<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Nick f
(Login nickfa)
BW Member

Re: Bowie referencing / re-using his own work

No score for this post
May 6 2017, 7:11 PM 

Three penny pierot - London bye ta ta

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Nick f
(Login nickfa)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 6 2017, 7:15 PM 

Columbine reminds me of something,possibly wild eyed boy from free cloud. But there are several riffs in it similar to various tracks on space oddity.

TJNewton
(Login themysteries)
BW Member

First Reference

No score for this post
May 7 2017, 11:56 PM 

Ok I am going for gold on the earliest reference.

Chord progression on ching a ling was reused almost identically on Saviour Machine.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

Re: First Reference

No score for this post
May 8 2017, 7:12 AM 

Read the thread dude happy.gif

Yes it's difficult to think of something earlier than that. Although I'd stick that in the re-working unreleased material bracket rather than referencing. So in that case, Silly Boy Blue's total re-write could be considered earlier?

Em
(Login crackedemerald)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 13 2017, 5:55 PM 

Well, he was a Time Lord.

dazhoo
(Login dazhoo072)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 8 2017, 8:04 AM 

Little Wonder Grumpy Gnomes And The Laughing Gnome

nick f
(Login nickfa)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 8 2017, 7:05 PM 

The Astronettes I am divine - Somebody up there likes me.
The Astronettes People from bad homes - Fashion

tippidog
(Login tippidog)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 11 2017, 6:08 PM 

Exact same chord progression for 'Fantastic Voyage' and 'Boys Keep Swinging.'

Michael
(Login Mist001)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 14 2017, 7:54 PM 

John I'm Only Dancing > John I'm Only Dancing (Again) > Stay

Sister Midnight > Red Money > Bleed Like A Craze.

Mist.
'When I saw the result, I threw up. My body rejected it.'

Anonymous
(Login BenderRodriguez)
BW Member

Score 5.0 (1 person)
May 15 2017, 12:26 AM 

Look Back In Anger --> Look Back In Anger 88 --> Now --> Outside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_x6JzOIRCA

Sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 15 2017, 12:46 AM 

It's No Game / Tired of My Life.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 15 2017, 7:26 AM 

I take it people are mentioning ones said in the OP just to wind me up happy.gif

Good post Bender, although I would also argue not strictly true? Rerecording - working version - different song?

Nemo
(Login whidbeyisland)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 22 2017, 5:01 AM 

"Self-kleptomania is the normal human condition: that's Dada."
Tristan Tzara

Anonymous
(Login BenderRodriguez)
BW Member

Score 5.0 (1 person)
May 22 2017, 9:18 AM 

Hangman, you're right. Look Back In Anger to Outside mutates along the way so that Outside has no similarities to Look Back in Anger, but each stage is connected. Look Back in Anger is reworked with Gabrels for the 1988 version, then that reworked version becomes the lengthy intro to Now, then that lengthy intro is chopped of to just leave the track Outside.

The "something happened on the day he died" section of Blackstar has a transposed descending 4 chord progression from the choruses of Ashes to Ashes ("I've never done good things...") that was also used quite differently in Oxford Town. Took me a while to figure out where I heard it before. Sounded familiar but couldn't place where.

Pug Nosed Face (co-write with Merchant and Gervais) is A --> Fmaj7 --> G --> G#dim
Similarly, the "do you like girls or boys?" section of Spaceboy is A--> Fmaj7 --> G --> Gb

FYI: Fmaj7 is A minor, but with F on the bass. It's quite distinctive sounding on the songs above cos it's preceded by a regular A. So it's like a major to minor. Fmaj7 is also the opening chord on both Space Oddity and Where Are We Now? I reckon that was intentional self referencing.

This message has been edited by BenderRodriguez on May 22, 2017 2:51 PM

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website