<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Golly
(Login golly_75)
BW Member

And there's more...

No score for this post
July 13 2017, 9:05 AM 

There are also 4 mixes of Magic Dance from its EP, and a 12" mix of Shining Star which is on the NLMD digital EP, although that was previously unreleased (can't imagine why!) so might not qualify, but there's probably nowhere else to put it...

Not really a remix, but Al Alba will probably be on there too, since that's available digitally too...

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login TimmySheen)
BW Member

Re: And there's more...

No score for this post
July 13 2017, 9:14 AM 

I have a soft spot for the full remix of when the wind blows, that was splendid. Underground is great too in full length format as is Absolute Beginners. However the remixes of the album tracks...jeez

Anonymous
(Login sylvianne)
BW Member

Re: And there's more...

No score for this post
July 13 2017, 10:56 AM 

there's no reason not to include the 12 inch version of shining star as it is previously released now on the digital download ep so I would expect that to be there.
I wonder if the never let me down vinyl version will stay faithful to the original and be included as such in the vinyl box set?

Anonymous
(Login NorseSwagger)
BW Member

Re: 1983-1987?

No score for this post
July 13 2017, 3:17 PM 

My list of a potential 13, leading up to 1993 excluding Tin Machine:

>Let's Dance
>Tonight
>Never Let Me Down
>Black Tie White Noise
>Black Tie White Noise: Extras
>The Buddha of Suburbia

>Montreal 1983 (2 discs)
>Glass Spider (2 discs)

>Re:call 4
---China Girl (Single Version)
---Shake It (12" Remix)
---Modern Love (Single Version)
---Let's Dance (Single Version)
---This Is Not America
---Dancing in the Street (Steve Thompson and Michael Barbiero Mix)
---Absolute Beginners
---Underground (Extended Dance Mix)
---Magic Dance (12" Remix)
---When The Wind Blows (Extended Mix)
---Look Back In Anger ('88 Version)
---Fame '90 (House Mix)
---Sound and Vision (808 Gift Mix)
---Bring Me The Disco King (1992)

>Tonight: Extras
---Tonight (Live 1985 with Tina Turner)
---Don't Look Down (Extended Dance Mix)
---Blue Jean (Extended Dance Mix)
---Loving the Alien (Remix)
---Dancing with the Big Boys (Extended Vocal Mix)
---Tumble and Twirl (Extended Dance Mix)
---Don't Look Down (Remix)
---Dancing with the Big Boys (Extended Dub Mix)
---Tonight (Vocal Dance Mix)
---Loving the Alien (Extended Dance Mix)

>Never Let Me Down: Extras
---Never Let Me Down (7" Remix)
---Julie
---Day-In Day-Out (12" Groucho Mix)
---Al Alba
---Time Will Crawl (Extended Dance Mix)
---Girls
---'87 and Cry (Single Version)
---Time Will Crawl (Dance Crew Mix)
---Girls (Japanese Version)
---Never Let Me Down (Extended Dance Mix)

Only things "from the vault" would be Montreal & the 1992 recording of Disco King. Labyrinth's soundtrack would work better as a standalone album rather than stuck into a boxset. Trashed the majority of the "dub mixes". Tin Machine discography would be its own boxset packaged with a "Fuck You I <3 Tin Machine" T-shirt.

This message has been edited by NorseSwagger on Jul 13, 2017 3:34 PM

Anonymous
(Login TimmySheen)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 13 2017, 8:17 PM 

I actually think tin machine will be absorbed into an 80s box set. Unless it starts an 88 to 98 set. I doubt a tin machine set will be released. That said I bet the powers that be simply read these boards and pick one of the compilations proposed.

sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 13 2017, 10:23 PM 

who knows? maybe it will go 1983-1989 as having the TM tagged on, may make it more sellable than a TM boxset.

anyway, taking into account its only up to 1987, it's Re:call that really makes the difference but in some ways they could do a complete cop out and not even have mixes. There's enough material to get away with without relying on them. Besides, they might throw in the unreleased Dance album.

anyway I reckon Re:call 4 will be like this..

Let's Dance (Single Version)
China Girl (Single Version)
Shake It (12" Remix)
Modern Love (Single Version)
Modern Love (live Version)
Loving The Alien (single version)
Don't Look Down (remixed version)
Tonight (live with Tina Turner)
This Is Not America
When The Wind Blows (single version)
Dancing in the Street (single version)
That's Motivation
Volare
Never Let Me Down (7" Remix)
Julie
Al Alba
Time Will Crawl (2007 version if not included anywhere else)
Girls
'87 and Cry (Single Version)
Time Will Crawl (Dance Crew Mix)
Girls (Japanese Version)

"Unless it starts an 88 to 98 set." that's too much of a timespan.

