<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Anonymous
(Login jackhalloween)
BW Member

Re: Freak out in a moonage disco / NOW YOU'RE GOING TO SEE ELEPHANTS!

No score for this post
April 27 2017, 2:37 PM 

I thought he said "and now you're gonna see all of us"

Meaning the band were coming out from behind the screens Bowie insisted they stayed behind.

Just guessing.
Cheers,
Jack

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   

Stranger
(Login Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land)
BW Member

that makes sense, but...

No score for this post
April 27 2017, 4:19 PM 

It would have been better if elephants did come out from behind the screens. With guitars.
------------------
The next EMI Expanded Editions:
* What are your hopes for these releases?
* Let's have The Man Who Sold The World with the complete Paris Cinema Studios, Feb 5, 1970 radio concert, and the complete April 1970 radio session. Hunky Dory - add the complete Paris Cinema Studios concert, June 1971 in stereo, from the BBC Stereo Transcription LP if the master is lost!
* Any future live 1974 release MUST include a recording of Drive In Saturday from the early part of the tour, it's classic!
The next DVD release?
* Cracked Actor / Omnibus documentary must be released on DVD!

Recommended:
Tiffiny Townsend | She's Got Issues | The She Creatures |

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

Re: that makes sense, but...

No score for this post
April 27 2017, 5:24 PM 

I don't think Luther played guitar bro.

Larranaga
(Login Larranaga)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 28 2017, 10:27 AM 

'I don't think Luther played guitar' - arf!

Jon
(Login the_starman)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 28 2017, 10:39 PM 

Not either/or; it's both. And i have to say: cracked actor sounds terrific on vinyl.

John S
(Login UrchinOne)
BW Member

An Impossible Choice

No score for this post
May 2 2017, 3:46 PM 

David Live or Cracked Actor? It's an impossible choice. I've just spent the weekend with both albums and I really can't choose. On an individual track-by-track basis it is sometimes easier to come down on one side or the other but taking each album as a whole it is much more difficult to decide.

David Live has always been a special album for me. I feel like it's burnt into my very soul. Stark, icy and beautiful. As alien as Bowie has ever been. I clearly remember hearing it for the first time and, in truth, my reaction was both positive and negative. In 1977 I discovered Bowie for the first time and had such a wonderful time delving into his back catalogue. Being on meagre pocket money it was always a struggle to decide which album to buy next. I used to go to the local record shop every week and stare at each cover and consider the track listing before finally deciding which album to buy next.

The decision came down like this: Heroes-Space Oddity-Low-Hunky Dory-Aladdin Sane-TMWSTW-Diamond Dogs-David Live. These were all purchased over an 8 month period, so were still "fresh" when I heard David Live for the first time. Initially, I was turned-off by the radical reworking of some of the songs - Changes, in particular was hard to fathom (sapped of all joy to my ears), but other songs just clicked straightaway - Moonage Daydream, Sweet Thing, Suffragette City, Aladdin Sane, All The Young Dudes, Cracked Actor and Rock'n'Roll Suicide. Bizarrely, my introduction to the Ziggy songs was via David Live. The Ziggy Stardust album was my final back-catalogue purchase (bought after Station to Station, Young Americans and Pin Ups). By this time, I'd played David Live hundreds of times, and for me, these were the definitive versions of the Ziggy songs. The Ziggy album seemed tinny and light-weight in comparison when I finally got to hear it, and it took me a long time to get comfortable with that particular album.

All these years later I still find David Live a joy to listen to and it's probably my most consistently played Bowie album. The Cracked Actor album is a wonderful compliment to David Live and I can't over-state how amazing it is to finally hear it in such great quality after all these years. Particular stand-out tracks for me are 1984, Sweet Thing, All The Young Dudes, Rock'n'Roll With Me, It's Gonna Be Me, Space Oddity, Rock'n'Roll Suicide and John I'm Only Dancing (Again). Obviously, it's impossible to listen to this album without the visuals of the Cracked Actor documentary bleeding into the experience and each time I hear the first few bars of Space Oddity I still get a shiver up the spine and the hairs on the back of my neck rise. The sound bites are also ever present in my mind:

"He's from his own universe".
"I'm just the space cadet. He's the commander"
"There's a fly floating around in my milk"
"So, David Bowie becomes a soul singer"

David Live and Cracked Actor. Who could ask for anything more? Cracked Actor is, for me, the most significant release from the vaults to date and I hope this is only the start of it. A Soul Tour release would complete the 74 experience for me.

1984 (CA)
Rebel Rebel (DL)
Moonage Daydream (DL)
Sweet Thing (can't decide)
Changes (DL)
Suffragette City (DL)
Aladdin Sane (CA)
All The Young Dudes (CA)
Cracked Actor (DL)
Rock'n'Roll With Me (CA)
Watch That Man (DL only)
Knock On Wood (DL)
Here Today, Gone Tomorrow (DL only)
It's Gonna Be Me (CA only)
Space Oddity (CA)
Diamond Dogs (can't decide)
Panic In Detroit (DL only)
Big Brother (CA)
Time (DL)
The Jean Genie (DL)
Rock'n'Roll Suicide (CA)
John I'm Only Dancing (Again) (CA only)

So, what about packaging? The David Live artwork has always been awesome IMO and the cover of the re-issued vinyl is a thing to behold. In contrast, the packaging of Cracked Actor is let down by some awful photography. Perhaps this is intentional though, so that newbies are guided to David Live as the definitive record of the 74 tour?

