<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

New Book: Bowie Unseen by Gerald Fearnley

May 15 2017 at 4:06 PM
No score for this post

Paul Kinder  (Premier Login paulkinder)
BW Member

NEW BOOK: BOWIE UNSEEN BY GERALD FEARNLEY

All set for publication on Friday 14th July is BOWIE UNSEENPortraits of an Artist as a Young Man' by GERALD FEARNLEY.

This publication collects original and rare photographs from Bowie's debut album shoot, which were released for the first time as fine art prints in 2016. These pictures show Bowie pre-fame, pre-Ziggy Stardust, as a young man unaware of what the future holds A glimpse at the origins of a late great pop-music icon.

Alongside the famous album shot are many completely unknown, unpublished and sought-after 'buried treasures' which were taken at Fearnley's studio in a basement beneath a church in Bryanston Street, near Marble Arch in London. They show a playful side to Bowie 'clowning around' in a superhero jumper, with face paint on, laughing and smiling while throwing shapes.

The link between the two men is Gerald's brother 'Dek', who was the bass player of Sixties band The Buzz. They backed Bowie in 1966-1967 and also featured on his first album. The whole of The Buzz and Bowie & co. would stay at Gerald's house, where they would prepare before their gigs. Bowie often also went there alone to write songs.

Now - fifty years since the original photo session and release of David Bowie's debut album - the unseen photos of Gerald Fearnley are presented here for the first time. These whimsical, youthful images capture the artist as a young man only a few years before he'd transform himself into Ziggy Stardust and launch a career that would become one of the most successful and influential in the history of modern music.

This 80-page hardback publication is sized at 230 mm x 190 mm, with illustrations: 10 colour, 80 black and white and is published via ACC Art Books.

About the Author: Gerald Fearnley is a professional photographer, famous for capturing the front cover shot for Bowie's debut album, David Bowie, in the '60s. The friendship between the Fearnley family and Bowie meant that Bowie spent a lot of time at Gerald's house in Worcester Park, Surrey, both preparing for gigs and writing songs.

You can pre-order Bowie Unseen: Portraits of an Artist as a Young Man NOW!

http://www.bowiewonderworld.com/bowienews/news.htm#bugf

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Anonymous
(Login Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land)
BW Member

studio in a basement below a church

No score for this post
May 16 2017, 12:08 AM 

was it only me who couldn't help thinking of the lyric 'in a cellar like a church with the door ajar" from Candidate on reading that bit?

anyway I'll be getting this book.
------------------
The next EMI Expanded Editions:
* What are your hopes for these releases?
* Let's have The Man Who Sold The World with the complete Paris Cinema Studios, Feb 5, 1970 radio concert, and the complete April 1970 radio session. Hunky Dory - add the complete Paris Cinema Studios concert, June 1971 in stereo, from the BBC Stereo Transcription LP if the master is lost!
* Any future live 1974 release MUST include a recording of Drive In Saturday from the early part of the tour, it's classic!
The next DVD release?
* Cracked Actor / Omnibus documentary must be released on DVD!

Recommended:
Tiffiny Townsend | She's Got Issues | The She Creatures |

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

Re: studio in a basement below a church

No score for this post
May 16 2017, 7:37 AM 

When we get nuggets like that I do wonder exactly what was written there. Would be great if Bryanston Street was in brackets after one of the Aladdin Sane songs.

I wish I had time to connect all the songs to the exact location we know they were written. I remember the owner of Legastat saying Bowie would strum Space Oddity in the back room when he worked there. I'm not sure that's too true, but you kind of think those details are now lost forever.

Who knows - maybe the Aprils Tooth Of Gold and When I'm Five acoustic demos were made there?

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website