<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The Earthling Album Cover

February 27 2017 at 1:06 AM
Score 5.0 (1 person)

wok  (Login wokwokwok)
BW Member
from IP address 78.19.149.89

ok, so it was shot in NYC...see the cloud formation, to the right.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

wok
(Login wokwokwok)
BW Member

Re: The Earthling Album Cover

No score for this post
March 1 2017, 3:05 PM 

what, you haven't see the eye in the sky?

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 1 2017, 9:31 PM 

I would cite Outside as when Bowie album covers turned bad, but thinking bout it, Earthling might be the start of the REALLY grim run.

Jamie
(Login lightningmoonstar)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 1 2017, 10:53 PM 

I'm not too sure.
I really enjoyed buying the 1999 remasters and having them on the shelf side by side sort of progressing through the many faces of Bowie. Black tie white noise even had a mug shot. I found it annoying when you got to outside (although you got many Bowie faces in the booklet) ,and if you want to include Buddha before hand, because you no longer got his face really. Hours it's tiny but I guess you have the exception of Heathen and a cartoon face of Reality.
I think Outside and Earthling are pretty good album covers and Heathen is a corker. I love the concept of The Next Day and Blackstar. Reality is a bit of a miss. Although partially pretentious I do like Barnbrook added to the mix.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 2 2017, 8:38 AM 

Don't forget All Saints and Club Bowie. And the 2002 Best Of.

Jamie
(Login lightningmoonstar)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 1 2017, 10:54 PM 

Also why are the letters arranged EART HL I NG?

Richard
(Login ikonikon)
BW Member

EART HL I NG?

No score for this post
March 2 2017, 4:05 AM 

DB said it was a typographic trick he learned in his short time working in an ad agency.

There is no meaning, it's just enough to stop you and get to read more attentively

wok
(Login wokwokwok)
BW Member

Re: EART HL I NG?

No score for this post
March 2 2017, 9:29 AM 

all saints was such a miss...

he deserved a gestapo glove slap for never let me down

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

Re: EART HL I NG?

No score for this post
March 2 2017, 9:33 AM 

Never trust the fans.

Isolar76
(Login Isolar76)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 2 2017, 11:15 AM 

I like the typography/logos on all of David Bowie's albums from 'Black Tie White Noise' right through to 'Blackstar'.

I don't like the photo on the front cover of 'Earthling', but the actual inner-booklet (on CD) and inner-sleeve (Vinyl) are beautifully designed. And I really like the picture of an 'Iris' on the actual 'CD' and 'Vinyl Label'.

Earthing is the only album cover I think is out of place from 1993-2016. All the other albums I suit the music (in my opinion), and I've either grown to like them or thank they are okay. The only album covers from this period I think are brilliant are 'Heathen' and 'Blackstar'.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 2 2017, 12:42 PM 

Agreed. Heathen is probably one of his best. I'm not keen on a lot of his artwork despite it being integral to his work.

Looking at it objectively, I'd only say Low, Heroes, Heathen and Tonight as worthy as 'art'.

Paul Kinder
(Premier Login paulkinder)
BW Member

No

No score for this post
March 2 2017, 2:20 PM 

DB was shot in the studio - background is England.

Surrey Downs if I recall correctly

This message has been edited by paulkinder from IP address 81.108.78.247 on Mar 3, 2017 10:23 PM

nick f
(Login nickfa)
BW Member

Re: No

No score for this post
March 2 2017, 3:25 PM 

I thought it was in Warwickshire near Long Marston where the phoenix festival was held.

Anonymous
(Login BenderRodriguez)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 3 2017, 12:05 AM 

What I liked about the Earthling album cover is that it seemed to perfectly suit the music. Bowie in NY digitally grafted onto a photo of England. Pretty much exactly like the music.

wok
(Login wokwokwok)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 3 2017, 5:21 PM 

@ mr kinder if i never see these english evergreens again

Nemo
(Login whidbeyisland)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 8 2017, 5:52 PM 

When the Normans came to England they had a penchant for building castles on the high ground as a defense and a projection of their power. This image is the man in the high castle surveying his domain, complete with flag establishing ownership. Later this image is replicated in New York by Jimmy King with a similar pose in a black overcoat, lording it over all the concrete.

Anonymous
(Login Dr.Ink)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 8 2017, 11:18 PM 

https://youtu.be/g3YiPC91QUk

FATHER: One day, lad, all this will be yours! PRINCE HERBERT: What, the curtains? FATHER: No. Not the curtains, lad. All that you can see, stretched out over the hills and valleys of this land! This'll be your kingdom, lad.