This message has been edited by ziggythecowboy on Jul 14, 2017 9:25 AM

Anonymous
(Login sylvianne)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 14 2017, 8:40 AM 

there are instrumental versions of this is not america and when the wind blows which were 7 inch bsides. maybe and hopefully all these plus the edits and single mixes and bonus tracks will be on recall 4 and dance will be separate and extended with all the mixes over 2 or 3 discs. even the labyrinth album, single versions and extended mixes could be a separate set.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 14 2017, 8:43 AM 

I genuinely think a complete remixes set in recall will force the 80s material to be reassessed on a wider scale (rather than just by me and sylvianne for the last few years). That sound is massive at the moment and the remixes in almost all cases trump the originals.

Anonymous
(Login NMares)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 14 2017, 9:15 AM 

I think you pretty much nailed it sonofsilence but I somewhat expect Labyrinth to be included. No way Black Tie or Buddha would make it on this as some people have suggested, start of a completely different era.

The real question is Tin Machine. I can't see them doing a standalone TM box. I can see them putting it on the tail end of this one though. Along with the Ryko material. So possibly add Tin Machine, Tin Machine II, and Oy Vey Baby.

Sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 14 2017, 9:25 AM 

hey thanks. I kind of took into account hey might just have the soundtrack to labyrinth. How knows, they may include the Live Aid set with Dancing in the Streets as a bonus disc. (woopee)

TM is an odd one really . Probably best tagged on with the 90's. The Gabrels' years or at least 89 to 93 (inc S+V live album)

This message has been edited by ziggythecowboy on Jul 14, 2017 9:39 AM

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 14 2017, 9:58 AM 

None of these box sets excites me.

We've got it all already.

The TV mix will be on eBay soon enough for £11.56 on Ebay
"I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star"

https://godisimaginary.com/

Anonymous
(Login NMares)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 14 2017, 11:27 AM 

Part of me thinks though that Sticking Tin Machine at the front of the 90s box undermines the 'fresh new start' that BTWN represents.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 14 2017, 11:41 AM 

Tin Machine requires a separate box. If done right it'll be fantastic.

OK, fantasticish.

Sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 14 2017, 11:58 AM 

1989-1991.

short but cheaper. then again this would also encompass S+V live and Fame 90.

Anonymous
(Login NMares)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 14 2017, 12:23 PM 

They could stick the Ryko tracks on the ReCall disk in a set like that too.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 14 2017, 12:29 PM 

Nooooo!

Anonymous
(Login NorseSwagger)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 14 2017, 2:39 PM 

I think Tin Machine deserves its own box, to have its discography in one place of its own. It'd be too overshadowed by everything else if it lumped into a Bowie era boxset.

'83-'93 makes the most sense to me since that's the time where Bowie's at full pop mode, then when the Outside years kicks in we have a fresh new beginning. Speaking of Sound + Vision I'd love to see one of that tour's shows become a live album, whether it's standalone or in a box.

Sickboycj
(Login sickboycj)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 14 2017, 5:09 PM 

My guess as to the next series of box sets:-

Box Set 4:-
Let's Dance
Tonight
Never Let Me Down
Black Tie White Noise
Serious Moonlight live
Glass Spider live
Re:Call 4

Box Set 5:-
Buddha of Suburbia
Outside
Earthling
Hours
Toy
Bowie Live.com
Re:Call 5

Box Set 6:-
Heathen
Reality
The Next Day
Blackstar
Heathen Meltdown Festival
Reality Live
Re:Call 6

I believe that this will carry on all the way through to Blackstar, as it continues to be advertised as career spanning from 1969.
It's possible though that Tin Machine is bypassed although a seperate set could be included.
It's relatively easy to compile all recordings from Space Oddity to Scary Monsters, but after that there are different record labels, seemingly infinite remixes, movie work, etc, that it does become more complicated to have a definitive collection, but we shall see.
There's no getting round it, either these are nicely produced box sets collecting his work, or rip offs to get the fans to buy the same product again, take your choice.

Does anyone remember this which was widely reported shortly after Bowie's passing?:-

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/david-bowie-prepared-a-number-of-records-to-be-released-after-his-death-a6830766.html

I don't know if there was any substance to these reports, or if it was just a mix up of the continuation of the box sets.

This message has been edited by sickboycj on Jul 14, 2017 6:55 PM

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 14 2017, 6:36 PM 

I reckon Glass Spider Live, Serious Moonlight Live, Live and Well etc etc will get RSD releases. Then they'll get cd releases. The box sets will be material that has been released before with maybe the odd 'hard to find' edit on the recall discs.

"I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star"

https://godisimaginary.com/

Anonymous
(Login sylvianne)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 14 2017, 10:09 PM 

box 4 - 83 to 87
11 discs.

let's dance 1
tonight 2
dance (original lost album) 3
never let me down 4
serious moonlight live vancouver 5/6
glass spider live montreal 7/8
the 12 inch remixes 9/10
recall (edits and bsides) 11.

the more I think it won't be Montreal 83 live but they could well opt for vancouver. unlike Montreal vancouver they can say has had a previous release on the DVD and a download ep. is actually prefer vancouver.

tin machine don't fit here neither does btwn.
this next one could even be the final box set for now. it could move on to rare and unreleased or a live series. this box has more balance to it tin machine would stick out like a sore thumb.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website