<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Strange Compilations

July 20 2017 at 7:49 PM
No score for this post
Golly  (Login golly_75)
BW Member

Could this be the most bizarre/random official Bowie compilation ever? https://www.discogs.com/David-Bowie-Strangers-When-We-Meet/release/3568626

I saw this on eBay the other day and wasn't aware of it, and from the packaging and the track listing I assumed that it was a bootleg, but looked it up and was very surprised that it was official. I had to buy it just because it was weird...

So this shows us a glimpse of what could have been. Santa Monica '72 wasn't released until 2008, but was presumably ready to go when this was released in 2007. We also have mention of two Collector's Special Editions which never came out - Hunky Dory and Low. I wonder how close to release these got, and what would have been included with them, and why they didn't happen?

And then, three years in advance of its official release, Nassau '76. So I wonder whether the original plan was to release this separately, or release the STS special edition much sooner?

Then there's one final piece of randomness, which I think is unavailable officially on CD anywhere else - Young Americans from the Glass Spider DVD - and it is from the Sydney show on the DVD not the Montreal CD that came with the DVD release as I've checked.

So for a bit of light relief, does anyone have any other official compilations which are as weird, or even weirder, than this?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

Re: Strange Compilations

No score for this post
July 20 2017, 8:00 PM 

The French Bereau de Poste Life On Mars? is as equally odd, though not a compilation.
"I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star"

https://godisimaginary.com/

This message has been edited by betty_turpin on Jul 21, 2017 2:56 PM

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
July 20 2017, 8:35 PM 

It's a widely discussed CD for the very reasons you state. Available at Target stores I seem to remember.

The Collection is a good one of sheer buffoonery rather than the planned 'deep cuts'.

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 8 2017, 8:00 PM 

Didn't this release come with the Keenan Dufty clothing collection?

LEOLOWW
(Login leoloww)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 8 2017, 8:16 PM 

Quote: (not on my account-)

Compilation

Released October 2007

This is a very nice promotional EP released in conjunction with Target's introduction of Keanan Duffy's Bowie-inspired clothing line. The clothes are, well, ok. The CD much better. Nothing on it would be completely unfamiliar to Bowie fans of long standing, but it does contain some otherwise "rarities," such as "Word on a Wing," from "Live Nassau '76," and a live "Young Americans" from the Glass Spider tour. Everything is freshly remastered and sounds great. A great investment of five bucks. And it is, ostensibly, a limited edition, so pick it up before you end up having to go through all the crap to get it on eBay.

Tracklist
1 The Jean Genie (Live): From "Live - Santa Monica '72"
2 Strangers When We Meet: From "The Buddha Of Suburbia" New Edition Package
3 Oh! You Pretty Things: From "Hunky Dory" Collector's Special Edition CD
4 Word On A Wing (Live): From "Live Nassau '76"
5 Always Crashing In The Same Car: From "Low" Collector's Special Edition CD
6 Young Americans From Glass Spider Tour Sydney

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 9 2017, 8:33 PM 

It does suggest something interesting at the time.

Doctorocto
(Login doctoroctopussy)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 9 2017, 9:26 PM 

yeah wonder what the plan was for the 'special collector's edition's'?
----------------------------------------------

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 10 2017, 8:17 AM 

Strange compilation, compiling Bowie
Compilations are taking the pace
I'm skipping through

Scott
(Login Nature_Boy)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 10 2017, 11:47 AM 

The promo CD that came with the "I Am Iman" book is another strange one:

https://www.discogs.com/David-Bowie-I-Am-Iman-Signed-Book-Signed/release/6931046

1 The Wedding
2 Wild Is The Wind
3 Loving The Alien
4 As The World Falls Down
5 Abdulmajid
The Thin White Duke - David Bowie Tribute Band
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tyler
(Login libertine90)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 10 2017, 2:41 PM 

"Strange" yes, but I still find these two examples to be more interesting than a lot of the "full-fledged" compilations that have come before or after. Especially sad about Strangers When We Meet however is that those "special collector's editions" of Low and Hunky Dory are still unreleased. I think I speak for everyone as well in saying that we're ready for those to be released any time now.

Larranaga
(Login Larranaga)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 10 2017, 3:49 PM 

Exactly - I'd buy those Hunky Dory and Low special editions, but who the hell needs another compilation?
Surely anyone can make their own compilation these days - and as you've picked the songs, you'll like it a lot more than something
thrown together by a barely interested marketing nerker, no?
Wot? Compilations are useful as entry level starters or for not-really fans who just like a few songs?
But surely it's easier to check out stuff yourself and just download the ones you like?
I honestly don't get the relevance of compilations at this point.

This message has been edited by Larranaga on Aug 10, 2017 5:47 PM

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website