<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Similarities 'tween David Bowie & HBO series 'carnivale'

August 29 2017 at 2:08 AM
No score for this post

Mt Obvious  (Login Dr.Ink)
BW Member

I watched season one of 'Carnivale' and was struck by the
character 'Lodez'. His milken eyed persona was so reminiscent
of Bowie's Heathen character. The theme throughout the first season of Carnivale was very David Lynch like (and Ray Bradbury) in its darkness and ambiguity. What sealed the deal that Carnivale was part Bowie inspired was the scene where Ben Hawkins strangles/chokes Lodez to death, much like Bowie fights his wooden dummy in 'Love is Lost'. In any event, it's a riveting series even if plot is was so meandering and slow that it earned cancellation after season two.

I get Bowie vibes from the odd other movie as well. Sometimes a scene depicting midnight cornfields with striking subsonic audio or thunder remind me of those crucified effigies in Blackstar. One fillum in particular, entitled 'Steakland is one such picture. 'I wonder if Bowie was inspired in part by 'b' rated cinema ... or perhaps even asked to borrow set material and talent from film crews/ production to create videos.

I doubt this had happened due to nobody claiming to have 'inspired' Bowie's videos. Nevertheless I wonder sometimes.

This message has been edited by Dr.Ink on Aug 29, 2017 2:51 AM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

LeoLoww
(Login leoloww)
BW Member

Re: Similarities 'tween David Bowie & HBO series 'carnivale'

No score for this post
August 30 2017, 4:03 PM 

I noticed that in the music of the opening sequence “Warszawa” is clearly recognizable.

Here's the link :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouTCtwNIYaQ

This message has been edited by leoloww on Aug 30, 2017 4:23 PM

Anonymous
(Login Dr.Ink)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 31 2017, 1:52 AM 

Honestly-in ernest to my
hearing- this sounds not a lot like
Warsawa. But it is cool.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 31 2017, 8:18 AM 

There's a little snippet of the melody of Śląsk's Helokanie in there , sure (0.42 - 0.54)

Anonymous
(Login Dr.Ink)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 1 2017, 2:05 AM 

Speaking of Bowie similarities.
Check our Gary Oldman and Denzel Washington
In 'Book of Eli'.... That COULD be the book David
held up for all us to see in Blackster.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 1 2017, 6:43 AM 

Pierce Brosnan in No Escape is basically playing Bowie in Into the Night. Worth a look, you'll see what I mean.

Could be a bet for playing later era Bowie in a biopic.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website