<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Your favourite Bowie official live albums in order..

September 13 2017 at 2:19 AM
No score for this post

sonofsilence  (Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

There's a few of them now. This includes the Glass Spider one as it was officially released on CD (with DVD).

my preference in order...

Santa Monica
Stage
Cracked Actor
David Live
Ziggy Stardust soundtrack
1976 Nassau
Reality Tour
Glass Spider
2000 at the Beeb (maybe a different opinion had it not been just highlights of the show)

This message has been edited by ziggythecowboy on Sep 13, 2017 3:18 AM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

Re: Your favourite Bowie official live albums in order..

No score for this post
September 13 2017, 8:20 AM 

For me it goes from ones I listen to, to ones I don't:

Ones I listen to: ZPMP (original RCA mix), David Live (Ryko version), Stage (original tracklist) Santa Monica (although usually the Ziggy Live gold CD version discussed here a couple of weeks ago)

I don't consider the other ones 'canon' releases because I'm a snob.

Golly
(Login golly_75)
BW Member

One missing...

No score for this post
September 13 2017, 10:24 AM 

You didn't include Oy Vey, Baby... admittedly even as a Tin Machine fan I do try to forget about most of it, although I love the version of Under the God on there...

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

Re: One missing...

No score for this post
September 13 2017, 10:36 AM 

Good point. The one album that would benefit from an expanded reissue when the time is right.

Sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

Re: One missing...

No score for this post
September 13 2017, 11:44 AM 

yeah that deserves to be mentioned. Alright, I'd put it at the bottom

christian
(Login attfiecz)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 13 2017, 11:44 AM 

and liveandwell.com which I would consider an official live album.

Sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 13 2017, 11:46 AM 

grey area that one. As it was only official to Bowienet darlings. If it were included, I would put rank it in the middle somewhere.

Big Marty
(Login JONESTHESINGER2)
BW Member

Fave Bowie Live Album

No score for this post
September 13 2017, 12:32 PM 

Funnily enough, there's an article in the latest Record Collector (RC 469 August)about the 'Death of The Live Album' as a concept/going concern/form of medium, etc.

It's written beautifuly and pithily by Luke Haines, he of Auteurs fame, and a big Bowie fan himself.

He talked how he vexed over which (Bowie) live album to buy and settled on Stage, ultimately because of its price! (More bang for your buck!)

It's a shame we don't see the live album as a viable medium anymore - it was always a benchmark of how far and how good an artiste might be, as well as contractual oligation of course!

Obviously, there are loads of poor live albums and loads of unnecesary ones as well, and some that never got recorded (Bowie at Roundhouse, Purcell Rooms, Rainbow, Royal Festival Hall 1972 & 2002, Hammy 2002, Marquee 1966, etc. etc.)

As for my won favourites, well my judgement's been skewed a bit, by virtue of the order i came to listen to his live output.

I purchased all the bootlegs first in the 1970s, so I listened to (and loved) Dollars in Drag (1980 Floor Show), His Masters Voice (Ziggy farewell Show), Thin White Duke (Nassau Coliseum 1976), and In Person/In America (Santa Monica 1972).

The only obvious omission from this list is a decent bootleg from 1974, primarily because he released a sub-standard, but official, live album that year, of that tour. I heard this first on cassette, which opens with Big Brother, so again, my opinion was somewhat coloured.

But since they have all been cleaned up, remastered and re-booted with correct running orders, etc. we can enjoy them all on a level playing field.

I don't have a partticular favourite, suffice to say, the newer ones are more like greatest hits and have less soul and than the earlier efforts, so those still remain my favourites, and include gems like Jean Genie live at Hammy '73!

TJNewton
(Login themysteries)
BW Member

And VH1

No score for this post
September 14 2017, 9:45 PM 

Storytellers it pretty good.

Anonymous
(Login NorseSwagger)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 13 2017, 2:17 PM 

My personal best to worst:

Stage
A Reality Tour
Live Nassau Coliseum '76
Cracked Actor
David Live
Glass Spider
Ziggy Stardust: The Motion Picture
Bowie at the Beeb (all 3 discs)
Santa Monica '72
Oy Vey Baby

Hoping Serious Moonlight gets a proper CD release in the next box.

mikewest
(Login west406)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 13 2017, 3:40 PM 

David Live
Ziggy Stardust : The Motion Picture
Santa Monica
Live Nassau Coliseum 76 ( This would be no1 if mixed in the way as the Ryko bonus tracks).
Cracked Actor
Glass Spider
Stage
Oy Vey Baby

leo
(Login sylvianne)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 13 2017, 8:11 PM 

1. serious moonlight vancouver 83 DVD soundtrack. ( needs a separate audio release)

2. David live

3. cracked actor.

4. stage

5. glass spider Montreal 87

6. Nassau 76

7. santa monica 72

8. ziggy Hammersmith 73

9. BBC theatre 2000

10. storytellers 1999

11. a reality tour

12. oy vey baby

sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 14 2017, 12:08 AM 

"Funnily enough, there's an article in the latest Record Collector (RC 469 August)about the 'Death of The Live Album' as a concept/going concern/form of medium, etc. "

without having read the article, I can see why this would be. People now want the visual aspect of the live performance and there's already so much on youtube, it makes the audio alone seem a bit redundant.

This message has been edited by ziggythecowboy on Sep 14, 2017 3:05 AM

Anonymous
(Login Mattis-)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 14 2017, 6:26 PM 

stage (2005)
Nassau Colloseum
David live (2005)
Cracked Actor
ziggy Hammersmith
BBC Theatre
A Reality Tour
Santa Monica
Storytellers
Oy vey baby
Glass Spider Montreal

Christian Borchgrevink-Vigeland
(Login borchgrevink)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 17 2017, 11:56 AM 

Is the Beeb one available unofficially in full length?

Anonymous
(Login jackhalloween)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 17 2017, 1:04 PM 

Yes
Cheers,
Jack

Christian Borchgrevink-Vigeland
(Login borchgrevink)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 20 2017, 8:51 AM 

IsnĀ“t the Live at the Beeb extra bonus disc complete?

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 20 2017, 8:52 AM 

Nope.

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
September 20 2017, 8:54 AM 

It's fair to say that the songs they left off the disc would've made a much more interesting and rounded addition to the Beeb set.

I think I listened to it once. Doesn't it fade tracks out mid chat and stuff? Seemed a bit messy.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website