The Affordaplane, a poorly executed exercise in design.
Pfew. So, I got the plans, and I found some time.
Several things about the plans bugged me. So I started re-engineering the plans. Lemmie tell ya, things got all pear shaped rather quickly.
So, most of the frame is 2x2x.125wall aluminum tube. This tubing has a "cyclic loading rating" of 14,000psi. The plane weighs (or should weigh) 254lbs. Loaded, it shouldn't be more than 550. Even under a 10g static loading, you could still have a 10g vibration and you'd STILL be under the rated limit for that aluminum. And that's even derated to account for aluminum's lack of fatigue limit. The actual tensile strength of 6061-t6 tubing is something like 44,000psi.
Using the square tubing more or less doubled the weight of the fuselage. Versus round tubing. But fine, I understand square tubing is easier to deal with. And heck, the bottom, engine and rear cabin frames are loaded in bending at several points, so we'll leave those alone. Swapping out the windshield, roof, and tail tubing for .. uh.. tubes. 2" diameter, 1/16" wall. Would save 25lbs. Without even coming close to having the parts "just barely adequate" for the job.
The wings have a lot of excess weight as well. The foam for the ribs is left solid. There's no real good reason for that. And the inter rib webs could also be "fixed" By cutting the webs into X shapes, and carving out half the foam on the ribs.. you could save another four pounds.
And this is on top of the whole motor fiasco.
So..... I think I'm going to look at other designs. Though, since the wings and tail are proven on this, I may just have to make my own fuselage. ... perhaps clone something like the belite.