<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Gluck influence on Bowie

August 28 2017 at 4:36 PM
No score for this post

Ena  (Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

Watched an interesting documentary about Hannah 'Gluck' Gluckstein last night.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p057nlsd

She was into dressing as a guy and had her hair barbered in the style of gents of the day. She was photographed by the top photographers of the day and in several photographs there is a definite resemblance to Bowie, the haircut, the jawline, the pose etc etc. I'd never really looked into her life and work. I reckon Bowie would've been more than aware of her and her cross-dressing.

Check her out anyway.
"I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star"

https://godisimaginary.com/

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Dandyfied
(Login Dandyfied)
BW Member

Re: Gluck influence on Bowie

No score for this post
August 29 2017, 6:32 PM 

I watched the doc last night about Gluck and found it really fascinating, truly an inspirational person.

I think she would have been somebody db was aware of and probably well read on her life and exploits.

Definitely worth watching.

Listening to Ariel Pink - Dedicated To Bobby Jameson

Nemo
(Login whidbeyisland)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 30 2017, 5:55 AM 

Well I wanted to watch the clip on Gluck, unfortunately things have taken a Brexit turn. Can't watch it because I'm not in the U.K.
On a positive note Murdoch's Fox News is leaving the U.K. market. Good riddance to that rubbish channel. Wish they would leave the USA airwaves.
David Bowie on pirate Radio Caroline...that musical had a long gestation!
https://youtu.be/xsLEpBiTVMs

Em
(Login crackedemerald)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 1 2017, 5:33 AM 

I watched the program today. Her art was striking but quite conventional - her life, and her rigorous adoption of a male persona was the upside and downside of her career. The press certainly never got past the "She dresses like a guy!" headline.
Mr. Bowie might have gotten some good fashion tips from her, 'cause she had a hell of a Look, but he had the wit to abandon Looks before they got boring.

Nemo
(Login whidbeyisland)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 1 2017, 6:52 AM 

@Em
So how you pull that off, BBC will only allow me access to audio, no video?
Continuing the line of thought the Virago edition of "The Well of Loneliness " uses a Gluck painting.
There's a masochistic storyline for ya.
Big court drama over what Trump would consider a nothing burger (if he was rational).
Check out pictures of Radclyffe Hall.
What where the psycho-babelists talking about, inversion?!
Yoda speak.
Yonks ago Jeremey Bentham wrote that it wasn't the governments business.
Besides being an auto icon and inventor of the panopticon.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website