<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Was David lurking on BWW the name Sailor?

January 11 2017 at 12:35 PM
Score 2.0 (1 person)
TJNewton  (Login themysteries)
BW Member

I have just read a piece on the AV Club site to suggest that in the mid 2000's david used to lurk on his own message boards
using the name Sailor. I have done a search on BWW and there is indeed a 'Sailor' (last post 2007 I think) and given some
of the enigmatic comments posted under that name, I could well have been him.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Anonymous
(Login BenderRodriguez)
BW Member

Re: Was David lurking on BWW the name Sailor?

No score for this post
January 11 2017, 12:42 PM 

I believe that he found this board to be immensely useful as we didn't know he was lurking and were anything but zealots.

If he wanted sycophancy then he'd go to his Bowienet message boards, if he wanted to hear criticism and a more honest appraisal of his fans' reactions to his work this was the place for him to visit.

Not that we were always of sound judgement, nor in 100% agreement with each other, but if he read on here that TND was great, but a little safe and not too dissimilar to what he was doing in 2003, and that it had too many track and he might benefit from a new direction, then he might have subliminally taken it on board when he was planning his next album.

TJNewton
(Login themysteries)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 11 2017, 12:45 PM 

Thanks for that... God knows what he made of some of the comments around 2010 to 2012 about his lack of
output. Some if it was particularly unpleasant I seem to remember.

Anonymous
(Login BenderRodriguez)
BW Member

Score 5.0 (1 person)
January 11 2017, 12:54 PM 

I felt bad when the pap shots appeared and it showed him looking (understandably) old, and people were critical. That wasn't helpful really. I tried to defend the pics by saying a small on-camera flash from a distance would make people look older.

Interesting to note that he only allowed out retouched photos and his own photographer for his return. Jimmy King, who presumably signed a NDA agreement to never release the unretouched photos.

But, I think our frustrations at him not putting out new material would have delighted him, as it proved his stealthy operation was working and he could fool us all by returning on his birthday.

I gave up expecting any new music in 2012 when he didn't sing at the London Olympics, despite him dancing around the room to them playing Heroes, according to a tweet from Duncan. Then I thought that was it. I did post that him plotting a surprise comeback was a possible reason for his no-show, but thought at nearly 66 it was unlikely. Hah, he fooled me! happy.gif

This message has been edited by BenderRodriguez on Jan 11, 2017 12:55 PM

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

Score 2.0 (1 person)
January 11 2017, 3:57 PM 

There are screenshots of Sailor on Teenagewildlife doing the rounds currently. 100% not him.

mikewest
(Login west406)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 11 2017, 5:52 PM 

Isn't sailor an anagram of Isolar !

Anonymous
(Login whizzkidworld)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 11 2017, 7:15 PM 

i believe he got a recipe for his famous veggi bake from one of Claude the frauds posts on here.
"It's great to express myself on this message board. Thank you, Paul."

wok
(Login wokwokwok)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 11 2017, 10:22 PM 

Iman stole my recipe for Shepard's Pie. I at least deserve what Corrine got for that.

Michael.
(Login Mist001)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 11 2017, 10:48 PM 

He WAS retired until he read my post one day saying that he was in the business all his life and an artist just doesn't switch off his creativity like a light switch.

Obviously when he read my sage words, he went out and made 'The Next Day'.

(Well, the current Bowie ├želebrations are all about Me! Me! Me!, so I thought I'd join in and make it about me as well)

Mist.
'When I saw the result, I threw up. My body rejected it.'

tintoy
(Login tintoy)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 12 2017, 9:38 AM 

With respect Michael you were saying at the time that he had nothing to say to you because of his age. Hinting maybe that it was all a young persons game. I distinctly remember listing relevant 'old' artists and defending age. I also said that creative people don't retire. happy.gif

Michael.
(Login Mist001)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 12 2017, 11:36 AM 

I also said that creative people don't just suddenly turn off. It'll be in the archives from a year ago. I still maintain though that a millionaire family man recluse who doesn't drink, do drugs, or hang about the rock scene has anything to say.

That's why Visconti said at the time of TND that Bowie was reading all these historic military books, because Bowie didn't have anything in his life that he could write about.

Mist.
'When I saw the result, I threw up. My body rejected it.'

Gabor
(Login Gabor_C)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 12 2017, 12:54 PM 

Apart from Blackstar, TND was easily the most personal, honest album he has ever made.

TJNewton
(Login themysteries)
BW Member

Hours

No score for this post
January 12 2017, 1:08 PM 

I always thought Hours was quite a personal album. Although Bowie stated at the time that the angst of aging was not strictly about him no artist can take themselves out of their creative process.

Gabor
(Login Gabor_C)
BW Member

Re: Hours

No score for this post
January 12 2017, 1:45 PM 

Hours was - he has said this at the time - a bit biographical, but not to the extent of his last 2 albums.

Anonymous
(Login TimmySheen)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 12 2017, 9:01 PM 

I rather think space oddity was the most autobiographical, letter to hermione, occasional dream, memory of a free festival, unwashed etc.

This message has been edited by TimmySheen on Jan 12, 2017 9:02 PM

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

Score 2.0 (1 person)
January 12 2017, 11:47 PM 

I agree he said more about his life on his second (self-titled) album than any other, the rest apart from Scary Monsters and Super Creeps were pretty abstract.
"I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star"

https://godisimaginary.com/

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website