<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

I have three hours...

February 20 2017 at 3:44 PM
No score for this post

R&N  (Login raggedandnaive)
BW Member

to fill on a DB tribute radio show at my local uni.
I'm working on my playlist, but it's been such a mental gift for me to focus on and deeply consider the aspects/facets of the man through his music, that I thought I'd share the challenge/experience.

If you had ONLY 3 hours (less for station ID and PSA breaks...closer to 2.5?) to fill with all things DB, what would you include, and why?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

Re: I have three hours...

No score for this post
February 20 2017, 5:36 PM 

All my favorites, alternate versions of better known tracks that would be interesting to the casual listener, and some guest appearances to add diversity. In Chronological order. LIKE EVERY OTHER FUCKING TRIBUTE RADO SHOW.

David Power
(Login davidpower)
BW Member

Three Hours

No score for this post
February 20 2017, 6:31 PM 

Well I would certainly want to play plenty of his excellent stuff that is relatively less well known - eg Outside, Buddha etc but I would also feel the need to include some well known stuff. Maybe do one or two songs from every single album in chronologcal order.

www.davidpowercomposer.co.uk

Anonymous
(Login ormenlange)
BW Member

Score 5.0 (1 person)
February 20 2017, 9:08 PM 

I do believe, in the tsunami of tributes and homages which has washed over us the last year, that there is a tendency to underplay what a brillant singer and concert artist DB was. I would certainly make a lot of room for some of the many excellent live recordings, including the Nassau Coliseum official release, the Stage album and the BBC Radio Theatre bonus album. I think his voice was especially strong in the late seventies to early eighties (from around Heroes to Let's Dance), and the sheer vocal power on an otherwise sparse track like the 79 version of Space Oddity still gives me the goosebumps every time.
No complaints about all the talk of the ambitious artistry and the ever-changing postmodern identity-play, but imho there's just not enough talk about what a great singer of songs the man was.

Anonymous
(Login BenderRodriguez)
BW Member

Score 2.0 (1 person)
February 20 2017, 10:24 PM 

150 minutes. 32 separate 4- 5 minute (on average) songs?

I'd be pitching it people who have the greatest hits but not the albums, which I guess would make up most of the listenership. Taking them a bit deeper, but not giving them an hour of Leon.

Great album tracks, some familiar songs mixed in, so you don't alienate the listeners

A bit of education as to his work with other artists

A few covers

Some live versions

A Tin Machine song, and something from the derided 80s.

Finally, I'd close and open with Blackstar and the demo of Space Oddity, but not sure which way round.

Also, I'd add a bit of info for every track just to contextualise them.

Blackstar
Speed of Life
Five Years
Ashes to Ashes

All the Young Dudes (MTH)
Baby Universal (Tin Machine)
Satellite of Love
Absolute Beginners

Ziggy (Bauhaus)
Sweet Thing (full version)
Wake Up (with Arcade Fire)
Life on Mars?

Lust For Life
Saviour Machine
S2S (Stage)
Boys Keep Swinging

TMWSTW (Lulu version)
Joe the Lion
Underground (single mix)
Jean Genie

Valentine's Day
Lady Grinning Soul
Changes (Santa Monica)
Sound & Vision

Truth (with Goldie)
Moonage Daydream
Strangers When We Meet (Buddha Edit)
Golden Years

RnR Suicide (ZS TMP version)
Slip Away
Can't Help Thinking About Me (Storytellers)
Space Oddity (demo with Hutch)

wok
(Login wokwokwok)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 20 2017, 10:38 PM 

personally, i'd like to bedazzle people (as in don't give them what they expect.) so yeah in response to the previous posters put in some instrumentals (as opposed to powerful vocals) and some weird stuff like from outside. i was so pleased at the jan 8th tribute i went to coz they played weird stuff and the crowd that were with me were left scratching their heads if it wasn't changesbowie material. you have a younger audience (those that don't know changesbowie happy.gif , so go apoplectic eclectic...

here are a few ideas:

sample in some lines of his movies
heart's filthy lesson (simenon mix)
put some live stuff in there like the many soundboard versions of Quicksand from earthling tour
whilst talking about samples you could mix in some interview footage or stuff from movies he was into
eh, back young americans with i'm afraid of americans

but above all make sure to put the laughing gnome in there...at the most inappropriate place...

that, and sweet thing (full suite) and blackstar should take up some time...

oh, and also please mr. gravedigger and silly boy blue from the debut...the rest is just gravy

yes bender is correct the lulu version of the man who sold the world would be a classy touch...put in here comes the night from pin-ups after it.

