<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Perth 78

May 4 2017 at 5:34 PM
No score for this post
footstompin  (Login footstompin)
BW Member

"ART DECADE (Live Perth ‘78)" will be on B-side of the "BE MY WIFE LIMITED EDITION 40th ANNIVERSARY 7" PICTURE DISC"
What do we know about this show ? Is there a bootkleg of it ?
Is it a teasing : the complet Perth 78 live for the next "berlin" boxset ? That would be a very good surprise.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Tyler
(Login libertine90)
BW Member

Re: Perth 78

No score for this post
May 5 2017, 6:37 PM 

I've already been asking about this on BowieStation. Apparently it was an FM broadcast yet there's no boots circulating? Someone mentioned a private collector or two may have it but of course don't want to let it out for everyone else so...let's hope the rest of the show gets an official release very soon

This message has been edited by libertine90 on May 5, 2017 6:38 PM

Valentino Liberace
(Login Valentino_Liberace)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 5 2017, 7:53 PM 

Quote: "the complete Perth 78 live for the next "berlin" boxset ? That would be a very good surprise."

Makes more sense to have the complete Berlin 1978 live for the Berlin Boxset.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Photo of Bowie in Perth 1978.

[linked image]
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

[linked image]

Tyler
(Login libertine90)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 5 2017, 8:30 PM 

But I'd again make the argument that "Berlin" isn't really the proper title to attribute to this period, as "Heroes" was really the only album recorded there. And as long as it's something we don't already have, I'm fine with it!

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 5 2017, 8:35 PM 

It was in guillemets, tone down the OCD lads.

Anonymous
(Login MGOSCH)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 6 2017, 1:08 AM 

Setlist
Warszawa

"Heroes"

What in the World

Be My Wife
The Jean Genie

Be My Wife
Five Years
Soul Love
Star
Hang On to Yourself
Fame
Beauty and the Beast
Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)
(Kurt Weill cover)
Ziggy Stardust
Suffragette City
Art Decade
Station to Station
Stay
Rebel Rebel

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 6 2017, 8:00 AM 

Another '78 show wouldn't be too worthwhile really would it? Especially since we have the identical 'corrected' Stage. Not a favourite tour anyway, but speaking objectively.

Jon
(Login the_starman)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 6 2017, 9:53 AM 

They'll save it for Record Store Day 2018 I reckon.

I actually saw him on that tour - I was just a kid, honest! I adored it of course, but the Stage album(s) - and the various bootlegs I've heard since - have left me pretty cold I must confess. The low material isn't suitable for a live setting, the ziggy material sounds like him doing cover versions of his own songs, and, generally, the band doesn't swing the way it does on the 74 and 76 tours IMO. (FWW I think the Bremen 78 TV performance is easily the best - much looser than the formal shows)

Jon

mikewest
(Login west406)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 6 2017, 10:17 AM 

Well done Jon ( as usual ) well observed and completely agree with you, some of the songs on the tour were pretty turgid meaning mainly the instrumentals , they just didn't work , and got worse when Roll N Roll Suicide was dropped for the dreadful Alabama Song, and we have the worst one as a b-side to Be my Wife.
The 74,76 were much better, listen to the new Cracked Actor/David Live and Nassau , these are cracking recordings.
Bremen is great and quite funny in the way the audience just sit there like dummy's .

mcnabadam
(Login mcnabadam)
BW Member

Perth 78

No score for this post
May 7 2017, 11:59 AM 

Have to say I love the 78 tour, my favourite one that he did. His voice was at it's best, seemed to be off the drugs and focused more than in 76. Liked the Low stuff performed live, the band, esp Belew were superb and the way they did "Heroes" was true to the original recording, sadly becoming more bland and stadium orientated on every subsequent tour.

I would welcome a release of the full Perth gig as there isn't a soundboard quality release of a whole 78 concert out there to my knowledge, but stand to be corrected. Therefore, it will be interesting to hear if the sound quality on this b-side is soundboard, which might mean they are thinking about it. Would hope it is a cd release, not another Record Store vinyl exlusive cash-in.

Interesting to know the date of this recording. The Bowie official site says it is Nov 15th, while Pegg has it down as Nov 14th in my edition. Did he do a second night in Perth or was it really on Nov 14th? Or was it recorded for Aussie Radio on Nov 15th whilst he was still there?

Michael.
(Login Mist001)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 7 2017, 12:39 PM 

I'm not keen on the Australian 78 boots that are around just now (Speed Of Life, Kiss You In The Rain, and Forever Yours). They're a bit boring and plodding, generally not very exciting probably because it was the end of the tour and everyone was sick of playing the songs by that time and couldn't wait to get finished.

Perth would be good to have to complete the set but I wouldn't expect it to be any great shakes performance wise.

Mist.
'When I saw the result, I threw up. My body rejected it.'

