<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

james brown cover on the ziggy tour

February 18 2017 at 4:35 PM
No score for this post
footstompin  (Login footstompin)
BW Member

a french music journalist said recently on the radio that Bowie covered james brown during the ziggy shows. I never never heard about that in 40 years.
is it true ?
i

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Besomdave
(Login besomdave)
BW Member

If You Dont Work You Cant Eat

No score for this post
February 18 2017, 5:51 PM 

'If You Dont Work You Cant Eat' written by James Brown - Hit for Bobby Byrd - covered on early Ziggy shows in 72 - available on Kingston Poly & Hemmel Hempstead bootlegs, but incorrectly titled on both as 'Gotta Get a Job'

both are on youtube if you search for Bowie - Gotta Get a Job. happy.gif

This message has been edited by besomdave on Feb 18, 2017 5:55 PM

Anonymous
(Login ormenlange)
BW Member

Re: james brown cover on the ziggy tour

No score for this post
February 18 2017, 6:17 PM 

(already answered)

The original by Marva Whitney and James Brown (1969): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12sLp2MqNbU

Bobby Byrd version (1970): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBPd6YVpIFE

Ziggy tour 05 06 1972: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OleCswMx7xc

Ziggy tour 05 07 1972: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5bFpxwNCNs

This message has been edited by ormenlange on Feb 18, 2017 6:36 PM

mikewest
(Login west406)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 18 2017, 7:05 PM 

A long soul workout that didn't really work with the Spiders, would have worked better live in 1974/75.

This message has been edited by west406 on Feb 18, 2017 11:24 PM

Nemo
(Login whidbeyisland)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 18 2017, 7:32 PM 

Not a bad job but without the horns it really doesn't have that swing.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 18 2017, 8:18 PM 

On first hearing on the Kingston boot years ago it was mind bowing that he was pulling in that direction even then. It's a lot of fun and I still regularly listen to it.

Stranger
(Login Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land)
BW Member

A message to you, Woody

No score for this post
February 18 2017, 9:36 PM 

I like both versions...the Kingston Poly recording has long sounded a little 'thin' to me, but Hemel is quite hissy (not always a bad thing, but,,,)

now, I spoke with Woody Woodmansey after his talk about his book in Reading last year. I asked him if there were any unusual songs the Spiders played that he could recall. He had to think for a moment, he couldn't think of anything, but then said that they did do a reggae version of Space Oddity.

That is interesting, as someone who was at the original Beckenham Festival said that David played a reggae version that day. Clearly the idea of a reggae version of the song is something that had a little intrigue for him then.

Anyway, I mentioned in reply, did he remember them doing 'Gotta Get a Job'? I told him about it, and he said he never remembered it, and I think he said he'd be interested to hear it.

I made a mental note to put it on a CD, in case I was able to run into him after the Holy Holy gig I'm seeing in Aylesbury this year, but this seems a good place to say, if anyone has any contact with Woody here (perhaps Paul K does? happy.gif), perhaps tell him about the youtube links in the meantime.
------------------
The next EMI Expanded Editions:
* What are your hopes for these releases?
* Let's have The Man Who Sold The World with the complete Paris Cinema Studios, Feb 5, 1970 radio concert, and the complete April 1970 radio session. Hunky Dory - add the complete Paris Cinema Studios concert, June 1971 in stereo, from the BBC Stereo Transcription LP if the master is lost!
* Any future live 1974 release MUST include a recording of Drive In Saturday from the early part of the tour, it's classic!
The next DVD release?
* Cracked Actor / Omnibus documentary must be released on DVD!

Recommended:
Tiffiny Townsend | She's Got Issues | The She Creatures |

This message has been edited by Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land on Feb 18, 2017 9:43 PM

Anonymous
(Login Dr.Ink)
BW Member

Re: A message to you, Woody

No score for this post
February 18 2017, 10:59 PM 

Fantasticide!!!
Great thread. Just downloaded song now
for when I get back to my cell later on today.🙉
Thank you v much

footstompin
(Login footstompin)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 20 2017, 4:51 PM 

Yes, that's true. For a band of bass, drum and guitar played by white britain rockers, that's not ridiculous.

