<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

Re: Setlist excitement

No score for this post
May 7 2017, 9:07 PM 

That's what happens when you have hired guns. The Spiders, who had lived in a house together for ages living the music, were able to throw in any number of songs and change the set list around (barring the ceremonial opening combo). Organically setting on what works and keeping it fresh. Then he gets to America and finds a band and gets someone else to teach them the live set.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   

Stranger
(Login Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land)
BW Member

Zombies on stage

No score for this post
May 7 2017, 9:24 PM 

...lurching from song to song...

------------------
The next EMI Expanded Editions:
* What are your hopes for these releases?
* Let's have The Man Who Sold The World with the complete Paris Cinema Studios, Feb 5, 1970 radio concert, and the complete April 1970 radio session. Hunky Dory - add the complete Paris Cinema Studios concert, June 1971 in stereo, from the BBC Stereo Transcription LP if the master is lost!
* Any future live 1974 release MUST include a recording of Drive In Saturday from the early part of the tour, it's classic!
The next DVD release?
* Cracked Actor / Omnibus documentary must be released on DVD!

Recommended:
Tiffiny Townsend | She's Got Issues | The She Creatures |

mikewest
(Login west406)
BW Member

Re: Zombies on stage

No score for this post
May 8 2017, 8:23 PM 

Every tour seemed to get worse as time wore on already stated on here, he seemed easily bored with touring, funnily enough the only tour which seemed to get better was ironically Reality and we all know what happened at the end of that one !

Stranger
(Login Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land)
BW Member

Tour malaise - yes and no

No score for this post
May 9 2017, 12:33 AM 

There is some truth in that, but there are exceptions to every rule.

I know from reading John Hutchinson's book, that for some band members, the 73 tour began to feel 'routine' towards the end, albeit a smooth machine for the most part doing a good job. What he didn't touch on (probably didn't notice it perhaps due to being a new country difference culture), was that some of the Japan shows weren't so hot due to the respectful reactions of the audience (muted compared to Britain, like I say out of respect / cultural mores as opposed to lack of enjoyment) - but that wasn't the end of the tour.

In the above tour, and others, there were sometimes changes and/or songs added towards the end at least in the 73 and 74 tours to keep things from going stale. Also the 76 tour wasn't bad towards the end.

Even the 78 tour had that Tokyo TV show (with the monkey mask!happy.gif). The 83 tour had Imagine played towards the end, and the 87 tour had I Wanna Be Your Dog added in towards the end and the Sydney shows were pretty good.

So I don't think every tour got worse and worse period.

Still not sure how good a show from Perth 78 will be though happy.gif. Perhaps if it does emerge we might be surprised.
------------------
The next EMI Expanded Editions:
* What are your hopes for these releases?
* Let's have The Man Who Sold The World with the complete Paris Cinema Studios, Feb 5, 1970 radio concert, and the complete April 1970 radio session. Hunky Dory - add the complete Paris Cinema Studios concert, June 1971 in stereo, from the BBC Stereo Transcription LP if the master is lost!
* Any future live 1974 release MUST include a recording of Drive In Saturday from the early part of the tour, it's classic!
The next DVD release?
* Cracked Actor / Omnibus documentary must be released on DVD!

Recommended:
Tiffiny Townsend | She's Got Issues | The She Creatures |

footstompin
(Login footstompin)
BW Member

Re: Tour malaise - yes and no

No score for this post
May 9 2017, 11:02 AM 

Fingers are crossed. I'd love to discover a new show from de Isolar II.
To me, it's the best tour DB had. The setlist is great with the best of Low and Heroes. The band was powerful. The rhythm section was astonishing and Adrian Belew is better than Stacey Headon on lead guitar. David had is best band and was in good voice. If the new show is remastered by Tony Visconti, i'm sure he will take care of the bass and drum as he did for the Stage remaster.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 9 2017, 8:54 PM 

To me, the sound of the '76 and '78 band were the very opposite of what Bowie is to me. Not a diss, just fascinating that he is everything to all men.

Larranaga
(Login Larranaga)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 10 2017, 11:12 AM 

Best thing about the 1978 tour for me was Bowie's singing.
He was in fantastic voice and made most of it sound completely effortless.
Band were a bit awkward on some of the Ziggy stuff but brilliant on the rest of it.
George Murray and Dennis Davis were on top form throughout
and who else but Bowie would've combined funk rhythm guitar with electric violin
and a lead guitar that sounded like an exploding horse going over a cliff?!
All that and Alabama Song, too.
They don't make em like that anymore...

This message has been edited by Larranaga on May 10, 2017 11:53 AM

birotheleggy
(Login biro_the_leggy)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 10 2017, 10:24 PM 

While I really like the '78 tour... the setlist was so static, that you really only need like... two albums from that tour - "Stage" and "Baton Rouge" (which includes "Rock & Roll Suicide" "Jean Genie" and "Rebel Rebel", all of which are missing from Stage)

and you'd end up with every song that they played.

I think... at one point I did have a copy of the Perth concert - but it wasn't in great sound quality... or maybe I only had it on Minidisc. Unfortunately, I don't remember anything significant about that concert

but you know... I hope that there's something special about the Perth show, if it does get released. It could be a good performance, and ... judging by the "Forever Yours" bootleg (from Sydney) it'll at least have two of those three 'missing' songs

...just wish they'd include an earlier concert - when they still played "RnR Suicide"

I wonder if the set list was so static was more due to the limitations of technology at the time, than anything else.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 11 2017, 7:19 AM 

How so?

I agree with the rest.

mcnabadam
(Login mcnabadam)
BW Member

Songs played on 78 tour

No score for this post
May 11 2017, 9:50 AM 

He also played "Sound & Vision" on that tour, at Earls Court, it's on "Rarest One Bowie" official album. However, a pretty limp version, don't know if it was played anywhere else. Would be keen to track down a better 78 tour version of that.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

Re: Songs played on 78 tour

No score for this post
May 11 2017, 6:00 PM 

Limp is right.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 11 2017, 6:35 PM 

In other news - with Cracked Actor becoming a proper part of the catalogue on CD (I guess primarily as a beat the bootlegs type project) I'd find it odd if Perth was released on the same score.

birotheleggy
(Login biro_the_leggy)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 11 2017, 7:07 PM 

oh yea - I forgot about "Sound & Vision" ... he introduces it as 'here's one we haven't done before' (or something like that)

it also pretty quickly disappeared from the setlist during the "heathen" tour

(I know it was played during the S+V Tour as well, but I don't think it was THAT often)

maybe it was just one of those songs that doesn't quite 'work' live

This message has been edited by biro_the_leggy on May 11, 2017 7:10 PM

Anonymous
(Login sylvianne)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 11 2017, 10:20 PM 

never been a favourite live.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website