<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

My abiding Bowie memory

January 10 2017 at 8:57 PM
No score for this post
KristophG  (Login KristophG)
BW Member
from IP address 88.109.169.98

Wrote a perhaps overly earnest tribute blog post on the Bowie moment that stayed with me the longest, namely his mid-90s performance of Hallo Spaceboy on Later with JH, which completely blew me and my teenage muckers away, and instantly converted us to Bowie from that moment.

www.krisgriffiths.co.uk/blog/my-abiding-david-bowie-memory

Would be interested to hear if anyone else remembers seeing it at the time and their thoughts on the performance?

This message has been edited by KristophG from IP address 88.109.169.98 on Jan 10, 2017 9:58 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

wok
(Login wokwokwok)
BW Member

Re: My abiding Bowie memory

No score for this post
January 11 2017, 12:25 AM 

i was already into him at the time, but yes i saw jools when it aired...funny you brought that into my mind because now i remember the girl's apartment i was in at time...the memory had not occurred to me before. i became a massive fan of spaceboy after that and he played it all 3 times i went to see him live. always a highlight. the 95 one was cracking but equally good on earthling tour. it didn't have the same punch until the arrangement on a reality tour.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

Re: My abiding Bowie memory

No score for this post
January 11 2017, 9:02 AM 

I was definitely not interested by this point - I remember watching it with my pals and the comments were along the lines of 'how many effects pedals does that guy have?' 'Why are there so many people on stage?' and I was glad he was singing about space again. Was pleased when the remix came out but think it has dated badly IMO.

KristophG
(Login KristophG)
BW Member

Re: Re: My abiding Bowie memory

No score for this post
January 11 2017, 6:39 PM 

Agreed that it has badly dated. Never liked it much to begin with.

Den
(Login nightflights)
BW Member

I remember

No score for this post
January 11 2017, 5:07 PM 

Going into work on the Monday and a colleague saying to me "Did you See Fridays edition of Jools" Well of course I did! He said "That fucking version of Hallo Spaceboy blew me away!" to which I replied "Is there another?"

He was of course referring to the released PSB version to which I had a bit of a sneaky chortle. He bought the album and various others after that!

KristophG
(Login KristophG)
BW Member

Re: I remember

No score for this post
January 11 2017, 6:37 PM 

I thought the PSB version didn't come out until many months later - maybe it was a different performance of Hallo Spaceboy? I know there was one on Channel 4's 'The White Room' too.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website