<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Lodger new remix

August 18 2017 at 1:33 PM
Score 1.0 (1 person)
MGOSCH  (Login MGOSCH)
BW Member

According Visconti this remix will be very different

Visconti’s 2017 mix of Lodger is included in David Bowie: A New Career In A New Town (1977–1982), the third in a series of boxsets spanning Bowie’s career.
“I found some little gems on the tapes,” he reveals. “At the end of ‘Yassassin’, David does a little Arabic rap that didn’t make the record. I put it on the mix this time and it sounds wonderful. David was proud of these re-releases, but he didn’t want to get involved. There are so many capable people, including his own staff and myself, who could deal with it. He’d hear the final test pressing and say, ‘Great, it’s wonderful. Release it.’ But he always wanted to move on.”

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Anonymous
(Login NorseSwagger)
BW Member

Re: Lodger new remix

No score for this post
August 18 2017, 2:02 PM 

It seems like David wasn't the nostalgic type..never looking back in anger?

Michael.
(Login Mist001)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 18 2017, 2:03 PM 

The concept's a bit crap though. It kind of encapsulates the rich, reclusive rock star, where you can't be bothered with your music anymore, so you delegate it to other people. I would have expected Bowie to be a bit more hands on when it came to it.

Mist.
'When I saw the result, I threw up. My body rejected it.'

Larranaga
(Login Larranaga)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 18 2017, 2:46 PM 

Bowie had a long habit of delegating things, though - according to Hutch, Ronson even used to do the vocals
at soundchecks and Bowie only turned up to give it final approval when Ronson was happy with it.
As for some attempt at an Arabic rap at the end of Yassassin...I'm suddenly a bit less eager to hear this remix!

Anonymous
(Login west406)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 18 2017, 5:19 PM 

A Turkish Rap would be more appropriate, no pun intended!

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 18 2017, 8:59 PM 

It's almost like he was being so right on that it was actually misguided and stupid.

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 18 2017, 9:07 PM 

Tolly would know
"I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star"

https://godisimaginary.com/

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 18 2017, 9:39 PM 

Tolly was a saint.

But yeah Lodger 2017 must rate as the biggest things we've got for a while. Excited.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 19 2017, 7:30 AM 

'There are so many capable people, including his own staff and myself'

That is alarming. But hey, if he was cool with that, great. Does it show distain for us? Maybe. Maybe not.

TJNewton
(Login themysteries)
BW Member

You seem to forget

No score for this post
August 19 2017, 5:20 PM 

The guy was dieing not to mention had his hands full with Lazarus and Blackstar.???

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

Re: You seem to forget

No score for this post
August 19 2017, 5:47 PM 

It was done a while ago.

birotheleggy
(Login biro_the_leggy)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 19 2017, 8:18 PM 

yea - the remix isn't exactly what I'd call "new"

TV mentioned having finished it back in 2011... I mean - it's new to us (and the general public)
but it wasn't recently made

Anonymous
(Login MGOSCH)
BW Member

Score 1.0 (1 person)
August 20 2017, 4:30 AM 

Tony didn't remember about I pray olé song

Stranger
(Login Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land)
BW Member

No, the record company leave extra tracks off so they can put them on another box later

No score for this post
August 20 2017, 11:19 AM 

happy.gif
------------------
The next EMI Expanded Editions:
* What are your hopes for these releases?
* Let's have The Man Who Sold The World with the complete Paris Cinema Studios, Feb 5, 1970 radio concert, and the complete April 1970 radio session. Hunky Dory - add the complete Paris Cinema Studios concert, June 1971 in stereo, from the BBC Stereo Transcription LP if the master is lost!
* Any future live 1974 release MUST include a recording of Drive In Saturday from the early part of the tour, it's classic!
The next DVD release?
* Cracked Actor / Omnibus documentary must be released on DVD!

Recommended:
Tiffiny Townsend | She's Got Issues | The She Creatures |

This message has been edited by Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land on Aug 20, 2017 11:19 AM

Anonymous
(Login jackhalloween)
BW Member

Re: No, the record company leave extra tracks off so they can put them on another box later

No score for this post
August 21 2017, 7:38 PM 

From the man himself;

Bowiewonderworld post:

Are any of my FB friends active in the above Bowie group? There seems to be a lot of erroneous and egregious comments about the remix of Lodger. For the record, remixing began in the middle of 2015, never before. It has been well documented that David and I always wanted to remix Lodger but there never seemed to be a good time to do that. In 2015 we were making Blackstar together and David was also busy with his musical Lazarus. There were short periods when David wasn't in the studio, yet I was in a high state of creativity. I opened up Fantastic Voyage and started to mix it and after a few hours I left it in a better state than I had found it (I did more tweaking later on). A few weeks later I tackled African Night Flight and Move On. Then I knew this album could sound great. After I had mixed Yassassin and Red Sails I surprised David with the results. He was extremely pleased and gave me the green light to finish mixing the entire album. Because we were still working on Blackstar that year I never got a chance to complete it until later in 2016 due to my other production commitments and Holy Holy tours. There you have it from me.
Cheers,
Jack

Anonymous
(Login MGOSCH)
BW Member

Re: No, the record company leave extra tracks off so they can put them on another box later

Score 1.0 (1 person)
August 21 2017, 7:48 PM 

Great Jack.Now, it's time Tony tell us about future archives releases

This message has been edited by MGOSCH on Aug 21, 2017 8:24 PM

Jon
(Login the_starman)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 21 2017, 8:59 PM 

" I was in a high state of creativity"

stop sniggering at the back.

birotheleggy
(Login biro_the_leggy)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 21 2017, 11:52 PM 

...where is this message from?

I find it a bit "weird" to say that the remaster wasn't started until 2015... when we were all talking about it having already been done, well before then

I mean, there are several threads from 2011 - 2013 discussing it, with quotes from TV

like:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/8980/thread/1359111999/1/Feature+in+new+Q+magazine+-+new+deluxe+version+of+Lodger--

http://www.network54.com/Forum/8980/message/1391157285

Oh - and here's TV directly quoted in 2011:

"...I spoke to David just a few months ago and he said: “Do you fancy remixing this album?” I said: “Yes please, I’d love to remix the album.” But we had one great song, which was pretty electronic. We had a beatbox: Roland made these beatboxes with the habanero, mambo, cha-cha-cha on, and we had a great electronic technician for part of Bowie’s crew..."

-> So... I just don't buy that TV was talking with DB about remixing Lodger in 2011... then recorded "the Next Day" - later released in 2013 ... An album of which features a reworked song from the Lodger sessions ("Born in a UFO") - and STILL didn't do the "Lodger Remix/Remaster" for another 2 years

This message has been edited by biro_the_leggy on Aug 21, 2017 11:53 PM

Anonymous
(Login jackhalloween)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 22 2017, 4:07 AM 

It is from his facebook page,are you doubting it's authenticity?
I can assure you it is directly from him.He often posts on there,obviously you have to be his "friend" to read his posts.
( I'm not saying I know him,he doesn't know me from Adam but he does accept friend requests)
Cheers,
Jack

birotheleggy
(Login biro_the_leggy)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 22 2017, 4:09 AM 

I hadn't actually seen his facebook post, until after I posted my response

having said all of this - I'm still excited for the release

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website