<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

It's no Game vocal

May 17 2017 at 8:26 PM
No score for this post

Stranger  (Login Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land)
BW Member

just picked this up from the Fall forum - the lady who sings on It's no Game is one of the 2 ladies on the cover of the Sparks Kimono My House lp - see here -

http://z1.invisionfree.com/thefall/index.php?showtopic=12367&st=4375entry40062209

------------------
The next EMI Expanded Editions:
* What are your hopes for these releases?
* Let's have The Man Who Sold The World with the complete Paris Cinema Studios, Feb 5, 1970 radio concert, and the complete April 1970 radio session. Hunky Dory - add the complete Paris Cinema Studios concert, June 1971 in stereo, from the BBC Stereo Transcription LP if the master is lost!
* Any future live 1974 release MUST include a recording of Drive In Saturday from the early part of the tour, it's classic!
The next DVD release?
* Cracked Actor / Omnibus documentary must be released on DVD!

Recommended:
Tiffiny Townsend | She's Got Issues | The She Creatures |

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

Re: It's no Game vocal

No score for this post
May 17 2017, 9:15 PM 

Fairly well known, non?

mikewest
(Login west406)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 17 2017, 11:15 PM 

Well I never knew that, Saw sparks play at the Islington academy playing this album as well as Indiscrete and Propaganda
Bloody brilliant !

Tony
(Login tonbon)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 18 2017, 12:11 AM 

I wasn't aware of this either, and my friend, Sal Maida, played bass for them on their '76 'Big Beat' LP just before he joined Roxy. "It's No Game (Pt. I)" could be in my top 10 fave Bowie tunes (and that ain't no easy feat to compile).

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 18 2017, 7:02 AM 

Ah were we talking about Milk N Cookies a few years ago?

Larranaga
(Login Larranaga)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 18 2017, 10:12 AM 

Wot, you mean that's not the Maels in drag?!
Ooh, them pesky urban myths...
Ere, Tony, did the Maels play your friend, Sal, the Big Beat demos/rehearsal tapes that Ronson played on?
Ron Mael said that Ronno had 'played with great abandon' and the demos were so good they
played them to Jeffrey Salen, the guitarist for the album, and said 'play like that!'
But no one seems to have heard them since -
Jim Wilson, who played guitar on Sparks 21x21 shows, was a big Ronson fan, but even he didn't get to hear them.

This message has been edited by Larranaga on May 18, 2017 10:14 AM

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 18 2017, 10:46 AM 

Annoyingly, I turned them down years ago and opted for the 1978 Arista Demos in a swap. FFS.

Larranaga
(Login Larranaga)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 18 2017, 1:06 PM 

Sickener! Apparently, they're 'boombox' tapes from rehearsals rather than actual demos
but it'd be brilliant to hear them.
How they failed to get onto the Big Beat remaster a few years back, I'll never know.

Tony
(Login tonbon)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 18 2017, 9:41 PM 

Very interesting, Larranga. I'll see if he's heard them and will give you holler if so.

Tony
(Login tonbon)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 19 2017, 6:16 PM 

Larranaga ~ Sal said he not only heard these tapes but that he was the one who brought Ronno into Sparks! He said he also had these tapes on cassette, but can't find them now, which is a shame. He did say that Ronno "played great on them but in the end bailed on the project." He didn't go into much more detail, but did say that he has a book of his memoirs coming out this summer entitled "Four Strings, Phony Proof and 300 45's," which goes into more on all this. Being a big fan of all the bands he's been in, not to mention Sal's just a good all around dude, I, for one, am looking forward to this read when it comes out.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 19 2017, 7:03 PM 

His autobiography sounds great. Remind us nearer the time when it's out.

Tony
(Login tonbon)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 19 2017, 7:51 PM 

Will do... I'm pretty stoked for it!

Larranaga
(Login Larranaga)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 19 2017, 7:41 PM 

Tony - that's brilliant, mate, cheers for that! I'll definitely look out for Sal's book when it's out.
Suzi Fussey said that Mick couldn't do Big Beat because of Dylan's schedule.
However, Hilly Michaels (drummer on Big Beat)reckoned that the Maels were so keen to keep Ronno
that they sent round a management contract and asked him to sign it there and then.
Having just escaped Tony DeFries, Ronson apparently didn't want to be tied down and bailed on the whole thing.
Who knows.
Will be great to hear Sal's version of events - thanks again, Tony!

Tony
(Login tonbon)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 19 2017, 8:04 PM 

Yeah, could've certainly been both reasons, Larranaga.... 'specially Hilly's take on it : )
Just found a photo of the book cover doing a search. Looks pretty damn cool...http://ow.ly/UpgG30bSzBD
Sal had also mentioned this morning that the Chicago record label HoZac Records is publishing the book. I know he's got some Bowie stories (huge fan natch) so hope some of these make the book as well!

Tony
(Login tonbon)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 18 2017, 9:31 PM 

That's correct, hangman. Great '70s band. Funny story, but I was at Reckless Records in Soho in March (I'm from Chicagloand) and I found the new Milk n Cookies vinyl reissue and when I went to purchase it they said they couldn't find the actual record. This 20 minutes after being in Sister Ray Records across the street and being told they couldn't find the 7" record for the original UK Bowie "Beauty and The Beast" 45 sleeve I brought to the counter to purchase. So much for my London record buying experience.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 19 2017, 7:14 AM 

Ha!

Weirdly it was in that same Sister Ray that I saw the recent M&C reissue. Would've picked it up but was a bit pricy. Got most of it anyhoo.

Larranaga
(Login Larranaga)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 19 2017, 10:49 AM 

Sister Ray was a good shop in the 90s - it's clearly gone downhill!

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 19 2017, 11:40 AM 

Berwick Street was better in the 90s happy.gif

Anonymous
(Login sylvianne)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 19 2017, 1:50 PM 

selectadisc was my favourite.
you got some great bargains in there. think it was where sister ray is now.
I bought more or less all the ryko clear vinyls there for around £6 or £7 each. they even had the beeb sampler cd for £10.

mister cd was another good shop got a lot of the emi/ryko cds there and they sold a portrait in flesh and prince's black album.

Larranaga
(Login Larranaga)
BW Member

No score for this post
May 19 2017, 1:55 PM 

Selectadisc in Nottingham was by far the best record shop I ever went in. Absolutely shitloads of rare or obscure stuff at really good prices.
It was everything that Sheffield's feeble pseud-hole, Record Collector, thinks it is but never even vaguely has been.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website