<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

1983-1987?

July 12 2017 at 9:29 PM
No score for this post

Sonofsilence  (Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

Seems like the obvious choice.

OK there's already another post about the name prediction so looking at other aspects. To get to that magic 13LP like the other three.

Let's Dance
Serious Moonlight Live Montreal (3LP)
Tonight
NLMD
NLMD - Raw mix
Glass Spider Live (3LP)
Re:Call (3LP) - non album singles, b-sides, remixes and single edits.

Thought it will seem odd Visconti remastering this as he had bugger all to do with any of it.

This message has been edited by ziggythecowboy on Jul 13, 2017 12:34 AM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Golly
(Login golly_75)
BW Member

Re: 1983-1987?

Score 2.0 (1 person)
July 12 2017, 10:12 PM 

I think it might be wishful thinkiing about a Serious Moonlight set in the box - it'll probably come out, but separate.

I think you're right about two NLMD, although rather than a raw mix just the two released versions, as some of the tracks on the CD version were longer than the original vinyl version, which I think is only currently available on iTunes. It'll be interesting to see if Too Dizzy gets restored too!

Also I guess Labyrinth will be in there too.

So I think it'll be:

Let's Dance
Tonight
Labyrinth
NLMD CD version
NLMD original vinyl version
Montreal 87 (2CD)
Re:Call - single edits, remixes, B-sides, Dancing in the Street (if we really must!), This is Not America, Absolute Beginners tracks, When the Wind Blows, etc.

Re:Call might be two or three disks, maybe even four if it includes all the stuff from the 12"s. If they were still a disk short, they could fill it out a bit, in a similar style to The Gouster, with the unreleased album Dance.

J
(Login cruelgarden)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 12 2017, 10:21 PM 

I would look forward to this actually. Hopefully with the demo's for the above albums and the film songs he did and all the various film mixes that havent been available on CD etc.

Jx

"No-one can blame you, for walking away"

sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 12 2017, 10:25 PM 

"Hopefully with the demo's for the above albums and the film songs he did and all the various film mixes that havent been available on CD etc. "

wishful thinking

Anonymous
(Login sylvianne)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 12 2017, 10:27 PM 

I wonder if labyrinth will get a separate release with the extended dub and dance mixes?
Will the lost album dance be included?
what will recall consist of just the edits and bsides?
like the heroes ep will the other download eps get separate CD and vinyl releases.
how will they organise all these extended mixes?
Will they actually break with protocol and release a previously unreleased live album in this series?
Will they issue the special vinyl edit version of never let me down?
is there a chance the first tin machine album may be included 1983- 1989?
Will too dizzy be reinstated?

this one raises many questions, it certainly will be more interesting than the current one, there's real potential here. il be more than happy to get those 12 inch extended eps.

Stranger
(Login Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land)
BW Member

Montreal is shit :)

No score for this post
July 12 2017, 10:32 PM 

I hate to spoil the party, but I keep seeing Montreal 83 this, Montreal 83 that...when I listened to it recently, I realised why I've never listened to it much...it's a bit too clinical.

Don't get me wrong, there are great moments, there's nothing wrong with any of the songs, but it's heavy going in one sitting, even two.

Give me Vancouver 83 any day.

I like the 83 tour, but there's something I can't put my finger on...despite the obvious concerns over quality of songs picked, I think I still enjoy the 87 tour more as a concert experience...yes he played more hits in 83, but I find it hard to get through those Montreal shows.

Glass Spider could do with some rehearsal takes of some of the songs I reckon too.

But then what one or two fans might want and the rest can be very different happy.gif
------------------
The next EMI Expanded Editions:
* What are your hopes for these releases?
* Let's have The Man Who Sold The World with the complete Paris Cinema Studios, Feb 5, 1970 radio concert, and the complete April 1970 radio session. Hunky Dory - add the complete Paris Cinema Studios concert, June 1971 in stereo, from the BBC Stereo Transcription LP if the master is lost!
* Any future live 1974 release MUST include a recording of Drive In Saturday from the early part of the tour, it's classic!
The next DVD release?
* Cracked Actor / Omnibus documentary must be released on DVD!

Recommended:
Tiffiny Townsend | She's Got Issues | The She Creatures |

J
(Login cruelgarden)
BW Member

Re: Montreal is shit :)

No score for this post
July 12 2017, 10:43 PM 

I just really really want to hear the demos for Lets Dance, Modern Love and Loving the Alien. He recorded the entire Lets Dance album in Switzerland as a demo version then re-recorded it in New York as the version we all know.

Maybe one day we will get to hear the original Buddah soundtrack album alongside the issued one. (One of my all time Fave Bowie albums)

Jx

"I catch the paper boy"

Anonymous
(Login sylvianne)
BW Member

Re: Montreal is shit :)

No score for this post
July 12 2017, 10:57 PM 

yes I'm inclined to agree now, the more I think of it the more I don't think we will get an 83 show in the next set although I think Montreal will get a release in a separate release.

