<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

Re: 1983-1987?

No score for this post
July 14 2017, 11:09 PM 

"this next one could even be the final box set for now. it could move on to rare and unreleased or a live series. this box has more balance to it tin machine would stick out like a sore thumb."

yeah true. Personally, I think that from 2019 we'll start seeing the albums rolled out individually with deluxe sets. as it will be the start of the 50th anniversary rounds. How convenient.

It will make sense to roll out all the 50th anniversary editions sooner rather than when it comes up. Otherwise the market for them will literally die off before they even get to them. eg. Let's Dance 50th in 2033!!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   

Stranger
(Login Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land)
BW Member

Always overlooked - Dancing in the Street, the mix broadcast to millions on Live Aid day

No score for this post
July 15 2017, 12:27 AM 

Personally I loved the first version of Dancing in the Street - the one that was broadcast on the day of Live Aid. I loved it at the time, and I thought oh that's so good, I played it back again and again on video. Then I went on holiday and came back and it was No,1 - but in a different mix.

The original mix is burned in my memory, and less brash...it deserves a full stereo release on the next box, as it was heard by millions that way first.

I know many hate the song, I don't...nowadays I see it a fun hit, it's not a Bowie classic, but I don't think it anywhere near as bad some think it is.

Also the remixes of Bowie's version of the song Tonight are nice, very pleasant indeed. I do love Iggy's original, but I like Bowie's take on it a lot too. Slinky and gorgeous.

Don't Look Down and Neighbourhood Threat are fine by me too...hell, while I can understand why a box celebrating Bowie's mid 80's work is unappealing to many, in the right mood I can enjoy a lot of that output..I do agree that the 12" mixes can become annoying...in such a box some clever sequencing would be needed to consign them all to the end of the respective CD's so many of us can just switch off before they start or at least only bother with them occasionally. I guess I would do that every so often, I do vaguely recall the Dancing with the Big Boys 12" mix being not upalatable, but like I say the 12" mixes I would only want to hear in small doses on occasion.
------------------
The next EMI Expanded Editions:
* What are your hopes for these releases?
* Let's have The Man Who Sold The World with the complete Paris Cinema Studios, Feb 5, 1970 radio concert, and the complete April 1970 radio session. Hunky Dory - add the complete Paris Cinema Studios concert, June 1971 in stereo, from the BBC Stereo Transcription LP if the master is lost!
* Any future live 1974 release MUST include a recording of Drive In Saturday from the early part of the tour, it's classic!
The next DVD release?
* Cracked Actor / Omnibus documentary must be released on DVD!

Recommended:
Tiffiny Townsend | She's Got Issues | The She Creatures |

Anonymous
(Login NorseSwagger)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 15 2017, 1:09 AM 

A yearly "new" live album for Record Store Day makes sense if it becomes a trend; I'd want the next one to be Seattle '76 if there's one released for each tour, with Isolar I following Diamond Dogs' tour. I can't think of anything remarkable from Isolar II that'd be comparable to Stage though..

Anonymous
(Login sylvianne)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 15 2017, 10:02 AM 

for 78 it looks likely Perth would be it. Earls court would have made a nice set. full soundboard with the hemmings DVD.

going back to the 12 inch mixes most of these are fantastic and a lot of them were done by the top remixers at that time. at least they stayed faithful to the original song a lot of the 90s mixes were mixed beyond all recognition and dreadful for that. miracle goodnight stands out as I loved that song and was so disappointed when I got the 12 inch mixes. there were a few exceptions but not many.

Sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 15 2017, 10:10 AM 

The Adam F mix of Telling Lies was far superior to the album version.

Stranger
BW Member

Perth 78 would be boring, but Earl's Court, now that's an idea...

No score for this post
July 15 2017, 10:44 AM 

Perth 78 would be boring though, we talked about this happy.gif. Bowie's tours often limped towards the end as the musicians got bored playing the same songe for 6 months, with the odd show here and there when they pulled it out the bag (Tokyo 78 the TV broadcast show - because it was on TV and the drummer wore a monkey mask, they all perked up a bit).

Earl's Court 78 could be an interesting show as an LP and CD set to accompany a DVD could be good though, especially if they could get the mix right to make Sound and Vision to 'work' more. It wasn't the greatest version of it, but if they concentrated on some of the extra instruments and the audience sound on that song it could give it quite a 'vibe', carry that across the whole album could be an interesting listening experience imo.

------------------
* Let's have The Man Who Sold The World with the complete Paris Cinema Studios, Feb 5, 1970 radio concert, and the complete April 1970 radio session. Hunky Dory - add the complete Paris Cinema Studios concert, June 1971 in stereo, from the BBC Stereo Transcription LP if the master is lost!
* Any future live 1974 release MUST include a recording of Drive In Saturday from the early part of the tour, it's classic!
The next DVD release?

Recommended:

Anonymous
(Login sylvianne)
BW Member

Re: Perth 78 would be boring, but Earl's Court, now that's an idea...

No score for this post
July 15 2017, 5:18 PM 

that recent Perth bside sounded very good, art decade. surely thats the giveaway that its coming at some point? but I get what your saying I read somewhere that show was half empty too.
the usa shows were better baton rouge and detroit for example but we already got stage.

Stranger
BW Member

small or less reactive audiences don't help bands

No score for this post
July 15 2017, 5:52 PM 

I think and hope that Perth song was a one off, to sell that single. Nice though it would be to have an unheard show, the idea of it being from later in the tour worries me.

An early show with Rock and Roll Suicide would be nice, just as an early 1974 show with Drive in Saturday would be nice.

But you can't always get what you want...
------------------
The next DVD release?

Recommended:

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

Re: small or less reactive audiences don't help bands

No score for this post
August 8 2017, 8:24 PM 

Earls Court on DVD would be nice
"I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star"

https://godisimaginary.com/

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website