OT: On disaser preparedness

by Webwolf

Goodness knows why I'm asking here. Maybe because backpackers don't have that will to dabble in explosions and a lathe. =P

So: If you guys had heard, which likely you hadn't, in the wake of the 7.2 earthquake out in Turkey, the San Francisco Bay Area got a pair of 4.0 shots in the same day, a couple miles S/SE from Berkeley. This has inspired me to pull out the old emergency kit, and update it accordingly. And let me tell you, holy cow, is it overdue.

First off, most the first aid supplies had to be tossed. That included the bandages. I know they're deemed "sterile unless opened", but given that what I know about adhesives that have sat for a long period of time, and what you all know about adhesives that have sat for a long period of time, well. I was at least able to salvage the ice pack, the hand warmers, the space blanket, and a few others.

Secondly, my firestarters had gone bad. Well. Insofar as bad as petroleum jelly-impregnated cotton balls can get. From what I remember the last time around, you *don't* actually want the entire cotton ball soaked in Vaseline. I knew a guy that used to melt his Vaseline down and would saute the cotton in it for a bit before packing them. From what I remember, they had a hell of a burn time, but getting them to light with a spark never did work on the first go.

Thirdly, and here's where I reach out for a little help. One of the things I'm doing is going back through and lightening everything. My 72-hour kit is all packed into an army surplus duffle bag, and after I had replaced the old sleeping bag with a much newer one, I figured why the hell not, I might as well try lightening everything else, like the stove. It's one of those models that screw onto a green one-pound canister of propane. I'm thinking of changing it up for one that uses isobutane canisters instead. Given what I know about pressurized gasses... what are the odds that if I try to build an adapter with an inline regulator, that it will blow up on me in the most painful way possible?

Posted on Oct 23, 2011, 11:26 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

1. preping for the big one.. , Oct 24, 2011
    1. Batteries and power tools??. Eric, Oct 24, 2011
      1. power tools. , Oct 25, 2011
  2. odd you should mention this. M Squared, Oct 24, 2011
    1. Seen the CDC's disaster preparedness guide?. Webwolf, Oct 24, 2011
      1. Damned thieves!. Hans, Oct 24, 2011
  3. Re: The stove. I'd have thought for a survival kit you'd want a multi-fuel stove.. Surestick, Oct 24, 2011
    1. Re: Multfuel. Webwolf, Oct 24, 2011
      1. Multi fuel stove to multiple stoves.. MephitMark, Oct 25, 2011
        1. Errrrr..... Webwolf, Oct 26, 2011
          1. Wood stoves. MephitMark, Oct 26, 2011
  4. Which kind of survival are you preparing for?. attic rat, Oct 24, 2011
    1. Well, seeing as how I live out in earthquake country.... Webwolf, Oct 25, 2011
      1. Well, obviously.... attic rat, Oct 25, 2011
        1. Do they stock submarines at walmart or do I have to special order? N/T. Brandon_ha, Oct 25, 2011
        2. Pssssh.. Webwolf, Oct 26, 2011
  5. The ones with the small cans of pressurized butane??. Eric, Oct 24, 2011
    1. Yes, but..... Webwolf, Oct 25, 2011
      1. dont know the tread size but colmen does sell this. , Oct 25, 2011
        1. Totally not the right thing.. Webwolf, Oct 25, 2011
          1. Butane / Propane?. attic rat, Oct 25, 2011
  6. Penny stove?. , Oct 24, 2011
    1. I was considering those.. Webwolf, Oct 25, 2011
      1. They've got instructions for regular cans on the same site (n/t). , Oct 25, 2011
  7. The first question as always is; What are you preparing for?. MephitMark, Oct 25, 2011

eXTReMe Tracker