I do agree about vancouver that show has an excellent audio soundtrack and yes I prefer it to Montreal both nites.

dazhoo
(Login dazhoo072)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 12 2017, 11:01 PM 

The Montreal 87 cd need sorting out the sudden audio change halfway through scary monsters spoils it for me but im not sure this can be rectified though

sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 12 2017, 11:04 PM 

Also have you noticed on the video we tend to miss Station to Station as it shows a clip of him backstage during the intro.

mikewest
(Login west406)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 12 2017, 11:22 PM 

Al, these demos will turn up when we are all dead , and then no one would care anyway !

sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 12 2017, 11:46 PM 

"Will they actually break with protocol and release a previously unreleased live album in this series? "

each box set (other than the first) has gone against the "protocol"

WCIBN - had an unreleased album
ANCIANT - has an EP

so anything is possible.

note: I've never noticed that before A New Career in a New Town ironically almost spells out "Ancient"

sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 13 2017, 12:12 AM 

actually what would be a good edition is the songs from the SE Asia part of the tour. As on Ricochet. And lets not forget his cover of Imagine.

birotheleggy
(Login biro_the_leggy)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 13 2017, 12:27 AM 

Almost certain:

Let's Dance [1 CD]
Tonight [1 CD]
"Dance" - the unreleased compilation of Dance Remixes [1 CD]
Never Let Me Down - CD Version [1 CD]
Never Let Me Down - Vinyl Version with tracks edited differently [1 CD]
Glass Spider Live [2 cd]
Re:Call 3 [1 CD... but if you include remixes and soundtrack stuff - that can very easily be pushed out to two or more]

My guesses:

Either the soundtrack songs (such as 'When the Wind Blows', 'Underground', et al) will go onto "Re:Call" - or they'll have their own unique disc

I'm hoping that "Dancing in the Street" is only included in "Re:Call" and it's not a separate EP

If it ever actually happened, Bowie's "remix / re-version" of NLMD would be included (there's a mention of it on 'iSelect'... I think)

There's a slim chance that at least one of the singles from "Blah Blah Blah" could be included

we certainly won't hear demo's - at least not at this point

I bet a Serious Moonlight concert will be released, but not in the box set (like Cracked Actor)

I also find it very hard to believe that Tin Machine will be included

Sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 13 2017, 12:31 AM 

"I also find it very hard to believe that Tin Machine will be included"

no doubt a 1989 (or 1988 if including Look Back in Anger) to 1993 will cover that.

Anonymous
(Login TimmySheen)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 13 2017, 7:12 AM 

I think the recall for this period will be very full. For a start it needs to contain the labyrinth songs because the whole album wasn't all Bowie material. Then he released a lot of original b sides at that time, then there is the misery of the 12 inch remixes.

Let's Dance Single Edit
China Girl Single Edit
Modern Love Live B Side
Blue Jean extended Remix
Dancing with the big boys Vocal mix
Dancing with the big boys Dub Mix
Tonight dub mix
Tonight dance mix
Tumble and twirl extended mix
This is not America
This is not America Instrumental
Loving the Alien remix
Don't look down remix
Don't look down dance mix
Loving the alien dub mix
Loving the alien dance mix
Dancing in the street plus about 5 tedious remixes
Underground plus about 5 tedious remixes
Within You
Magic Dance
Chilly Down
As the World Falls Down
Absolute Beginners
Absolute beginners single edit
Volare
That's motivation
Girls
Julie
When the wind blows single edit
When the wind blows 12"
When the wind blows instrumentals remixes in a row on a 12 inch
Day in day out remixes
Never let me down remixes
Time will crawl remixes

It strikes me that because of the obsession with remixes in the 80s this could be a very very tedious release - not the same as the other eras at all. I listened to all the remixes in a row when I bought each 12" when it came out and I instantly hated the original song. It was such a blatant attempt to monetise as far as possible a very very small amount of output - to release every song on the tonight album (bar I keep forgetting and God only knows) as a single or b side or remix, long, long after the original album had come out.. This really was Bowie shilling the rubes, to do it again in a boxed set of remix shite is unforgivable in my view. I can see the point of single edits and full length version of say absolute beginners but the dub mixes are entirely execrable. It would just underscore how awful this period was. My memory of it was rummaging through a vast pile of rubbish to find the very rare highlight to be honest.

Anonymous
(Login sylvianne)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 13 2017, 8:02 AM 

I think the extended eps have to be released. they had official download releases like heroes and baal did now they get there release on this box set so I expect and I hope they do too. it's a question how they will choose to compile them and if tgey decide to exhaust them all.
don't forget shake it the long version, bside of the 12 inch vinyl of shake it. hasnt had a digital release so it should be on recall.

Sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 13 2017, 8:05 AM 

Most remixes have very little to do with the artist's input. They normally commission others to do it for them. Having said that, I'm sure they give the final nod. I actually quite like the remixes though. Not all but most. Actually, I would be surprised if there wasn't an extended version of As the World Falls Down as it was pulled from being a single at the 11th hour.

Then there's the Shake It remix. It's actually an improvement on the original.

Anonymous
(Login sylvianne)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 13 2017, 8:52 AM 

some of the remix eps like day in day out and time will crawl had 2 eps each.
they may condense those down, not sure if they would include all the dub mixes, and there were some edits of the extended mixes which may not be included. the extended dub of loving the alien is excellent better than the dance version. there's also an ep for dancing in the street to consider.

shake it yes that bside remix is far superior. when the wind blows the extended version is also superior to the single.
I've really no idea how they will begin to tackle this one. 1 recall disc would certainly be no good.

Sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 13 2017, 9:02 AM 

ah yes the Loving the Alien dub mix. I love that. Its better than the album version. Dancing in the street mix..too much cow bell. Yeah surely only the cream of the mixes though. No room for all of it.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website