<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Stage or reality - bowie was at his happiest?

January 11 2017 at 10:48 AM
No score for this post
forever influenced  (Login bobjonesfan)
BW Member

just watched some stage footage... Cant help but feel he was as happy on that tour as he was on reality. Listening to Gail and others recently about his humour and relaxed, healthy feel about himself in and amongst other musicians on tour and left wondering if he really was as happy as he looks? ..... Has belew written much that tour?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Loww
(Login leoloww)
BW Member

Re: Stage or reality - bowie was at his happiest?

No score for this post
January 11 2017, 12:12 PM 

Belew did not write material for the Stage tour.

This message has been edited by leoloww on Jan 11, 2017 1:24 PM

Anonymous
(Login BenderRodriguez)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 11 2017, 12:46 PM 

I believe the original poster is asking if Belew has written much about his time on that tour. If he recalled Bowie being happy, what the vibe was like, did Bowie throw a guitar when live on stage (like on the 1990 tour), etc...

V2David
(Login v2david)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 11 2017, 9:53 PM 

I figure Bowie was at his happiest during the Reality Tour (at least until he got weary as it started to drag on). You can certainly see how playful and happy he seemed in all of the backstage clips. But Bowie I believe was most personable during the Earthling Tour. Played tons of small venues and really seemed to be enjoying himself.

Gabor
(Login Gabor_C)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 11 2017, 10:11 PM 

The Hours minitour was fantastically intimate.

sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 11 2017, 10:19 PM 

He looked happy during the Reality tour for sure. However towards the end thing took a turn not just exhaustion but also the Lollipop experience, one of his crew dying and then the infamous Hurricane Festival.

Speaking of the Hurricane Festival you can just see how tired he is, My wife saw the clip on The Last Five Years and said what how ill he looked. He really does.

Gabor
(Login Gabor_C)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 11 2017, 10:15 PM 

Sean Mayes diaries of the Stage tour were published.

wok
(Login wokwokwok)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 11 2017, 10:51 PM 

^ oh yeah, i'd say that's an interesting read. i read too many biographies back in the day but firsthand accounts are always insightful

Anonymous
(Login bobjonesfan)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 13 2017, 12:59 AM 

Yeah i'd forgotton about him and the diaries. Thanks.

Anonymous
(Login bobjonesfan)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 13 2017, 1:07 AM 

Yes. It was about personal accounts of what he was like to be around etc..... After watching so much of the gail, mike,earl tv stuff, and thoroughly enjoying listening to them, it left my wondering if he was as jovial as he appeared on reality tour than the stage tour. Certainly looked to be enjoying himself a lot on stage, on the stage tour. Was it the first tour as just david bowie? No characters?

Anonymous
(Login brianslade)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 13 2017, 12:41 AM 

Black Tie White Noise

He seemed content

birotheleggy
(Login biro_the_leggy)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 13 2017, 12:53 AM 

(edit)

ehh... never mind.

This message has been edited by biro_the_leggy on Jan 13, 2017 12:55 AM

mikewest
(Login west406)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 15 2017, 6:09 PM 

Bowie , never toured Black Tie, White Noise !!!

sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 17 2017, 11:07 PM 

"Bowie , never toured Black Tie, White Noise !!!"

true but that would have been when he was at his most content.

Michael.
(Login Mist001)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 17 2017, 11:23 PM 

He was going to, though. He intended originally to tour BTWN, YA, and STS back to back live. I can't remember why, but he went off the idea.

Mist.
'When I saw the result, I threw up. My body rejected it.'

Sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 18 2017, 5:43 AM 

"He was going to, though. He intended originally to tour BTWN, YA, and STS back to back live. I can't remember why, but he went off the idea."

In context with the time, wasn't that when he said he would stop playing all his old stuff?

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 18 2017, 7:40 AM 

Yes. That would've been 3 years after that promise.

Although he'd slipped already by doing Under Pressure, Heroes and ATYD at the Freddie Mercury Tribute in 1992.

To be fair, he was more hinting that he wouldn't until his new stuff sits well alongside his old stuff. Which, lets face it, BTWN just doesn't.

Michael.
(Login Mist001)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 18 2017, 9:51 AM 

I think it was because he felt that STS was too short an album to be played live and I think this was around 1997. The whole thing is in a Q magazine from around that time, which I don't have.

Mist.
'When I saw the result, I threw up. My body rejected it.'

sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 18 2017, 9:17 PM 

"Yes. That would've been 3 years after that promise. "

well yes of course.

"To be fair, he was more hinting that he wouldn't until his new stuff sits well alongside his old stuff. Which, lets face it, BTWN just doesn't."

there's a whole different conversation right there. happy.gif

birotheleggy
(Login biro_the_leggy)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 19 2017, 12:56 AM 

speaking of playing YA/STS/BTWN... I think that was an article from around 2002-ish
...not long after the Low/Heathen show

b/c I remember him also suggesting TMWSTW/Earthling

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website