<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

"David Bowie's dead! Get over it!"

May 1 2017 at 3:59 AM
No score for this post

BSI  (Login bowieseveninch)
BW Member

https://thecomplexityproject.wordpress.com/2017/05/01/david-bowies-dead-get-over-it/

I found myself watching an enthralling music debate unfold earlier today regarding Bowie fans who still mourn Bowie's death on a daily basis. There were some truly constructive thoughts put forward for both sides of the argument so I felt inspired to write about it in my blog.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

Re: "David Bowie's dead! Get over it!"

No score for this post
May 1 2017, 4:39 AM 

I can see both sides too but you can't tell someone how to feel. I'm over it but if someone isn't that's their choice.

Jon
(Login the_starman)
BW Member

they move in numbers

No score for this post
May 1 2017, 7:18 AM 

I wonder if the mawkish, self-serving public emoting that some engaged in after the death of David Bowie was just a symptom of the infantalized, narcissistic culture that seems to have grown up around us. Frankly, anyone who claims to have felt the loss of a public figure above that of their own loved ones is either a foolish drama queen or needs some professional help.

jon

This message has been edited by the_starman on May 1, 2017 7:52 AM

tintoy
(Login tintoy)
BW Member

impermanence . . .

No score for this post
May 1 2017, 7:30 AM 

maybe, a little bit of us died too happy.gif

Jon
(Login the_starman)
BW Member

Re: impermanence . . .

No score for this post
May 1 2017, 7:53 AM 

poor you, little snowflake

tintoy
(Login tintoy)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 1 2017, 7:54 AM 

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? happy.gif

Jon
(Login the_starman)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 1 2017, 8:13 AM 

are you Bill or Ted?

Sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

Re: they move in numbers

No score for this post
May 1 2017, 8:29 AM 

" Frankly, anyone who claims to have felt the loss of a public figure above that of their own loved ones is either a foolish drama queen or needs some professional help. "

Who says that they do?

Jon
(Login the_starman)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 1 2017, 8:31 AM 

'...it did get me thinking as to why so many people mourn the loss of the 20th Centuries most influential artist more than they have their own parents and loved ones.'

'So why do so many of his fans still miss him like they miss a loved family member?'

it was an isssue and question that the original poster's blog poses. Do keep up.

This message has been edited by the_starman on May 1, 2017 10:13 AM

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 1 2017, 8:59 AM 

Like politics sexuality humour emotional states get YOU. I think people who are emotionally drifting are sad about everything really.

I never felt a thing when Elvis died or Diana or Bowie. I didn't know any of them on a personal level so how could I feel anything? I refuse to pretend to be sad.
"I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star"

https://godisimaginary.com/

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 1 2017, 9:52 AM 

I mourned the passing of my childhood when he died.

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 1 2017, 9:54 AM 

That's a long childhood eh!

Gabor
(Login Gabor_C)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 1 2017, 7:23 PM 

Actually Jon, when my grandparents died both of them were suffering from Alzheimers (my grandma) and dementia (my grandfather) for years, in the case of my grandma - for more than a decade. They were both over 90 and spent their last months in hospitals. Both of them lived full and eventful lives, with heartache and happiness. When they have died I was glad that they didn't suffer anymore. I did not cry, my family was reminiscing, not really mourning at their funeral.

When Bowie died it hit me hard, I cried a lot that week, it made me face my mortality due to the circumstances of his death and I had to realized that I'm not young anymore at 38.

That said I got over it in a few weeks.

But, Jon, things affect people differently - a little empathy goes a long way.

Richard
(Login ikonikon)
BW Member

things affect people differently

No score for this post
May 1 2017, 8:47 PM 

I learned he died about 6 hours after I had seen Lazarus -- that night on Jan 10, I was SO happy that he was back amongst us, to bring joy, elation, fun with his words and music. And then the play, and I thought, wow, what else has he got up his sleeve? ... And then, nothing. I am an early fan, and DB was into a lot of the same scenes over the years I am/was, from soul to avant-garde and obscure worldbeat. It was always such a neat surprise to learn what he had just discovered. So yeah, there's a real sense of loss, mostly of that connection.

Anonymous
(Login brianslade)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 2 2017, 3:47 AM 

I had an interesting response with regards to seattle radio station kexp which celebrated the life of Bowie from the 8th to the 10th of january this year

I was a little bit 'over it', the man has "gone off into the distance", and i can play his records anytime i want

The same deal with Prince, which was only a couple of weeks ago

Em
(Login crackedemerald)
BW Member

Score 5.0 (1 person)
May 2 2017, 6:36 AM 

Sorry.
Can't.

Sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

Score 5.0 (1 person)
May 2 2017, 7:23 AM 

Here's a great way to look at it!

[linked image]

This message has been edited by ziggythecowboy on May 2, 2017 7:36 AM

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 2 2017, 5:40 PM 

Why? Simon Pegg is a prick.

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 2 2017, 6:04 PM 

...and also it's secondhand

Jon
(Login the_starman)
BW Member

one inch thoughts

No score for this post
May 2 2017, 6:34 PM 

of course it is ena - and that's sort of fitting really given the vicarious nature of these saps' manufactured 'grief'.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website