<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Wonderful clip of Jean Genie from DD Tour

July 10 2017 at 8:31 AM
Score 2.0 (1 person)
TJNewton  (Login themysteries)
BW Member

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Stranger
(Login Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land)
BW Member

Very good indeed, Nacho!

No score for this post
July 10 2017, 9:29 PM 

great to see that, really good footage and dubbing!
------------------
The next EMI Expanded Editions:
* What are your hopes for these releases?
* Let's have The Man Who Sold The World with the complete Paris Cinema Studios, Feb 5, 1970 radio concert, and the complete April 1970 radio session. Hunky Dory - add the complete Paris Cinema Studios concert, June 1971 in stereo, from the BBC Stereo Transcription LP if the master is lost!
* Any future live 1974 release MUST include a recording of Drive In Saturday from the early part of the tour, it's classic!
The next DVD release?
* Cracked Actor / Omnibus documentary must be released on DVD!

Recommended:
Tiffiny Townsend | She's Got Issues | The She Creatures |

Nacho
(Login NachoNacho)
BW Member

Re: Very good indeed, Nacho!

No score for this post
July 17 2017, 1:13 PM 

thanks, Stranger

Stranger
BW Member

Amazed there has not been more reaction to this here...

No score for this post
July 12 2017, 10:27 PM 

while there's been much discussion of pre-Ziggy live / archive material - something I very much believe in - and now the new box set (a mixture of reactions, understandably), I'm amazed there has not been more discussion of this.

Not trying to force the issue, or perhaps I am... happy.gif

I mean, David's playfulness in the video is something I've not seen so much of...not that he's never been silly on film (the 'oh baby just you shut your mouth' bit in China Girl springs to mind).

Also it's well filmed and very close...hopefully we might see more sometime?
------------------
* Let's have The Man Who Sold The World with the complete Paris Cinema Studios, Feb 5, 1970 radio concert, and the complete April 1970 radio session. Hunky Dory - add the complete Paris Cinema Studios concert, June 1971 in stereo, from the BBC Stereo Transcription LP if the master is lost!
* Any future live 1974 release MUST include a recording of Drive In Saturday from the early part of the tour, it's classic!
The next DVD release?

Recommended:

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

Re: Amazed there has not been more reaction to this here...

No score for this post
July 17 2017, 8:45 AM 

Maybe I'm not the only one who saw this previously and finds it a little embarrassing. Maybe others also came to the conclusion that a DD tour DVD might actually undermine the reputation of the tour.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 17 2017, 8:45 AM 

God I'm a drag.

Sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 17 2017, 9:35 AM 

I hear ya! I think half the success of this tour is the mystery surrounding the visuals as there's so little available. Less is more.

Anonymous
(Login sylvianne)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 17 2017, 9:59 AM 

excellent.
he certainly stole bits of this for his own glass spider tour then others in turn stole from his glass spider tour for there own shows.

Stranger
BW Member

of course, it is a good thing...

No score for this post
July 17 2017, 1:58 PM 

to conclude something is not worth seeing on the evidence of two minutes of footage that are not to one's taste happy.gif
------------------
The next DVD release?

Recommended:

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

Re: of course, it is a good thing...

No score for this post
July 17 2017, 2:07 PM 

Imagine making sweeping statements as fact about a musical performance, Stranger.

Larranaga
(Login Larranaga)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 17 2017, 3:39 PM 

I remember when I first got David Live and wondered why the hell the sleeve didn't have loads of photos of the
famous stage set.
Over the years, I completely changed my mind.
Because weren't the Diamond Dogs 'visuals' basically a few bits of stage set to give the impression of a cityscape
at the back and sides, a couple of gantries and the cherry picker?
Sure, it was innovative in a 'rock' context in 1974, but at best it would look pretty damn basic and utilitarian today -
in the same way that the 1972 Rainbow show lost some of its mystique when all those photos from it appeared in the 80s
and you could see that the stage set was literally a bit of scaffolding, a few planks and some sawdust!
Sometimes it's better to leave the imagination to fill in the spaces...

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 17 2017, 4:20 PM 

Same for me as the 1976 tour. Reading so much about the coldness of the character and krautrock hard funk fusion of the music - and then you listen to the bootlegs and you realise it wasn't a million miles away from Level 42 doing Bowie covers.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 17 2017, 4:52 PM 

God I'm a drag.

stuartreed
(Login stuartreed)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 17 2017, 6:13 PM 

Level 42 ????
fuck off hahaha (I don't mean that offensively) but you are having a laugh aren't you?

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 17 2017, 7:26 PM 

No. I hate the sound of Raw Moon.

Michael
(Login Mist001)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 17 2017, 8:23 PM 

LOL!! Must be a piss take! Level 40 fucking 2??

Mist.
'When I saw the result, I threw up. My body rejected it.'

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 18 2017, 6:31 AM 

OK, UB40.

Larranaga
(Login Larranaga)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 18 2017, 10:27 AM 

Even as tour band fill-ins, Stacy Heydon and that bloke out of Yes weren't Bowie's best choices, it has to be said!
But the worst thing about the 1976 tour was Bowie's flares - have you seen the swish on those curtains?!
Christ.
Bowie looked utterly cool as fuck as the Thin White Duke - except for when the occasional full-length photo
appears and the massive flares glare hideously out of the frame!
It's not good...

This message has been edited by Larranaga on Jul 18, 2017 10:29 AM

Jon
(Login the_starman)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 18 2017, 11:49 AM 

The point you made about a lot being left to the imagination and to the memory makes a lot of sense to me Larranga. Those little glimpses of Ziggy, 74, 76, 78, whatever are so much more exciting than the seeing (and sometimes hearing) the whole thing. These were concerts meant to be enjoyed as an experience not watched (or listened to) repeatedly.

I saw him 78 and it was a fabulous night; I never want to be spoilt by actually seeing the film of it.

Jon

mikewest
(Login west406)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 18 2017, 10:50 PM 

Plenty of film for 78, nothing for 74,76 virtually, 78 was a great tour and my 1st , remember Hemmings filming it at Earls Court, would love to see it , we have Japan and Dallas/Bremen and I don't think it's embarrassing at all.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website