Finally, a special mention to the Bureau Supply release Glass Asylum. The packaging on this is amazing for a bootleg release and I really like the way it mimics the David Live artwork. I'm not sure how often I'll play this album now I have Cracked Actor but it's good to have as a definitive record of the evening (maybe you like the Big Brother outro accidentally being played at the start of Time?).

One more thing - Tony Visconti has done a great job of mixing Cracked Actor. The sound quality is fantastic and the audience noise has been retained, making the record a warm and exciting listen. If you're a Bowie fan, you need this album in your life.
UrchinOne
White and Dressed to Kill.

This message has been edited by UrchinOne on May 3, 2017 12:42 PM

EfWe
(Login EfWe)
BW Member

Impossible choice

No score for this post
May 2 2017, 9:37 PM 

Great review. Thanx.

EfWe

mikewest
(Login west406)
BW Member

Re: An Impossible Choice

No score for this post
May 2 2017, 10:07 PM 

Urchine One , a great review with a great story of when you were younger, I was a fan just after rebel,rebel so I bought Hunky Dory ( b-side,Queen Bitch) 1st , then Aladdin, TMWSTW , and the rest followed.I found on pocket money that David Live was beyond my financial reach , but finally in 1975 I got it, my brother-in-law at the time said the record gets more exciting on side 3 , but with the 1984/Width of a Circle at the beginning these were the highlights.
Heard Strange Fascination a lot later and loved this too, looking forward to Cracked Actor.

Anonymous
(Login sylvianne)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 3 2017, 2:49 AM 

thanks for that John s, interesting reading.

I was a bit like that with stage I'd heard that many times (I'd got the yellow coloured vinyl) before most of the studio versions particularly ziggy as the same as you it was one of the last albums I bought.

I like the comparison of songs you give between cracked actor and david live, now I've only (partially) heard this new mix of ca once so I can't be certain of it all but what I can say is I definitely prefer the ca versions of moonage daydream, cracked actor & knock on wood.

one tiny error I did notice on your list, watch that man doesn't feature on cracked actor so I guess you meant to say, dl only.

John S
(Login UrchinOne)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 3 2017, 1:18 PM 

Good spot Sylvianne - I've amended that.

Choosing one track over another was a difficult task. For example, Rock'n'Roll Suicide has always been my favourite track off David Live but in the end I had to come down on the side of Cracked Actor for that song. Musically, it has more depth on CA IMO. This can be said for many of the songs on Cracked Actor. Sometimes, it's the vocals that helped me make the decision though. On Rebel Rebel (CA) Bowie forgets the words and repeats the same line twice, so David Live wins out there even though, musically, CA still has the edge.

It's interesting that you chose the opposite to me for tracks like Moonage Daydream, Cracked Actor and Knock On Wood (not that there's a right or wrong choice of course). To my ears Moonage Daydream sounds more powerful on David Live. With Cracked Actor it was difficult to decide. Musically, there's much more going on, on CA but I think I prefer the vocals of DL. As for Knock on Wood, it may be that I'm just way more familiar with the DL version. I think I'll have to revisit this subject in a couple of months to see if my choices will change.

Previously, it was only possible to compare David Live to Strange Fascination and DL would always win that battle. With the release of Cracked Actor, it's much more of a level playing field, so it will be interesting to see which album the fans ultimately prefer.

Cracked Actor seems to have been very well received in the UK - No 1 in the vinyl album chart and No 20 on the main chart. I'd be surprised if we don't see a CD/download release before the year is out.
UrchinOne
White and Dressed to Kill.

mikewes
(Login west406)
BW Member

Strange Fascination, eBay dreamer,

No score for this post
May 3 2017, 5:50 PM 

Just looked at freece-bay and some chancer has the vinyl box set of Strange Fascination for £375.00 , these guys live in cloud cookoo land !

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

Re: Strange Fascination, eBay dreamer,

No score for this post
May 6 2017, 3:01 PM 

Really nice sounding album with nice backing vocals. Bowie' s vocal are strange in places. On ATYD he rolls his Rs and on other tracks he adopts some cod American accent that sounds a bit Lloyd Grossman, kind of muddled .

I imagine they would've been fascinating concerts to attend but I think the songs are better in their original context.
"I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star"

https://godisimaginary.com/

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

Re: Strange Fascination, eBay dreamer,

No score for this post
May 18 2017, 8:38 AM 

Dunno where else to say it, but I always found the little note in the sleeve of David Live saying something like 'the best musicians I've ever worked with' to be a bit of an up yours to The Spiders. Fair enough he wanted to package the album list some old lounge collection, but I thought it unnecessary in context.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website