<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

David Live 3LP reissue - beautiful package

February 25 2017 at 9:31 PM
No score for this post

Stranger  (Login Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land)
BW Member
from IP address 88.98.8.188

The David Live 3lp is a a beautiful package, very well presented.

A couple of minor niggles - the photo of him from the inner sleeve seems to be missing but there a lot more, better, larger colour photos. Again come to think of it the photos of him from the original Ryko 2LP don't appear to be there but the feeling shown in the photo on this new edition where he looks close to tears strikes against the idea have that its all surface and all presentation with Bowie.To me it actually gives me hope - the multiple images of Bowie in concerr in 1974, in glorious, colourful images - that we might yet see a concert film from that tour.

I have not listened to it yet but will do soon, it'll be great to hear on vinyl.

I could be wrong re the concert film, and you might feel my writing above is a load of tosh, but I strongly suggest you look at getting the beautiful;y presented 3LP edition of David Live.

------------------
The next EMI Expanded Editions:
* What are your hopes for these releases?
* Let's have The Man Who Sold The World with the complete Paris Cinema Studios, Feb 5, 1970 radio concert, and the complete April 1970 radio session. Hunky Dory - add the complete Paris Cinema Studios concert, June 1971 in stereo, from the BBC Stereo Transcription LP if the master is lost!
* Any future live 1974 release MUST include a recording of Drive In Saturday from the early part of the tour, it's classic!
The next DVD release?
* Cracked Actor / Omnibus documentary must be released on DVD!

Recommended:
Tiffiny Townsend | She's Got Issues | The She Creatures |

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

Re: David Live 3LP reissue - beautiful package

No score for this post
February 26 2017, 6:24 AM 

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 26 2017, 8:41 AM 

I inspected all the new stand alones in the shop yesterday. No niggles to speak of but the reversed / corrected DL cover and rear look odd.

Jon
(Login the_starman)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 26 2017, 8:52 AM 

Interesting that they have chosen to release the 2005 remix and expanded version of DL as a separate release. The other 'remixes' in the boxes - TRAFOZS, STS, Gouster - didn't get that treatment. I suppose they thought the market for a straight re-release of DL was limited?

Still, the 2005 version is an improvement on an already excellent album.

jon

Sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 26 2017, 9:02 AM 

I have thought about getting it but then I've got the DVD-A of both DL and Stage so probably won't bother.

Jon
(Login the_starman)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 26 2017, 9:03 AM 

But you started this thread saying you had bought it?

Sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 26 2017, 9:04 AM 

I did?

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 26 2017, 9:17 AM 

I thought SO started too soon after the preceding song and the 2 discs were split a bit unevenly. I prefer the Ryko version. On tape, naturally.

Jon
(Login the_starman)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 26 2017, 9:18 AM 

I thought you did.

You were saying how the 3LP package looked great and you were looking forward to hearing it. Sorry, perhaps i misread it!

'The David Live 3lp is a a beautiful package, very well presented'

'I have not listened to it yet but will do soon, it'll be great to hear on vinyl'

Jon

Sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 26 2017, 9:29 AM 

Stranger said that.

Jon
(Login the_starman)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 26 2017, 9:30 AM 

hahaha sorry!

I get you two mixed up - it's the Ss...

Sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 26 2017, 9:31 AM 

ahhhaaa

Roman
(Login _Roman)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 26 2017, 5:26 PM 

42 years later and we still don't have the dates (I don't remember why anymore, but I believe only 2 shows were recorded by RCA)

Stranger
(Login Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land)
BW Member

The dates

No score for this post
February 27 2017, 11:24 PM 

yes I did notice the dates, starting from the 8th this time happy.gif

I think it's a shame also that the white inner sleeves did not fit inside the picture inner sleeves (not without sticking out too much to fit in the outer cover, if you try turning them the other way), unlike on of the more plush RCA issues I've had.

But overall, it is beautifully presented...it would be lovely to have a book of 1974 tour colour photographs, but doubt it'll happen.
------------------
The next EMI Expanded Editions:
* What are your hopes for these releases?
* Let's have The Man Who Sold The World with the complete Paris Cinema Studios, Feb 5, 1970 radio concert, and the complete April 1970 radio session. Hunky Dory - add the complete Paris Cinema Studios concert, June 1971 in stereo, from the BBC Stereo Transcription LP if the master is lost!
* Any future live 1974 release MUST include a recording of Drive In Saturday from the early part of the tour, it's classic!
The next DVD release?
* Cracked Actor / Omnibus documentary must be released on DVD!

Recommended:
Tiffiny Townsend | She's Got Issues | The She Creatures |

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

Re: The dates

No score for this post
February 27 2017, 11:33 PM 

I can't see the 2005 DVD audio being bettered.
"I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star"

https://godisimaginary.com/

Sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 28 2017, 5:25 AM 

"I can't see the 2005 DVD audio being bettered."

Blu-Ray Audio would be better and more accessible to the masses.

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 28 2017, 6:49 AM 

Found this:

You would have to have a receiver that has Dolby True HD and has DTS Master sound capability to experience it if your receiver only have Dolby Digital or DTS then it will only reproduce the same quality that DVD is capable of but with a receiver that produces DTS master along with a Blu ray Player that can also produce the DTS Master or Dolby True HD soundtrack along with a blu ray Disk that also has this format (not all do) on the soundtrack options and everything is hooked up through HDMI cables... you will notice some difference depending also on the quality of your speakers....and your ability to hear differences of small increments.

I mean who has those systems?
"I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star"

https://godisimaginary.com/

Sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
February 28 2017, 7:08 AM 

Technology is more affordable than you think. I have Grace Jones' Nightclubbing in Blue-Ray Audio. It sounds fantastic. OK it is only in 2.0 but still great. Trouble is with DVD-A it's getting harder and harder to get a player for it. Though I can play it via my laptop which coincidentally has a Blu-ray player and an HDMI output.

Good software for DVD-Audio via a PC if Foobar2000 which has a codec for not only DVD-Audio but SACD too.

Den
(Login nightflights)
BW Member

Aren't they

No score for this post
March 2 2017, 2:37 PM 

I was over in the UK last week on a fleeting visit and they had a few of the 2017 vinyl releases in Sainsbury's? £14.00 each and they looked glorious! exactly how I remember the originals on RCA Gatefold sleeves and the like for AS & DD If only I'd taken more Dosh with me!

mikewest
(Login west406)
BW Member

Re: Aren't they

No score for this post
March 3 2017, 9:41 AM 

Maybe we will now see Boots and the Co-op selling records again!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website