Stranger
(Login Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land)
BW Member

yes

No score for this post
May 7 2017, 1:58 PM 

I agree, the Japan dates just after this time in particular grate very badly, Bowie and the band sound so bored, the "FM" gig from the latter part of the tour is so static, as in staid, dull, sends me to sleep even after a listening to it for a minute when I did try way back when (and I did try, more than once).

Weirdly enough, the Tokyo TV gig sounded like they'd all woken up a bit - but then it was for TV.

The Australian gigs similarly didn't do much for me.

Bowie often only pulled out the stops on tour when he needed too. To be fair, there have been bands like The Doors and the Fall where the singer has been totally out of it throughout many of their gigs to make it through the duldrums of doing the same thing again and again (how many of us smile and grin throughout our day jobs?), so Bowie only upping his attention level and performance here and there is understandable.
------------------
The next EMI Expanded Editions:
* What are your hopes for these releases?
* Let's have The Man Who Sold The World with the complete Paris Cinema Studios, Feb 5, 1970 radio concert, and the complete April 1970 radio session. Hunky Dory - add the complete Paris Cinema Studios concert, June 1971 in stereo, from the BBC Stereo Transcription LP if the master is lost!
* Any future live 1974 release MUST include a recording of Drive In Saturday from the early part of the tour, it's classic!
The next DVD release?
* Cracked Actor / Omnibus documentary must be released on DVD!

Recommended:
Tiffiny Townsend | She's Got Issues | The She Creatures |

Anonymous
(Login karmapastures)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 7 2017, 1:51 PM 

I'm fairly sure that there were two Perth concerts in 1978. As an indoor venue it was much smaller than the outside venues played elsewhere in Australia on that tour.

Never heard of a FM broadcast, but then again Perth's a long way from anywhere, including the east coast of Australia.

mcnabadam
(Login mcnabadam)
BW Member

Perth 78

No score for this post
May 7 2017, 3:36 PM 

It says in the Pegg book "Nov 14, 78: Australian TV show Countdown includes interview and live clip of Alabama Song". So maybe that show was recorded for TV broadcast?

Anonymous
(Login MGOSCH)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 7 2017, 3:43 PM 

Stranger
BW Member

bored out of their brains

No score for this post
May 7 2017, 4:31 PM 

In the Wim Hedriske Live 1958-1986 book I too noticed a reference about Perth...it says

14-11-1978 Australian TV show, Countdown. Included interview and parts of live clips 'Alabama Song' and 'Ziggy Stardust'.

I think Alabama Song was from a rehearsal though, I had it on tape way back, and it was an swful, silly version - the full live version was good sometimes though.

Like we've been saying though, I still doubt the Bowie and the band were particularly fresh and attacking the material which much verve and vitality by that point of the tour. I guess it being a 2 hour show and not all the hits might have been something to do with that.

Don't get me wrong, I do like some of the 78 tour - on the earlier dates though.
------------------
* Let's have The Man Who Sold The World with the complete Paris Cinema Studios, Feb 5, 1970 radio concert, and the complete April 1970 radio session. Hunky Dory - add the complete Paris Cinema Studios concert, June 1971 in stereo, from the BBC Stereo Transcription LP if the master is lost!
* Any future live 1974 release MUST include a recording of Drive In Saturday from the early part of the tour, it's classic!
The next DVD release?

Recommended:

This message has been edited by Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land on May 7, 2017 4:51 PM

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

Re: bored out of their brains

No score for this post
May 7 2017, 5:06 PM 

Stage was the Sound and Vision Tour of 78. I think at the beginning he was into it but he got bored of it. Bowie' s short tours are always the best, even Tin Machine.

Serious Moonlight almost killed him and Glass Spider was kak
"I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star"

https://godisimaginary.com/

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 7 2017, 5:36 PM 

Reality nearly killed him too sad.gif

Anonymous
(Login sylvianne)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 7 2017, 8:13 PM 

2 dates in Perth 14th and 15th.
2nd show added. apparently it was the better of the 2 even though it was almost half empty.

talking of stage album, the low tracks particularly what in the world sounded great but the best were the heroes tracks particularly blackout and beauty and the beast but the title track is an amazing performance, one of the very best I've heard and I include the live aid version. I loved the arrangement in 83 but the version on stage is for me anyway the ultimate version.

Stranger
BW Member

Setlist excitement

No score for this post
May 7 2017, 8:43 PM 

what puzzles me, is for someone who took so many chances with studio LPs, is why they didn't change the setlist much during each tour.

Imagine being in the band...what's the setlist for tonight's show!? Oh, the same as the last night, and for the last week, and the last month before that and before that sad.gif Groundhog day for ever.

Yet he took chances by getting drunk or drugged onstage, at least in the 74 and 76 tours.
------------------
The next DVD release?

Recommended:

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website