HERBERT: But Mother--

FATHER: Father, lad. Father.
HERBERT: B-- b-- but Father, I don't want any of that.

FATHER: Listen, lad. I built this kingdom up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was swamp. Other kings said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So, I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp, but the fourth one... stayed up! And that's what you're gonna get, lad: the strongest castle in these islands.

HERBERT: But I don't want any of that. I'd rather--

FATHER: Rather what?!
HERBERT: I'd rather... [music] ...just... sing!

FATHER: Stop that! Stop that! You're not going into a song while I'm here. Now listen, lad. In twenty minutes, you're getting married to a girl whose father owns the biggest tracts of open land in Britain.

HERBERT: B-- but I don't want land. FATHER: Listen, Alice,--

HERBERT: Herbert.

FATHER: 'Erbert. We live in a bloody swamp. We need all the land we can get.

HERBERT: But-- but I don't like her.

FATHER: Don't like her?! What's wrong with her?! She's beautiful. She's rich. She's got huge... tracts o' land!

HERBERT: I know, but I want the-- the girl that I marry to have... [music] ...a certain,... special... something!

FATHER: Cut that out! Cut that out! Look, you're marrying Princess Lucky, so you'd better get used to the idea! [smack] Guards! Make sure the Prince doesn't leave this room until I come and get him.

GUARD #1: Not to leave the room even if you come and get him.

GUARD #2: Hic! FATHER: No, no. Until I come and get him.

GUARD #1: Until you come and get him, we're not to enter the room.

FATHER: No, no. No. You stay in the room and make sure he doesn't leave.

GUARD #1: And you'll come and get him.

GUARD #2: Hic! FATHER: Right.

GUARD #1: We don't need to do anything apart from just stop him entering the room.

FATHER: No, no. Leaving the room.

GUARD #1: Leaving the room. Yes. [sniff] FATHER: All right?

GUARD #1: Right.

GUARD #1: Oh, if-- if-- if, uhh-- if-- if-- w-- ehh-- i-- if-- if we--

FATHER: Yes? What is it?

GUARD #1: Oh, i-- if-- i-- oh--

FATHER: Look, it's quite simple.

GUARD #1: Uh...

FATHER: You just stay here and make sure 'e doesn't leave the room. All right?

GUARD #1: Oh, I remember. Uhh, can he leave the room with us?

FATHER: N-- no, no. No. You just keep him in here and make sure he--

GUARD #1: Oh, yes. We'll keep him in here, obviously, but if he had to leave and we were with him--

FATHER: No, no, no, no. Just keep him in here--

GUARD #1: Until you or anyone else--

FATHER: No, not anyone else. Just me.

GUARD #1: Just you.

GUARD #2: Hic! FATHER: Get back.

GUARD #1: Get back.

FATHER: All right?

GUARD #1: Right. We'll stay here until you get back.

GUARD #2: Hic! FATHER: And, uh, make sure he doesn't leave.

GUARD #1: What? FATHER: Make sure 'e doesn't leave.

GUARD #1: The Prince? FATHER: Yes, Make sure 'e doesn't leave.

GUARD #1: Oh, yes, of course.

GUARD #2: Hic!

GUARD #1: Ah. I thought you meant him. You know, it seemed a bit daft me havin' to guard him when he's a guard.

FATHER: Is that clear?

GUARD #2: Hic! GUARD #1: Oh, quite clear. No problems.

FATHER: Right. Where are you going?

GUARD #1: We're coming with you.

FATHER: No, no. I want you to stay here and make sure 'e doesn't leave. GUARD #1: Oh, I see. Right.

HERBERT: But Father!

FATHER: Shut your noise, you! And get that suit on! [music] And no singing!

GUARD #2: Hic!
FATHER: Oh, go and get a glass of water. [clank]

This message has been edited by Dr.Ink from IP address 99.234.215.0 on Mar 8, 2017 11:32 PM

Anonymous
(Login 1EyedWick)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 10 2017, 8:37 AM 

I LOVE the cover of "Eart hl ing"! It's one of my favorites! happy.gif

tintoy
(Login tintoy)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 10 2017, 10:41 AM 

I love it too - it's zesty . . .

Nemo
(Login whidbeyisland)
BW Member

The Man in the High Castle

No score for this post
March 19 2017, 4:14 AM 

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy
"Also when they shall be afraid of that which is high, and fears shall be in the way, and the almond tree shall flourish, and the grasshopper shall be a burden, and desire shall fail: because man goeth to his long home, and the mourners go about the streets."

exegesis I leave to sammy.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website