This message has been edited by wokwokwok on Feb 20, 2017 10:43 PM

tintoy
(Login tintoy)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 21 2017, 6:43 AM 

make room for all of Baal but scatter the tracks

wok
(Login wokwokwok)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 21 2017, 10:03 AM 

the version of waiting for the man from bbc but not the one on best of beeb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxqGxuj3Bu8

wok
(Login wokwokwok)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 21 2017, 4:09 PM 

btw are we going to hear the fruits of your labor?

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 21 2017, 6:51 PM 

Get the Oh You Pretty Things covers compilation CD and the original S&V boxset and press shuffle.

Anonymous
(Login Highway101)
BW Member

Three hours is not too bad

No score for this post
February 22 2017, 6:07 PM 

Maybe put a call out to Russman he may still lurk here, lads a real DJ as well. I bet he will have some excellent ideas.

Maybe play: We Are The Dead/Where Are We Now ...just because.

Good luck and send us a link so we can listen to your labour of love.

Richard
(Login ikonikon)
BW Member

We Are The Dead/Where Are We Now

No score for this post
February 22 2017, 8:44 PM 

wow. this juxtaposition just blew my mind.

how very interesting.

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

Re: We Are The Dead/Where Are We Now

No score for this post
February 23 2017, 1:22 AM 

I asked my friend on death row.

He said he'd play mostly Mike Sammes and Tony Hatch tunes if he only had three hours.
"I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star"

https://godisimaginary.com/

wok
(Login wokwokwok)
BW Member

Re: We Are The Dead/Where Are We Now

No score for this post
February 23 2017, 2:05 PM 

em, ask jesus to appear...i'm sick of looking at myself in the mirror

r&n
(Login raggedandnaive)
BW Member

Why yes...

No score for this post
February 23 2017, 6:30 PM 

if you like. It'll be available to stream here:http://www.917theville.com/ from 4-7 EST tomorrow.

Now I'm actually a bit nervous!

r&n
(Login raggedandnaive)
BW Member

ok

No score for this post
February 24 2017, 12:15 AM 

I totally agree with Young and I'm Afraid as bookends on the Americans commentary.
Still vacillating on Please Mr. Gravedigger. And does it make me a heathen to consider NOT doing Blackstar and playing Dollar Days instead?...that sax tho...

And apoplectic eclectic is my new favorite phrase. <3

r&n
(Login raggedandnaive)
BW Member

Loving the ideas

No score for this post
February 23 2017, 6:38 PM 

I've gone round and round about all of this and YES! The Laughing Gnome shall appear at precisely the best moment! I'm also going to throw 'Don't Sit Down' in for good measure!

The plan, such as it is, is generally this, but the setlist is still in the works:
- time on the storyteller...Bewlay to 1984, Wild Eyed Boy to Leon, then the story of Major Tom beginning with SO to his end on Blackstar.
- time on the collaboartions...Crosby to NIN, Iggy to Mott to Queen.
- time on the musicianship...from Garson to McCaslin.
- time on live music from show's I've seen (admittedly all post TM)
- all interspersed with my own favorites, which tend to be NOT the usual.

I'll post the intended set list once it's finished. Thanks so much to those of you who offered your thoughts...I'm still pondering everything and will probably change it again and again before I'm through.

Love on you all. xo

wok
(Login wokwokwok)
BW Member

Re: Loving the ideas

No score for this post
February 25 2017, 2:10 AM 

available to stream...is it not archived? love to have a listen to the finished product but can't seem to find it.

