<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Subterranians

August 25 2017 at 9:44 AM
No score for this post
TJNewton  (Login themysteries)
BW Member

Just been reading the Low album focus on Bowie.com. whilst we all know that the album was recorded in Switzerland and Berlin in Sept and October 76 I had no idea Subterranians we recorded in LA in December 75. Quite significant his mind was going in this direction before moving back to Europe.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Markmywurdz
(Login Markmywurdz)
BW Member

Re: Subterranians

No score for this post
August 25 2017, 10:48 AM 

The fact it was closely linked to TMWFTE soundtrack is probably the reason...

Larranaga
(Login Larranaga)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 25 2017, 1:27 PM 

Subterraneans - always been by far my favourite of the instrumentals and absolutely what I'd've wanted the whole MWFTE soundtrack to have been like.
Had no idea it'd been recorded in LA in 1975, though.
Excellent that new information like this can still surface after all this time.
(Assuming it's not our second egregious error this week...!)

This message has been edited by Larranaga on Aug 25, 2017 1:30 PM

TJNewton
(Login themysteries)
BW Member

No..think this is genuine

No score for this post
August 25 2017, 3:59 PM 

Cherokee Studios in LA. December 1975.

TJNewton
(Login themysteries)
BW Member

Yes

No score for this post
August 25 2017, 4:02 PM 

I did know about TMWFTE link but did not realise it had been recorded. What other recordings were made at Cherokee Studios at this time I wonder.??

Anonymous
(Login besomdave)
BW Member

Re: Yes

No score for this post
August 25 2017, 4:36 PM 

I hadnt realised that before either, but on further Googling....

From Wikipedia (which is not always correct, but in this case seems plausible):

"After the Station to Station sessions ended in November 1975 at Cherokee Studios in Los Angeles, David Bowie recorded "Subterraneans" within those studios in December 1975.[1] The song later received overdubs by Brian Eno.

The sleeve notes of Low credit "Peter and Paul with additional ARP synthesizer and piano." The "Peter and Paul" mentioned are Peter Robinson, who played Fender Rhodes, and Paul Buckmaster (the composer of the string arrangements for the Rolling Stones' "Moonlight Mile (song)") who played the ARP Odyssey.[3] Peter Robinson and Paul Buckmaster worked with Bowie at Cherokee Studios in late 1975 on the aborted movie soundtrack to the Man Who Fell to Earth.

"Subterraneans" was ultimately the most heavily edited song on Low, with David Bowie's saxophone, as well as multilayered synthesizers and reversed instrument sounds from Brian Eno, floating underneath a moaned vocal which is wordless until around the final ninety seconds. The soundscapes contain a cinematic quality which evokes the feel of Miles Davis' landmark album In a Silent Way.[1]"

Ena
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

Re: Yes

No score for this post
August 25 2017, 7:13 PM 

So was Both Guns a jam/idea that was worked on in 75 and finished in the UK with Keith Christmas in 76?
"I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star"

https://godisimaginary.com/

Brety
(Login themysteries)
BW Member

Thanks for tbat

No score for this post
August 25 2017, 11:39 PM 

Fascinating stuff...incidentally I was fascinated to see some of the instruments used on Low and Enos Gizmo at the David Bowie Is exhibition in London.

Nacho
(Login NachoNacho)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 27 2017, 6:09 AM 

I go into this subject at some length in my recent film:
https://vimeo.com/221740373
From about 57:09

sammy mcnight
(Login pleasecomeaway)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 28 2017, 4:17 AM 

Nicely done Nacho. The extended alcohol sequence at the end is spot on. Booze is so central to the tale. And your imagined Low choreography feels so right. I love your stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdyoWhiZKxo
www.gettheebehind.me

Anonymous
(Login NachoNacho)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 28 2017, 10:42 AM 

Thanks very much, Sammy.

TJNewton
(Login themysteries)
BW Member

Very Interesting

No score for this post
August 30 2017, 1:17 PM 

Thanks for the link. Can I ask how long it took to put this together.

Nacho
(Login NachoNacho)
BW Member

Re: Very Interesting

Score 5.0 (1 person)
August 30 2017, 2:17 PM 

It's hard to say precisely. I estimate around 700 hours. That's not including collecting all the material, which has been an ongoing preoccupation for more than a year.

LeoLoww
(Login leoloww)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 30 2017, 4:06 PM 

Thanks Nacho. Marvelous piece of work.

A New Career
(Login ANewCareer)
BW Member

...talking about the synthesisers used on Low

No score for this post
August 30 2017, 7:18 PM 

... I recently bought an ARP Pro Soloist synth from 1974, which is a great little monophonic preset synth. Anyway it didn't take long to realise that this is the synth Bowie used on Weeping Wall. It's credited on the Low sleevenotes just as "ARP", however it's not, as I had assumed, the Odyssey as the two preset sounds he uses in Weeping Wall, the Fuzz Guitar 1 and Clarinet sounds, are unmistakable- particularly the Fuzz Guitar sound which would be all but impossible to make on an Odyssey (or any other synth for that matter other than say a big modular ARP 2500- and then I can't see Bowie painstakingly trying to recreate a Pro Soloist preset for some reason).

So there you go if anyone out there is nerdy enough to care about the synths used on Low, and hey it was a nice bonus surprise for me that this synth was used on my favourite album.

Nacho
(Login NachoNacho)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 31 2017, 8:49 AM 

Thanks a lot, LeoLow.

TJNewton
(Login themysteries)
BW Member

Thank you

No score for this post
August 31 2017, 1:26 AM 

It is a fantastic piece of work and valuable contribution to our knowledge and understanding of a genius.

Nacho
(Login NachoNacho)
BW Member

Re: Thank you

No score for this post
August 31 2017, 8:49 AM 

Well, that's high praise, TJN. Thank you.

Piras
(Login Piras2)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 31 2017, 2:55 PM 

Fantastic! Is there any way to download this?

Nacho
(Login NachoNacho)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 31 2017, 3:40 PM 

Grab yourself the mighty 4k Downloader freeware, and download everything.https://www.4kdownload.com/products/product-videodownloader

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website