<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

MES on DB

March 5 2017 at 11:18 AM
No score for this post
Jon  (Login the_starman)
BW Member
from IP address 62.255.114.114

As I am sure you know, today is the day when a grateful nation celebrates the birthday of one of its favourite sons: Mark E Smith - the great man is 60 today. Toothless, tuneless and contrary; there isn't anyone quite like dear Smithy.

But is there a Bowie connection? Well, sort of:

Asked in 1999 what song he fell in love to, Mark Replied: 'what with my mother's cooking? I don't know. Oh, with a . Probably 'Station To Station' by Dave Bowie. (Dissolves into fits of laughter) I always loved Dave Bowie. I think people underestimate Dave Bowie's influence on the British music scene. What would we have done without Dave Bowie? I remember going from station to station and missing a train at one point and it sums it all up for me. I met a at the train station and it brings it all back. I'm lying."

worthy of wok himself.

wink.gif

jon

This message has been edited by the_starman from IP address 62.255.114.114 on Mar 5, 2017 11:24 AM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

Re: MES on DB

No score for this post
March 5 2017, 11:33 AM 

Does he have an 'off button'?
"I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star"

https://godisimaginary.com/

Jon
(Login the_starman)
BW Member

Re: MES on DB

No score for this post
March 5 2017, 11:35 AM 

well, you know what these opinionated northerners are like...

tintoy
(Login tintoy)
BW Member

a poet!

No score for this post
March 5 2017, 8:07 PM 

Mark E Smith is a brilliant wordsmith I'll have you know. Vastly underrated. A bit dodgy live though happy.gif

Stranger
(Login Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land)
BW Member

well Paul did say he (MES) was the biggest Bowie fan at his school...

No score for this post
March 5 2017, 9:31 PM 

and other (ex)Fall members are on record as being Bowie fans (Steve Hanley, Brix Smith, Marc Riley...).

So before the populace here want to burn him on a stake (like Kevin Rowland), for being less than respectful about our hero, I'd say relax. Actually he did say on another occasion that Pin Ups was a very good cover album when asked about cover albums, with no sarcasm this time. Bowie pushed MES into a war with words through the music press after he dissed the Fall's 'Bend Sinister' album. The quotes I've read from 'both sides' on the matter made funny reading (to me at least).

The Fall live? It's a matter of luck. Can be awful, but at times only...he'll rescue it with some fantastic performances during a gig that started terribly, in a way no-one else can.

Oh, and the Glastonbury show last year...it was champagne on his trousers if anyone's seen that happy.gif (a member of another band saw him swigging Moet and Chandon backstage and asked for some and things went downhill before they made up and had a good chat).

happy.gif
------------------
The next EMI Expanded Editions:
* What are your hopes for these releases?
* Let's have The Man Who Sold The World with the complete Paris Cinema Studios, Feb 5, 1970 radio concert, and the complete April 1970 radio session. Hunky Dory - add the complete Paris Cinema Studios concert, June 1971 in stereo, from the BBC Stereo Transcription LP if the master is lost!
* Any future live 1974 release MUST include a recording of Drive In Saturday from the early part of the tour, it's classic!
The next DVD release?
* Cracked Actor / Omnibus documentary must be released on DVD!

Recommended:
Tiffiny Townsend | She's Got Issues | The She Creatures |

This message has been edited by Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land from IP address 81.132.130.183 on Mar 5, 2017 9:33 PM

Jon
(Login the_starman)
BW Member

Re: well Paul did say he (MES) was the biggest Bowie fan at his school...

No score for this post
March 5 2017, 10:14 PM 

Stranger

Why don't YOU relax you twit. Whether Mark E Smith is/was a Bowie fan is irrelevant; it's a bit of fun. The explanation isn't required, just relax!

wink.gif

jon

Stranger
(Login Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land)
BW Member

fair enough

No score for this post
March 5 2017, 10:28 PM 

I had no problem with your post...I do have a problem with the 'let's hang him high' attitudes expressed on this forum when Kevin Rowland was discussed on here, and how over protective some Bowie fans can be.

Guess I was being over protective in turn of a musician I admire - he can look after himself well enough happy.gif
------------------
The next EMI Expanded Editions:
* What are your hopes for these releases?
* Let's have The Man Who Sold The World with the complete Paris Cinema Studios, Feb 5, 1970 radio concert, and the complete April 1970 radio session. Hunky Dory - add the complete Paris Cinema Studios concert, June 1971 in stereo, from the BBC Stereo Transcription LP if the master is lost!
* Any future live 1974 release MUST include a recording of Drive In Saturday from the early part of the tour, it's classic!
The next DVD release?
* Cracked Actor / Omnibus documentary must be released on DVD!

Recommended:
Tiffiny Townsend | She's Got Issues | The She Creatures |

Jon
(Login the_starman)
BW Member

Re: a poet!

No score for this post
March 5 2017, 10:15 PM 

@tintoy

Right on both counts.

Jon

Sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 6 2017, 7:40 AM 

Years ago, in an NME interview, he referred to Nick Cave as a "work shy Aussie"

Funny thing is Mark E Smith has turned 60 but in a sense he's always looked it. happy.gif

This message has been edited by ziggythecowboy from IP address 122.60.207.98 on Mar 7, 2017 5:55 AM

Jon
(Login the_starman)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 6 2017, 10:26 AM 

haha yes - no-one can accuse Mark of trying to hold back the years with surgery - or air brushed photos. I heard him talk about having all his teeth pulled out about 15 years ago - he said it was the best thing he ever did for himself!

Lang Park (Gary Belcher)
(Login LangPark)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 7 2017, 12:14 AM 

I hate the guts of Shakin Stevens for what he has done
The massacre of Blue Christmas
On him I'd like to land one on.

One Mark's best.
Love the man.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website