<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

David Bowie’s Let’s Dance Woven Into Textile Art

April 12 2017 at 1:27 PM
No score for this post

tintoy  (Login tintoy)
BW Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/brooke-robertsislam/david-bowies-lets-dance-w_b_15896346.html

I really like this happy.gif
Fresh, original, different and not a bloody lightening bolt in sight!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

Re: David Bowie’s Let’s Dance Woven Into Textile Art

No score for this post
April 13 2017, 7:15 AM 

I think it would make great wallpaper in our play room.
"I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star"

https://godisimaginary.com/

Sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 13 2017, 9:42 AM 

I wonder if its the single version or album version that its based on

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 13 2017, 9:59 AM 

How fantastic. At last a PROPER piece of art utilising and expanding on Bowie's remarkable catalogue. Grasping the man's work and pulling it firmly into 2017 and forever.

Larranaga
(Login Larranaga)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 13 2017, 10:09 AM 

Let's Dance 'was his first commercial hit'...?
Eh?

Anonymous
(Login TimmySheen)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 25 2017, 8:30 PM 

This is just bollocks isn't it. It could be literally anything for all we know. It doesn't even look nice.

tintoy
(Login tintoy)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 26 2017, 9:18 AM 

Interesting thought on art - it has to look nice.
If it can be anything, then the imaginative possibilities are endless . . .

Anonymous
(Login TimmySheen)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 26 2017, 9:51 PM 

Sure, but it has no more Than the most tangential connection to let's dance. Why not a blue rug that's been wiped by the vinyl or a single letter A on the rug in the same font as the A in let's dance? I love modern art - studied it,for 2 years and I live with an art teacher - but I hate crap bollocks cash ins. If it's going to be a crap concept then I do want a textile to have some sort of either utilitarian or aesthetic value at least - so I won't be hanging this on my wall.

This message has been edited by TimmySheen on Apr 26, 2017 9:57 PM

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 26 2017, 9:59 PM 

They'll be sticking white boxes over the cover of his old records next and passing them off as new artwork.

Oh.

tintoy
(Login tintoy)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 27 2017, 9:22 AM 

Timmy, I think the artist is interested in 'the translation of sound into textile art' and it is a 'personal interpretation of how sounds make us feel.' So, it is a not a literal or semi abstract interpretation of Let's Dance or its cover artwork.

I find the process v interesting -

"The process of creating the woven textile from the sound waves involves segmenting the wave and attributing these sections of sound to pixels in a digital image, which can then be woven."

Thus the connection to the music is very tangible and rooted . . .

I fail to see how it is 'crap' or a 'bollocks cash in' after all, the estate gave her permission . . .

I love it but respect everyone's opinion and right to dislike it happy.gif

Anonymous
(Login BenderRodriguez)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 27 2017, 1:08 PM 

Reminds me of when we were trying to guess the Bowie song from the profile. Importing the songs into Audacity, and then exporting the visual sound profile and posting here.

Space Oddity was distinctive and recognisable due to the slow intro and the stereo handclaps, as were a few others, like Nature Boy, Oh! You Pretty Things, Five Years, etc... Ones with a bit of space between the louder segments so you could see and recognise the music in the profile.

Let's Dance would be my very last choice. I honestly would not be able to recognise it, the sound is at a very consistent level throughout. May as well be Barbie Girl. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website