<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

My next Bowie "experience"?

August 31 2017 at 1:59 PM
No score for this post
Christian Borchgrevink-Vigeland  (Login borchgrevink)
BW Member

Started listening to "quality" music some 25-30 years ago. Started with Pink Floyd, still one of my favorites. Discovered Bowie some years later, and haven't looked back. I still remember vividly discovering album after album. Such a thrill. Now, are there any other artists out there that may give me the same thrill? I doubt it, but any suggestions?

Here's a list of my fav artists:

Top shelf: Bowie, Pink Floyd, Neil Young, Zeppelin

Next level: Doors, RATM, Morrissey, Faith No More, Rammstein, RHCP, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and a couple more.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

Re: My next Bowie "experience"?

No score for this post
August 31 2017, 2:36 PM 

Queen and The Beach Boys.

I like what you like. You'll love getting into both.

mikewest
(Login west406)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 31 2017, 4:17 PM 

1st Div , Bowie, Muse, ELP, Roxy/ Ferry , Who ,
2nd Div Led Zep, Genesis, Crimson, Queen, Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Police, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop.
3rd Div ,Quo , Deep Purple, AC/DC , It Bites , Montrose, Thin Lizzy
4th Div , ELO, Foreigner, Focus,

Relegation fodder, The Eagles, Bee Gees from 76, Fleetwood Mac from 75, Van Morrison, U2 ,
Bottom of the pile, and the worst group ever, The Spice Girls ,

This message has been edited by west406 on Aug 31, 2017 7:29 PM

Anonymous
(Login ormenlange)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 1 2017, 12:59 AM 

I would definitely recommend you to move slightly out of "rock" territory. Let me give a few examples:

Starting with "Music of My Mind" in 1972, Stevie Wonder recorded a string of classic albums for Motown, ending with "Songs In the Key of Life" in 1976. These albums will be a revelation for anyone who isn't already familiar with them.

Aretha Franklin's studio albums for Atlantic Records, starting in 1967 with "I never loved a man", ending in 1972 with "Young, Gifted and Black" are all supreme recordings (excluding "Soul 69"). Two magnificent live albums from the same era, "Live at the Fillmore West" from -71 and "Amazing Grace" from -72 equals her studio work.

Miles Davis made 20 or so albums for Columbia Records between 1955 and 1975, ranging in style from scored orchestral music to minimalist modal jazz to extreme heavy electric funk improvisation. There's enough music there to last a lifetime.

Nina Simone recorded at least 40 albums for many different labels in her lifetime. Not all of them are equally good, but it seems she was incapable of making a bad record. She was a highly gifted classically trained pianist, forced to take up singing in nightclubs to support herself. If you check out her 1964 live in New York recording of "Wild Is the Wind", you will notice that Bowie's vocal on his 1976 version is an emulation of hers, but that she, while singing, simultaneously plays wildly expressionist piano at least as good as Mike Garson. She will blow your mind.

I can almost hear you protesting: You don't really like soul, you don't care much for funk, you can't stand modern jazz and you find gospel music appalling. You want to be thrilled, but you don't want to venture out of familiar territory. But ask yourself: Of all the artists that you love and respect the most, is there a single one who'd disagree on any of my recommendations?

ballhaus
(Login ballhaus)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 1 2017, 7:18 AM 

I strongly agree on Nina Simone and Aretha Franklin. Haven't given Miles Davis or Stevie Wonder a try, but will look into those.

On comtemporary artists i listen a lot to
- Concha Buika (Spanissh jazz, soul, flamengo)
- Melody Gardot
- Cassandra Wilson
- Hurray for the riff raff
- Valerie June

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 1 2017, 8:10 AM 

Good to dabble, but unnecessary to think you NEED to get into Soul and Funk just because.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 1 2017, 8:11 AM 

Says the guy who got into All Saints because he fancied them :/

Christian Borchgrevink-Vigeland
(Login borchgrevink)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 1 2017, 2:09 PM 

Thanks for the suggestions, will try some of them!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website