderettes as per your hint above.

I've just done a bit of digging on twitter and found these tweets:

https://twitter.com/GR1900/status/809909579362533377
https://twitter.com/GR1900/status/809910480127070209

So it looks to have been filmed on the 16th Dec...

Anonymous
(Login BenderRodriguez)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 4:11 PM 

Ah, what they've done is raised the pavement to make it seem like it's on a slope to enable them to narrow it and put in an artificial dropped kerb and 2 bollards. So it's neither digital trickery, nor has the pavement been narrowed.

Interesting that they've gone to that much effort for a certain look. The Laundrette closed in September making it available to fill with TVs. The director obviously had a very clear vision of the look they wanted.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cz1hRsTXAAAZ4r4.jpg

muzz
(Login muzz08)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 4:45 PM 

Good googling......

Why Foxgrove tho.....? Isn't that where Mary Finnegan lived? Did he record anything there? [this is all off top of my head btw]

Valentino Liberace
(Login Valentino_Liberace)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 5:04 PM 

As soon as I saw the video I jumped onto google map's Street View and ..... 'walked' down the entire 1.2 Km length of Foxgrove Road, looking both left and right for the Brockley Laundrette ... Doh!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

[linked image]

This message has been edited by Valentino_Liberace on Jan 9, 2017 5:20 PM

christian
(Login attfiecz)
BW Member

Foxgrove recording

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 9:04 PM 

No known recordings from Foxgrove Rd.
The bedroom tape is almost certainly from Clairville Grove, Hutch has stated that.
He also ruled out Lou Reisner's office which is a rare factual error for Any Day Now.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

Re: Foxgrove recording

No score for this post
January 19 2017, 7:33 PM 

Yes I know that thanks.

Nemo
(Login whidbeyisland)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 19 2017, 5:18 PM 

"I wondered if the wall of TVs being old fashioned combined with the passing cars being modern was deliberate, like it was mixing 2017 with 1969 and the people were just viewing a window into the past with fascination. That rocket could have been Apollo 11 launching for the 69 moon landing, which obviously ties in with Beckenham and Space Oddity."

"As soon as you walk down the street… or look out the window, turn a page, turn on the TV – your awareness is being cut: that sign in the shop window, that car passing by, the sound of the radio… Life IS a cut-up."
William S. Burroughs

This message has been edited by whidbeyisland on Jan 19, 2017 5:21 PM

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website