<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Sound & Vision Tour

August 10 2017 at 8:15 PM
No score for this post
dazhoo  (Login dazhoo072)
BW Member

I have just been listening to the Sound and Vision tour live at Milton Keynes cd i got to thinking is this the worst band he ever toured with to me they were not great

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Doctorocto
(Login doctoroctopussy)
BW Member

Re: Sound & Vision Tour

No score for this post
August 10 2017, 8:33 PM 

The band was far too small IMO. Possibly DB did it on the cheap as a contract filler?
----------------------------------------------

Stranger
(Login Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land)
BW Member

good intentions....

No score for this post
August 10 2017, 9:19 PM 

well he wanted to use Reeves, but Reeves didn't think that was such aa good idea.

I think part of the problem was the band had little of a unifying aim beyond playing Bowie's biggest hits. All the tours prior to that, Bowie had an album to promote and/or a particular style in mind (ie more the latter for the Soul Tour, for instance).

His leadership and direction was a driving force in the prior tours, in 1990 he was fulfilling a contract.

That said, I don't think it was all bad...besides part of the issue here is he keyboard heavy mix of the Milton Keynes official recording.

The latest edition of the Tokyo 16th August recording that emerged a year or two back is better, more guts to the mix, and shows the band and tour in a better light.
------------------
The next EMI Expanded Editions:
* What are your hopes for these releases?
* Let's have The Man Who Sold The World with the complete Paris Cinema Studios, Feb 5, 1970 radio concert, and the complete April 1970 radio session. Hunky Dory - add the complete Paris Cinema Studios concert, June 1971 in stereo, from the BBC Stereo Transcription LP if the master is lost!
* Any future live 1974 release MUST include a recording of Drive In Saturday from the early part of the tour, it's classic!
The next DVD release?
* Cracked Actor / Omnibus documentary must be released on DVD!

Recommended:
Tiffiny Townsend | She's Got Issues | The She Creatures |

mikewest
(Login west406)
BW Member

Re: good intentions....

No score for this post
August 10 2017, 10:19 PM 

I saw this tour twice, I remember the 1st time was at the London Arena , it was strange as there were a few gaps in the Audience.
I was as close to Bowie as I've even been in all the times I saw him 4/5 rows from the stage, he didn't look completely happy to me, certainly not as happy as 83, or 78 and even 87 , the second time was Milton Keynes later on , when he seemed a lot happier.
The band was Adrian Belews band, it was a tight band I thought , but what pissed me off sometimes was Belews off key guitar playing, the rest of the band were good!

Footstompin
(Login footstompin)
BW Member

Re: Sound & Vision Tour

No score for this post
August 10 2017, 10:45 PM 

My worse bowie experience. That tour was awful: the sound was cheap and the band and bowie seem not to play the same songs. Bowie can't help showing he was realy bored. His worse tour IMO

Anonymous
(Login ormenlange)
BW Member

Re: Sound &amp; Vision Tour

No score for this post
August 10 2017, 10:59 PM 

Of course, Bowie set an extremely high standard for live musicianship with his touring bands from -76 and -78. Not even the Serious Moonlight band, in many ways excellent, could live up to that.

But playing songs like "Stay" with one guitar only, as he did in -90, could never work, not in a million years. Also, the -90 band seemed stiff and uncomfortable playing along with the programmed sequencer rhythm tracks.

By the time the Sound and Vision tour hit my hometown in late august, Bowie's voice was all hoarse and raspy and unable to hit the high notes. I've never before or since heard his voice in such a bad shape as that night. I remember standing in front of the stage feeling embarrassed and ashamed on the man's behalf. I have a recording of the show somewhere, but I can't bear to listen to it. Certainly a low point.

It was such a relief when he came back in the late nineties with a really good band and his voice back in shape and delivered quality shows right up until the end of his touring career. Even as he's suffering a heart attack on stage during the Hurricane festival, he is doing way better than he was in august 1990.