Nemo
(Login whidbeyisland)
BW Member

Re: Loving the ideas

No score for this post
February 25 2017, 3:12 AM 

Offline???

r&n
(Login raggedandnaive)
BW Member

Playlist

No score for this post
February 25 2017, 9:06 PM 

Well, apparently in the extreme high winds from last week, the station antenna was damaged and more than originally thought. So the live stream was spotty, at best.
And no, they didn't archive it either since the station manager was unable to be there and I got an (inexperienced, but lovely) underling to run the board.

Regardless, it was therapeutic to create and play and talk through the list.One of the callers thanked me for the bits of trivia, saying he had learned more about Bowie from the show than anywhere else he had listened. I admit to tearing up a bit at that. Always lovely to spread the love.

My thinking and basic explanation of what I talked about is in () along with each group.

The focus for me was to play mostly the lesser known, but accessible, in sections that showcased the wild variety of his music, while tying it all together with clips of him laughing in different places for different reasons.
I always love to hear him laugh...

Here it is...

Rebel Rebel
Introduction
(this is backed by BT/WN and he talks about his choice of music as art, and laments that the problem with life is that there's more than two sides...it just felt like a great way to anchor the show with his own discussion of the overarching themes.)
Miracle Goodnight
Don't Sit Down

(Bowie as storyteller)
The Bewlay Brothers
The Wild Eyed Boy From Free Cloud
I Have Not Been To Oxford Town

(Bowie as drawer of deep and varied characters)
Sound And Vision
Sons Of Silent Age
Silly Boy Blue

(ok, yes, I went for my favorite 'love songs' in this section. I'm not sorry either)
Absolute Beginners
As The World Falls Down
Lady Grinning Soul

The Laughing Gnome (totally inappropriate insertion for you here wok!)

(discussion of Bowie as spiritual existentialist)
The Next Day
Bus Stop
Word On a Wing

Can't Help Thinking About Me (Storytellers - the story before the song, and ending with him declaring 'I just helped clear the bodies.')

(Bowie and social commentary that happens to be really f*cking timely right now)
Five Years
1984/dodo
Soul Love

(Bowie's Americans, along with discussion of how he fooled me every damn time I saw them on Reality tour when Sterling would start ATYD with the YA drum intro...fooled us all again and again...)
Young Americans
I'm Afraid Of Americans
All The Young Dudes (False start, Holmdel, NJ)

(Alternative versions section...I'm a language teacher by trade, so the German Heroes, of course, then the acoustic version of DIS - I love this because when he sings 'his name was always Buddy' in this version, Buddy sounds like he actually would be shrugging sheepishly, rather than having connived his way into the scenario...it evens the playing field between the two of them? and the Love You Till Tuesday version of Space Oddity...everyone's heard the other one, but I love this one so much...they played it at David Bowie Is...in Chicago when I went, and I was so happy to hear that...I kinda like the launch here better)
“Helden”
Drive In Saturday (1972 Cleveland Acoustic)
Space Oddity
(LYTT Version)

(Bowie as space nerd...like me)
Starman
Ashes To Ashes
Life On Mars?
Blackstar

Eight Line Poem (love this one and had about 3 minutes to add and I've always been captivated by the fact that it is 8 lines about almost nothing, and then so incredibly descriptive at the same time. Also, DB southern American accent ftw.)
Band Intro (Reality at Hershey, PA...this is about 30 minutes away and is the finest moment of DB laughter I was ever privileged to hear in person. It makes me laugh and cry every time I listen to it)
No Plan (I played this for the first time on the show. I've been carrying it around with me on the Lazarus Cast Recording for weeks...it's hard. I know if I listen to the three new ones, then there will never be any new music coming. But I want to listen, too. But I'm not ready to listen to them all. So I figured this show was a good moment to 'rip of the bandaid' so to speak. I love this song, of course. But I've still got two others for someday...)
Never Get Old (I guess it goes without saying, but with such a rich and extraordinary catalogue to visit and explore with new (older) eyes, and the enduring nature of so much of the work, he really never will get old. At least for me. And for those who have not yet heard him... even those who haven't yet been born who will love him just as much as me.)

Love on you all. Thanks for the help
xoxo

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website