<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Bowie's most magnificent moment as a musician- Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing

April 24 2017 at 7:35 PM
No score for this post
sam  (Login whitecaps)
BW Member

Hi, as the first part of this trilogy ends, Bowie comes in with a beautiful sax solo that rivals anything from Hunter/Wagner. Then, as the sax ends, Bowie comes in with a guitar solo.

The guitar is like a vulture's talons, reaching out to grab and keep you.

It is astounding that Bowie is writing, playing and singing almost everything on this song. It is his most impassioned, vulnerable moment on record. And that is because of the theme.

For the first time, Bowie is finding himself trapped in sin and he can't get out: "It's got claws, it's got me, it's got you. But that's not the best part.

As Sweet Thing ends for the second time, a galloping guitar frenzy begins, played in real time in the studio, spectacular, rivaling any other guitar moment in rock. Perhaps equaled only by the Rebel Rebel guitar riff.

The sad thing is that Bowie could have played this part live but did not.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Anonymous
(Login TheLionheart)
BW Member

Re: Bowie's most magnificent moment as a musician- Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing

Score 5.0 (1 person)
April 24 2017, 10:25 PM 

Diamond Dogs still remains his most under-rated album to me. Some laud it but generally it's regarded as so-so in the Bowie canon.

To these ears it's about as pure Bowie as you'll get, pure in the sense that there are the least collaborators present on an official studio album I'm aware of...

Suffice to say it's a fucking fantastic album that ironically heralded the death of commercial Bowie in the UK but was approaching his commercial peak in the U.S.

I disagree with the Ziggy and Eno era fanboys and fangirls...Diamond Dogs was pretty much the Zenith of Bowie to me...it wasn't glam...it wasn't commercial...it was Bowie.

Larranaga
(Login Larranaga)
BW Member

Re: Bowie's most magnificent moment as a musician- Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing

Score 5.0 (1 person)
April 25 2017, 10:01 AM 

Diamond Dogs is a flawless masterpiece.
Nothing anyone could do to it would improve it.

Wearyourwoundwithhonor
(Login Wearyourwoundwithhonor)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 25 2017, 4:56 PM 

Sweet Thing is a masterpiece...absolutely in my top 5 Bowie songs....but I remain unconvinced by the rest of the album.

Nemo
(Login whidbeyisland)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 25 2017, 8:31 PM 

I really like Diamond Dogs.
I think it's a more fully informed / formed conceit than Ziggy Stardust.
And it has some of the most lurid lyrics!

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 26 2017, 7:42 AM 

It's good innit. So glad iSelect had it all as one track like the old RCA CD did. Can't stand joined up songs having the segue chopped (usually in the wrong place) when you're mentalling it on shuffle at the bus stop.

Anonymous
(Login sylvianne)
BW Member

Score 5.0 (1 person)
April 26 2017, 9:13 AM 

it's a great album.
we are the dead, fantastic song, lyrically superb
the only negatives I can give is that I'm a bit tired of rebel rebel and prefer to hear it live. the title track is a similar thing again for me and probably more so than rr.
I've never been big on his singles preferring album cuts.
the rest however is faultless.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

Score 5.0 (1 person)
April 26 2017, 11:33 AM 

Same problem with bowie singles - and to be honest most singles on album - they never seem to fit. RR is so different to the rest of the record it always stood out and is the only skipper despite the brilliant segue. Must say I had a HUGE re-evaluation of the title track recently. I final 'got it' and for me made the difference between accepting the album as having some great tracks and some filler, and taking it as a whole. Totally dig the title track these days. I don't think I'll reappraise RR in the same way - especially as the US single version is so great (and importantly shorter). I stuck that version in for while but didn't work even moreso. Oh well.

Anonymous
(Login MGOSCH)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 27 2017, 1:05 AM 

Sweet Thing is the best song and D.Dogs the best album, but i don't like Rebel Rebel
"It's a street - like any other street / With a guillotine on one side - home on the other side / The corridor's amazing, they're built like a street / There's a bar at the end where the condemned meet."

This message has been edited by MGOSCH on Apr 27, 2017 4:57 AM

wok
(Login wokwokwok)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 27 2017, 5:43 AM 

5:41 AM...perfect choice for me to listen to. I...won't say...

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 27 2017, 7:23 AM 

What are those words from?
"I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star"

https://godisimaginary.com/

tintoy
(Login tintoy)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 27 2017, 9:14 AM 

It's an excellent album and I used to love it and play it a lot (maybe 20 years ago). However, it's one of my least played DB albums now - has a whiff of showtunes to me, dark showtunes but showtunes none the less (and yes I do know about the 1984 theatrical idea).

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 27 2017, 9:28 AM 

I think that's why I like it.

It could've started with a whispered 'I know a place.... faaaar in the futurrrre!'

(builds up)

'Come with me and seeee..... the world offffff......

(cast comes in all holding hands) ... 1984!!!!!'

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 27 2017, 9:30 AM 

Or

Up to a decade in the future there lived
In the L.A. kinda province of an western country
A real cool cat like spider
Having devoured its prey

etc

wok
(Login wokwokwok)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 27 2017, 9:41 AM 

i'm still glad i told john hurt's wife to keep her knickers on. most obnoxious dick i've ever dealt with. 1984 needs a big budget remake soon...i'll even buy the cinema popcorn...

tintoy
(Login tintoy)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 27 2017, 9:35 AM 

Interesting.
I used to work in the theatre and still love good theatrical work (Lazarus?)
Perhaps, if permission had been given for the 1984 idea and a piece produced I may like it now as reminder/accompaniment to the visuals/drama.

Anyway, "We shall meet in the place where there is no Never Let Me Down."

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 27 2017, 10:04 AM 

I would wager that even if Bowie was allowed the rights, he would've moved on anyway before the album / theatre piece was finished like he did with the concurrent Ziggy musical. Surely he wouldn't have been allowed to use as many elements as he did anyway? I think the rights issue was a red herring.

My guess is that a 'half complete' vision (hello ZS, hello Low, hello Pin Ups II, hello The Gouster) holds more interest to the fans than a completed one. He knew this. It also bears the hallmarks of someone with extreme anxiety (coke paranoia?) to want to be judged on his potential rather than his finished project.

Larranaga
(Login Larranaga)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 27 2017, 10:52 AM 

According to the rumours that were around in the '70s,
Diamond Dogs is made up of songs from three of Bowie's unrealised projects:
the Diamond Dogs film (Future Legend, Diamond Dogs, Sweet Thing),
the Ziggy musical (Rebel Rebel, Rock 'n' Roll With Me)
and the 1984 musical (the rest of it).
It makes perfect sense when y'look at it like this - maybe it's even true!

This message has been edited by Larranaga on Apr 27, 2017 10:53 AM

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 27 2017, 11:21 AM 

Yes I touched upon that.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website