<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Barnbrook on The Next Day proofs

January 12 2017 at 8:04 AM
No score for this post
TJNewton  (Login themysteries)
BW Member
from IP address 82.3.246.179

I have read an article by Barnbrook where he says that he got a call from David chastising him for including TND proofs inthe David Bowie Is exhibition. Bowie said ' I'm not telling you off but by showing the proofs you change the meaning of the end product.' I must admit I found the proofs fascinating. Barnbrook also says not even Bowie knew all the secrets to the Blackstar cover. Barnbrook said he thought it would just show people how we got there. I'm not sure personally that I follow the logic of David's arguement since the same could surely be said for the releasing if demo and alternate versions of songs. Any opinions?

This message has been edited by themysteries from IP address 82.3.246.179 on Jan 12, 2017 8:09 AM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
muzz
(Login muzz08)
BW Member

Re: Barnbrook on The Next Day proofs

No score for this post
January 12 2017, 8:26 AM 

I think it's unnecessary info from JB tbh.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 12 2017, 9:04 AM 

Which perhaps explains why we have only a handful of official demo releases.

Anonymous
(Login BenderRodriguez)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 12 2017, 9:24 AM 

I think Bowie was right. When the TND artwork came out it was bold, frustrating, opinion-dividing, and clever. Initially, to me, it smacked of him finding an excuse not to have a recent photo on the cover, but it was so cleverly viral. It was so easy to duplicate the look by placing a white square over an existing image.

Perfect for a viral social media marketing campaign to show your allegiance to Bowie (by sticking a white square over your profile pic) and at the same time help promote the album.

The meaning seemed to be that it was asking questions about the future by referencing the past. Heroes was just for one day, but this is the next day and the future is blank, so where are we now? Recalling the past and turning it into a blank canvas, which is sort of what the music on the album did as it was so reminiscent of his previous work. I like it when the music and artwork on an album seem to be in sync with each other.

So, as a stand alone image, it was bold, clever and relevant. Artistically successful, commercial genius and a little bit controversial. But when I saw Barnbrook's previous attempts it made the whole thing seem less cool, the Mickey Mouse Pin Ups cover was the worst. Like the were desperate to make one work, and just stumbled across a winning idea by accident.

Having watched the last five years doc, it became clear it was Bowie's idea and Barnbrook wasn't sure at all, right to the last moment, then I realised that Bowie deserved all the credit for it. I prefer to know that Bowie is heavily involved in the artwork, because then it feels you can derive more meaning and intention from it.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
January 12 2017, 9:42 AM 

Interesting he was happy to show them again in the doc. Naughty chap.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website