<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The ORIGINAL Lazarus - Bowie's Secret Unfinished Musical And Why It Was Abandoned

January 9 2017 at 5:08 PM
Score 5.0 (1 person)
Dash_Away  (Login Dash_Away)
BW Member
from IP address 94.174.91.141

Complete with Space Aliens, unreleased Bob Dylan recordings and Mariachi bands....

www.gq.com/story/david-bowie-musical

His collaborator reveals one major exclusive reveal as to why the project was abandoned after several months working on it. Namely, that Bowie's "heart trouble recurred" requiring "immediate surgery." This, a couple of years or more after his heart attack in 2004.

Interesting stuff.

This message has been edited by Dash_Away from IP address 94.174.91.141 on Jan 9, 2017 5:10 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
V2David
(Login v2david)
BW Member

Re: The ORIGINAL Lazarus - Bowie's Secret Unfinished Musical And Why It Was Abandoned

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 6:20 PM 

If this is true, it is certainly fascinating.

Anonymous
(Login Highway101)
BW Member

Re: The ORIGINAL Lazarus - Bowie's Secret Unfinished Musical And Why It Was Abandoned

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 6:24 PM 

More pieces to the puzzle that many were sure existed thank you for the post I would have likely missed this.

mikewest
(Login west406)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 6:27 PM 

Cricky, sounds too good to be true, so maybe it is, surely you couldn't make anything up like that!

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 6:33 PM 

I think it's very telling that the credit refers to Cunningham's piece as a "story" not an "article". Cunningham is, after all, a writer of fiction.
"I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star"

gabe
(Login gabe_)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 6:51 PM 

Fascinating look into Bowie's quiet years. I figured he would have to be up to something to pass the time. I'm sure more stories will be coming out about what he was up to during those quiet years.

Peter
(Login Pierre-Le-Puff)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 6:59 PM 

Really interesting. This is the sort of thing I would have liked included in The Last Five Years documentary.

Richard
(Login ikonikon)
BW Member

a writer of fiction

No score for this post
January 13 2017, 9:30 PM 

I am very sure, but can't remember where, that DB himself talked about this collaboration, but saw it mentioned only once. The newsbit excited me tremendously because Cunningham is one of my fave author.

When did DB publish his list of favorite 100 books anyways?

Jan
(Login FTcollector)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 7:21 PM 

Looks like Mist's body is not rejecting this story, or is he just taking a nap ? 😀

Em
(Login crackedemerald)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 7:30 PM 

A quietly moving article, and sad to know that he really had health problems in his later years.

Mr. Bowie had a tendency to blow hot and cold on projects anyway, and his collaborators didn't always know why. I've got a box full of failed and incomplete projects - every artist does - but I'd say Mr. Cunningham's experience was priceless whether the project went anywhere or not.

Michael.
(Login Mist001)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 9:17 PM 

I read it earlier, I've no idea if it's fiction or not BUT since the events took place around 10 years ago, the writer says that Bowie had heart problems again and needed immediate surgery.

There's the reason for the no show at the Highline Festival. The timing fits.

Mist.
'When I saw the result, I threw up. My body rejected it.'

V2David
(Login v2david)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 9 2017, 9:54 PM 

In retrospect, this all makes sense now. Bowie was just taking a well needed break after The Reality Tour in 2004 (and its abrupt end). He hadn't officially decided to retire at the time. He had a few guest appearances, and was just taking a break. A few years later around the Highline Festival, he was getting ready to get back at it. A second immediate surgery (or some type of health scare) caused the cancellation of his anticipated Highline set. After the recent health scares and return to normal family life, Mr. Bowie decided that was it & slipped into the anonymity of David Jones.

sickboycj
(Login sickboycj)
BW Member

Score 5.0 (1 person)
January 9 2017, 10:02 PM 

I have a vague memory of reading an interview around this time time with one of Bowie's guitarists, can't remember who, who said something like he went to Bowie's house and, it took him a few moments, but he looked the room around and realised that Bowie was working on a big project, I wonder if this was it.

I've looked around for this interview several times in the last few years but never been able to find it again. Maybe I dreamt it lol! Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 10 2017, 6:48 AM 

Mandella Effect.

Good link in OP although I hate GQ and Dylan Jones with a passion.

Barton
(Login BartonLondon)
BW Member

The ORIGINAL Lazarus - Bowie's Secret Unfinished Musical And Why It Was Abandoned

No score for this post
January 13 2017, 3:19 AM 

I have to say I found this article to be beautifully written and quite moving. The unusual details, such as David being enamored with the white, tiny rubber doll shoes the author collected, add credibility to the piece and make me believe it is likely true. I also really love the ideas David presented for the "original" Lazarus. Unfortunately, I have not seen the final product in New York or London...Can you imagine David composing a trove of Bob Dylan songs? What would Bob Dylan think? happy.gif Then Mariachi music? Only David could come up with such bizarre ideas...Also, the description of David's warmth and his "English" embarrassment seemed very real to me. If the story is not true, the author is a very gifted writer (obviously), so no wonder David sought him out. Thank you for posting this.

Em
(Login crackedemerald)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 13 2017, 9:42 PM 

"Shoes, shoes, little white shoes."

Thylacine
(Login Thylacine8)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 13 2017, 10:19 PM 

Great catch Em.

Barton
(Login BartonLondon)
BW Member

Little White Shoes

No score for this post
January 14 2017, 1:49 AM 

HaHaHa!

That IS an excellent catch.

I will have to go listen to We Prick You...

That is actually pretty amazing that those lyrics would match up with the author's story...

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

Re: Little White Shoes

No score for this post
January 14 2017, 9:09 AM 

Is it the guy who wrote The Hours, sort of based around Mrs Dalloway. It reads like a fantasy story.
"I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star"

nessler
(Login nessler)
BW Member

Could this be....

No score for this post
January 14 2017, 10:07 AM 

the ongoing project ?

There's a discussion going on, over at official Bowienet forum.
Member Jlope posted photo's of that night, and it appears that Cunningham was indeed present at the premiere.

This message has been edited by nessler from IP address 78.23.19.202 on Jan 14, 2017 10:20 AM

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website