Doctorocto
(Login doctoroctopussy)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 10 2017, 11:03 PM 

Some great visuals though. Still would love to see the filmed concert get an official release.
----------------------------------------------

birotheleggy
(Login biro_the_leggy)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 10 2017, 11:45 PM 

honestly - I think they absolutely NEEDED a rhythm guitarist

Michael
(Login Mist001)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 11 2017, 12:04 AM 

They HAD a rythmn guitarist. Bowie played it whilst Adrian noodled away on the solos!

Mist.
'When I saw the result, I threw up. My body rejected it.'

V2David
(Login v2david)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 11 2017, 6:46 AM 

Paint by number tour. It was fine for a Greatest Hits tour, but lacked the obsure gems and unique versions of songs of other tours. Fine for those who wanted to hear Changesbowie live.

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

Re: Sound &amp;amp; Vision Tour

No score for this post
August 11 2017, 7:15 AM 

I saw it in London and it just didn't have the edge of other concerts. He didn't look happy.
"I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star"

https://godisimaginary.com/

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 11 2017, 8:03 AM 

I loved everything about 1990. Loved the MK recording I made off the radio. Yes, it sounded a bit flimsy in places but so did many things before - rather stripped down than piles of sax and percussion over everything.

Sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 11 2017, 11:03 AM 

ONe of my friends who normally doesn't even like Bowie said he thought it was great. Says it all really.

andy
(Login andyrushworth)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 11 2017, 2:26 PM 

Possibly a poor reason to tour = greatest hits happy.gif

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 11 2017, 2:34 PM 

He's never done it before or since = good idea

MICHAEL FISH, UK HEIR
(Login LuisKantor)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 11 2017, 7:33 PM 

Fully agree that the band sounded a bit feeble, but the visuals were fabulous, and in terms of succeeding on its own terms, the show was far superior (both in terms of the set list and in well-executed theatrical interplay of prerecorded film and live performance) than the Glass Spider crap.

Anonymous
(Login TimmySheen)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 11 2017, 8:33 PM 

I saw him in The highland exhibition centre near Edinburgh. Crappy venue in the middle of nowhere really. Been upgraded since. At the time the much looked forward to visuals were scrapped because the screen couldn't be erected because the roof was too low. He seemed to be in a foul mood and even restarted at least one song half way through. Seemed to just not work. It was the first time I saw Bowie solo. Was standing second from front so could almost have slapped him - they didn't have the same gaps in those days between stage and audience. In restroect a poor tour. Outside tour was excellent.

Muzz
(Login muzz08)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 11 2017, 9:43 PM 

Was first time I saw him

That awful awful london arena knocked down since that's how bad it was

Was massively disappointed

The kicker was when he did Young Americans WITH NO SAX

I had unreasonable expectations and tbf every subsequent gig was great

I've watched and heard tapes since, of course. I still think it was an abomination of a tour. Tbh possibly the worst thing he ever did, Inc glass spider.

Doesn't matter of course. If I'd been db I'd reckon one shit tour in 20 was nothing to worry about.

The older I get the more I'm in awe of his drive after 40. If he ever ate a sandwich he must have had some weird way of metabolising it. I say that as someone also from SE London. Believe me, clean food can only have happened if ever since he passed wink.gif

Anyway. Atrocious tour. Give a fvck. Really.

Gouster
(Login thegouster)
BW Member

S&V

No score for this post
August 11 2017, 10:17 PM 

I would agree on most comments, he didn't seem motivated for such a lengthy tour and was still excited by Tin Machine possibilities. Contractual obligations can be a pain and not the catalyst he needed. The band were weak and once hr dropped the visuals his rhythm guitar was essential. Having said I was fortunate to see 3 shows on this tour including the first 2 nights in Quebec City, and Montreal. The 3rd was in Ottawa after dropping the visuals and performed a straight ahead rock show. Regardless of band, setlist, or whatever other gripes people had, if you saw Bowie live you were LUCKY.

Roman
(Login _Roman)
BW Member

Hi Gouster

No score for this post
August 12 2017, 4:47 PM 

You were LUCKY as I believe you would have seen Louise Lecavelier live with Bowie at all 3 shows. If I'm not mistaken, the first Toronto show was the only other one where she danced live with Bowie.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website