cracked actor vs david live

April 26 2017 at 1:42 AM
No score for this post
Anonymous  (Login sylvianne)
BW Member

so which live album do you all prefer?
either as a whole or track by track.
for those who have heard the new version don't Base it on the bootlegs
I'm hearing good things and the good news is that it's likely it was mastered for digital release. so expect a cd release possibly with different artwork.
do you agree will we see subsequent releases of cracked actor soon?
discuss please.....

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Nemo
(Login whidbeyisland)
BW Member

Re: cracked actor vs david live

No score for this post
April 26 2017, 1:55 AM 

No turntable, no Cracked Actor.
According to Discogs they pressed 17,000 worldwide, 5,000 for Great Britain.
I don't think they will pass on releasing it digitally later.
Better bait than 'Legacy'

jopasso
(Login jopasso)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 26 2017, 8:25 AM 

In my opinion David Live mix and production is better, but I'm glad to get rid of all my L.A.74 bootlegs, and have an "official" version at least.
I prefer some songs on DL (1984,Changes...) and others on CA (Sweet thing, Space oddity..)
Bowie's voice is far better on CA, and Slick's guitar is not as tiring as in DL

Let's hope one day a Soul Tour Official release sees the light of the day

Anonymous
(Login sylvianne)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 26 2017, 9:03 AM 

thanks. Nice insight jopasso
soon as I hear the official version I can compare with david live.
what about moonage daydream? , a key track for me. from memory and talking only the bootleg I think the ca version may just have the edge but I will have to listen to both again.

tintoy
(Login tintoy)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 26 2017, 9:20 AM 

I'll get back to you if CA gets a digital release sad.gif
DL is brilliant, very damaged, very dark . . .

jopasso
(Login jopasso)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 26 2017, 10:06 AM 

I totally agree with that description.
I find DL dark, and kind of menacing. Brilliant in its imperfection. I adore DL.

While CA is much more "loose" if you understand me. Bowie seems more confident, perhaps due to voice improvement in comparison to DL.

Moonage Daydream?

Don't know, perhaps the DL version is more powerful, but the CA one is richer (Alomar joins the band) and a bit slower, and as I said before, he plays more with his voice as in Sweet thing.

I think I maybe mythologised L.A. concert after seeing the documentary a million times.
Especially those "reptile" movements in Moonage daydream wink.gif

nick fa
(Login nickfa)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 26 2017, 10:25 AM 

Cracked actor for me, the show and performance is better Bowie's vocals are top notch the band is a lot better and tighter the bass is far more prominent and funky and the backing vocals are top notch. After playing cracked actor several times, this morning I played David Live and it sounded far from live, almost dull at times compared with Cracked actor.

footstompin
(Login footstompin)
BW Member

Cracked Actor same as Strange Fascination ?

No score for this post
April 26 2017, 11:24 AM 

Ok, "All the Young Dudes" is full on Cracked Actor.
But are there other differences between the 2 ?
Are David's funny speeches between songs on Cracked Actor as they are on Strange Fascination ?

nickfa
(Login nickfa)
BW Member

Re: Cracked Actor same as Strange Fascination ?

No score for this post
April 26 2017, 11:31 AM 

cracked actor has intro cut to about 30 seconds, speech before dudes cut, short speech before knock on wood cut. the bootlegs are all in mono with a stereo audience and a muddy sound . Cracked actor full stereo and very clear and clean sound.

Bernie
(Login BernieRhodesKnowsDontArgue)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 26 2017, 11:35 AM 

No the 'funny speeches' are gone and I'm glad they are...

For me it's CA above DL, it sounds so much more live and a whole as a concert and Luther Vandross is superb

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 26 2017, 11:38 AM 

Some of those talkie bits were a bit much.

mikewest
(Login west406)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 26 2017, 12:13 PM 

I liked his Porto Rican impressions, shame it's not on C.A .

footstompin
(Login footstompin)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 26 2017, 12:53 PM 

That's what I thought, the speech are cut. Why being glad they had been cut ? It was part of the show.

jopasso
(Login jopasso)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 26 2017, 1:15 PM 

I must add that the Aladdin Sane version is superb in CA. That bass is really great

Anonymous
(Login sylvianne)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 26 2017, 1:41 PM 

damn I need to hear this mix of ca.
I'm a bit reluctant to play my boot of it so as when I hear the new mix it will feel like a whole new listening experience.
how about time? that is a great version on david live.
it's great to read so much positivity around ca.
one thing I will miss on it is width of a circle, I love the arrangement of it on david live.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 26 2017, 1:55 PM 

They fixed the malfunctioning tape on Time. Which in a weird way ruins it for me happy.gif

Also, the intro of Moonage daydream has the drums much clearer, which again is a mistake as it sounds like a fuck up as they're played wrong.

Anonymous
(Login Nature_Boy)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 26 2017, 2:13 PM 

I love the bass on CA too, a lot of the tracks are funkier because of it, even Moonage Daydream. I really love the funky take of Knock On Wood.

Even though Bowie's voice is raspy on David Live, I actually think he puts in a much better performance than CA
The Thin White Duke - David Bowie Tribute Band
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 26 2017, 7:17 PM 

I don't want a funky Moonage Daydream.

Although Bowie said the Arnold Corns version was aimed at the discotheque crowd.

Hmmm.

brain melts

Stranger
(Login Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land)
BW Member

Freak out in a moonage disco / NOW YOU'RE GOING TO SEE ELEPHANTS!

No score for this post
April 26 2017, 9:58 PM 

When did he say that about the Arnold Corns version of Moonage Daydream?

---------------------------------

I guess Cracked Actor misses the "it's a big-a success-ah...now you're going to see elephants!" bit.

Although someone here did come up with a quite rational and believable explanation re the latter exclamation and what he said in reality, though what that was I can't remember for the life of me.
------------------
The next EMI Expanded Editions:
* What are your hopes for these releases?
* Let's have The Man Who Sold The World with the complete Paris Cinema Studios, Feb 5, 1970 radio concert, and the complete April 1970 radio session. Hunky Dory - add the complete Paris Cinema Studios concert, June 1971 in stereo, from the BBC Stereo Transcription LP if the master is lost!
* Any future live 1974 release MUST include a recording of Drive In Saturday from the early part of the tour, it's classic!
The next DVD release?
* Cracked Actor / Omnibus documentary must be released on DVD!

Recommended:
Tiffiny Townsend | She's Got Issues | The She Creatures |

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

Re: Freak out in a moonage disco / NOW YOU'RE GOING TO SEE ELEPHANTS!

Score 2.0 (1 person)
April 26 2017, 10:02 PM 

The quote was probably in Curious at the time of release. Would need to check though. After reading it, probably in (curiously) 'Moonage' Daydream back in '87 I GOT what he meant immediately.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website