<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Watching the A Reality Tour DVD for the first time in 10 years.

August 28 2017 at 9:03 AM
No score for this post

sonofsilence  (Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

Well what can I say. It sounds great. I see no need to get the record or CD. Such a great selection of songs, it gets better as it goes along.

But the visuals are so fucking annoying. Chopping and changing every 3 seconds to fan cams. None of which are of very good quality. In fact I prefer to listen to the DVD only in 5.1 and turning down the image on the TV (zero brightness).

no rush for a Blu-ray release of this. It would be pointless.

Favourite tracks - Sister Midnight, The Motel, Loving the Alien

This message has been edited by ziggythecowboy on Aug 28, 2017 9:53 AM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jan
(Login FTcollector)
BW Member

Re: Watching the A Reality Tour DVD for the first time in 10 years.

No score for this post
August 28 2017, 10:11 AM 

"no rush for a Blu-ray release of this. It would be pointless"

The awful 'trendy' video effects, fancam bits and quick cuts could all be edited out. Are there any industry examples of such a 'visual remix' of a music dvd ?

Equally annoying is using the dvd menu to select tracks, because the audio in the menu is three times louder.

Sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 28 2017, 10:51 AM 

"Equally annoying is using the dvd menu to select tracks, because the audio in the menu is three times louder. "

Ah yeah that. I remembered that bit so had the volume right down at the start. It's a shame about the shoddy visuals because the sound is spot on.

This message has been edited by ziggythecowboy on Aug 28, 2017 11:48 AM

dazhoo
(Login dazzzhoo)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 28 2017, 12:39 PM 

Really enjoyed this tour Loving the Alien was a personal highlight the dvd is okish like you say far from perfect the cd of this gig sounds to perfect i prefer the bootlegs

mikewest
(Login west406)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 28 2017, 12:56 PM 

MSG I much prefer to this ! Too professional imho.

V2David
(Login v2david)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 28 2017, 3:36 PM 

Someone needs to take the raw film and reedit this in high-def without the ridiculous cuts and high-def. Something similar to the Isle of Wight HD footage would be perfect.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 28 2017, 4:41 PM 

I think I just heard Nachno chuck his custard

gabe
(Login gabe_)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 28 2017, 5:08 PM 

The DVD looked dated the day it came out with those 80s MTV video effects. Just ruins it for me.

Sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 28 2017, 9:32 PM 

Too professional? If you take your car in to be serviced do you ever complain that their service was too professional?

This message has been edited by ziggythecowboy on Aug 28, 2017 9:33 PM

Anonymous
(Login sylvianne)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 28 2017, 9:42 PM 

never liked that reality version of loving the alien.
that song demands a full band arrangement like on the glass spider tour. fantastic.

Anonymous
(Login NorseSwagger)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 29 2017, 5:07 AM 

My only gripe is because it only covers the Dublin dates, it omits a lot of excellent tracks that were performed over the course of the tour such as:

-Station to Station
-Fashion
-Let's Dance
-Space Oddity
-Queen Bitch
-Quicksand
-Sound and Vision
-The Supermen
-Starman
-A New Career in a New Town

Hell, I'd repackage the tour as a 4 disc CD set, seriously impressive how much the setlists changed up over the course of a couple years. I haven't watched the DVD in ages, but the live album is one of my favorites for the ipod. Always include the five digital bonus tracks to get the complete 35-song night.

Thylacine
(Login Thylacine8)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 29 2017, 7:01 AM 

Agreed. I'm really not fond of the DVD… But the sound is fantastic, as is the concert.

However, there are quite a few excellent concerts from the Reality Tour.

I think the two Sydney shows are really lovely, and could easily be combined into another full CD release.

And then there are the standout singular performances, for example "She'll Drive The Big Car" from the Bahamas gig.

If Tony Visconti is truly considering a re-mix of the Reality album, I would love to see a version of Big Car mixed to more closely mirror that live performance… or just an official release of the Bahamas concert.

All good stuff (:

dazhoo
(Login dazzzhoo)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 29 2017, 8:03 AM 

And Blue Jean he does a great version on this tour
https://youtu.be/74EzEoSrPz0

This message has been edited by dazzzhoo on Aug 29, 2017 8:06 AM

V2David
(Login v2david)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 29 2017, 2:22 PM 

I'll have to listen again, but what was so special about "She'll Drive the Big Car" at the Bahamas show?

The ever-changing setlist really made The Reality Tour special. Especially for those of us who got to see it multiple times. I'm hoping they release the full setlist for The Isle of Wight show which a few songs were shown in Hi-Def on TV.

Anonymous
(Login sylvianne)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 29 2017, 4:30 PM 

some of the American shows late on the tour like buffalo, Holmdel and borgata are excellent. some very different songs performed. bewlay brothers, queen bitch, station, panic in Detroit and probably the best live arrangement of modern love he ever did.

Thylacine
(Login Thylacine8)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 29 2017, 4:57 PM 

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a linkable copy of the Bahamas SDTBC. It's not exactly a new arrangement, but the guitar is more upfront, and the flow of the song is a bit more dynamic than the album version. Bowie's delivery is more angry, the backing vocals are more energetic, and the harmonica is more, as he put it during the show, "cruddly."

birotheleggy
(Login biro_the_leggy)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 29 2017, 5:40 PM 

yeah - the later US shows were really good...

I saw him in May, at the Patriot Center (it was one of the rescheduled shows)

the guitar solo towards the end of "Sunday" transitioned right into "Heathen"
AND I mean... to hear both "Quicksand" and "the Supermen" was so cool

...Although, I can't say I was that much of a fan of either IAOA or Heroes from that tour... but whatever

Richard
(Login ikonikon)
BW Member

re five digital bonus tracks

No score for this post
August 29 2017, 7:06 PM 

hi, wait. I have to buy the whole to get 5 songs ?

What songs?

I dont do downloads.. but might start because completist, since there isn't much new coming out anymore.

Anonymous
(Login NorseSwagger)
BW Member

Re: re five digital bonus tracks

No score for this post
August 29 2017, 10:03 PM 

The CD has three bonus tracks (Breaking Glass, China Girl, Fall Dog) not included on the DVD, and there's two additional tracks (5:15 & Days) only available on iTunes.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website