Calling all craigslist hounds

by Armorer

At this stage it's looking like the knife biz is going to have to become a staple income, University I teach for just handed me the notice today: reduced salary for the year AND furlough on top of that...

I am asking, no, begging you craigslist gurus to keep an eye out for a decent 1x42 or 2x72 belt grinder. Most of the knife maker's grinders available through the typical blade maker's forums are all well beyond the budget at this time. As it is, we know how Craigslist stuff can generally work out--if Doc's finds aren't enough evidence, a bud down in Fla just scored both a Shopfox benchtop mill and lathe for a whopping 200 bucks each.
Concurrently, most of what we saved from the past year when I was teaching (won't see a paycheck again until end of August after the semester begins again) and what I'm pulling in from the knife side of things is going towards paying off the wife's medical bills...
I'm getting a lot of requests from customers to add a hollow grind to my offered edges, but my equipment won't suffice. With a decent grinder, I could easily turn out ten times the amount of work I'm currently producing in a day.
If anyone spots anything, I'll work out something with you to make sure you get something for helping me out.

Posted on Jun 30, 2011, 10:27 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

1. Budget? Specific notes?. Deus Machina, Jul 1, 2011
    1. Right there with you. Armorer, Jul 1, 2011
      1. Well, the 120-volt one.... Deus Machina, Jul 1, 2011
        1. Dropping the seller a note. Armorer, Jul 1, 2011
  2. just an idea. Artcurmudgeon, Jul 1, 2011
    1. Grizzly catalog is fixture bathroom reading material. Armorer, Jul 1, 2011
  3. Options are limited.... Doc Nickel, Jul 1, 2011
    1. Mirroring thoughts. Armorer, Jul 1, 2011
  4. I know of one belt grinder at a 2nd hand shop..... Nighthawke, Jul 1, 2011
    1. Thanks!. Armorer, Jul 1, 2011
  5. Don't know what kind of time you have. Stumpy, Jul 1, 2011
    1. Time and Brands. Armorer, Jul 1, 2011
      1. A few hits. Stumpy, Jul 1, 2011
        1. Slim Pickins. Stumpy, Jul 1, 2011
          1. You've still founded more than I have. Armorer, Jul 2, 2011

eXTReMe Tracker