The JB shows had a 15 of the best jazz and R'nB musicians, with 2 drummers. One of the historic drummer, Clyde Stubbefield, has died last weekend. The funky drummer. RIP.

And Bowie is funny, trying to impersonate James Brown in the beginning. Almost singing "good god" on the beat.

footstompin
(Login footstompin)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 19 2017, 11:17 AM 

Thank you so much !

The Ziggy period is not one my favorites, but how is it possible that I don't know that ?

I'm so happy to discover something "new" from our man.

That makes another important mark in the DB/JB or the DB/R'n'B map of crossed influences. I know DB was deep into R'n'B in the sixties since he heard the 62 Live at the Apollo (one of his favorite records of all time). He talked about Parisian and London clubs where JB was very popular. I know of course that JB stole "Fame" for one of his late 75 single (DB was very proud of that), I know Carlos played few gigs for JB in late 60's, I know DB and JB met once in 99 or 2000 (did they chat or did they just do a photo ?I love JB, but I doubt his conversation could really feed DB appetite for things).

Anyway, the Ziggy live cover of JB "You Got To Get A job" is something to hear.

Of course - as Nicholas Pegg says - the spiders were not a funk band. No one on earth can compete the funk of the 60's JB show. OK, DB on sax is a million light years from Maceo Parker. OK, the bridge sounds poor. That being said, I find the main groove quite funky. Something like the typical "db funk groove" from "Fame" to "Girl Loves Me". It's touching to hear them try to be "on the one".

The early Ziggy shows had such eclectic set lists: Brel, Velvet, JB. That's perfect snapshot of Bowie's career and of what made him so exciting.

This message has been edited by footstompin on Feb 19, 2017 2:44 PM

mikewest
(Login west406)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 19 2017, 12:15 PM 

It would be great to hear some of this stuff in its perfect glory, it will hopefully come out one day, maybe for the next generation knowing how slow these things come through this could take a while, meanwhile enjoy , unless someone out there had something better.
P.S the Hemel version is the better quality !

Anonymous
(Login Dr.Ink)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 19 2017, 10:33 PM 

I heard distinct strains of 1984 in the beginning of that clip

Larranaga
(Login Larranaga)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 20 2017, 2:24 PM 

I always thought Got To Get A Job was piss poor -
although it wasn't helped by me first hearing it while being one of the
5 million unemployed in Thatcher's sinkhole Britain!
Or the fact that my Kingston Poly Vol.II was on extremely warped vinyl, so it all sounded shite!
Cost me 13 quid in 1983, too - which was most of a week's dole money.
Ironic really, given the song title...

This message has been edited by Larranaga on Feb 20, 2017 2:28 PM

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 20 2017, 5:37 PM 

Maybe we have found the measure against which to judge a fan's cred?

andy
(Login andyrushworth)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 22 2017, 6:59 PM 

Loved it , Bowie was always dropping little hints about where he might be heading and this is no different !!!

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 22 2017, 9:10 PM 

David Bowie was born David Jones. FYI.

wok
(Login wokwokwok)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 23 2017, 12:07 AM 

@ larranga lol and i rarely do that...but yeah all my money used to go on beer and music...and when i ran out of beer i sold my music collection...

very cool just had a listen and i was listening to jb today...there must surely be more high quality shows from this tour it had such production values but i'm pretty sure everything after 1974 must be sealed away nicely...

This message has been edited by wokwokwok on Feb 23, 2017 12:14 AM

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 23 2017, 8:14 AM 

As I Feel Free was on RarestOne, I'm amazed that, and Job / Hot Pants haven't been added to a ZS reissue. Would add an extra layer to understanding Bowie mid '72

AS30 got the audience recording of DIS after all.

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 8 2017, 8:30 PM 

Hot pants would be great.

Keep up this discussion
"I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star"

https://godisimaginary.com/

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website