Blerg, arg, and damnations... (Video card help needed)

by

(Why does it seem like half of my posts lately are "Ack! Something broke! Help me fix it!"?? *sigh*)

The fan on my video card just died. It's an ATI Radeon HD 5850, reference design made by HIS bought when they first came out just over two years ago. It's been making a rattling sound like it's been hitting something for a couple days (maybe since Friday night), but it seemed okay when I inspected it on Saturday. When I checked again about half an hour ago, the fan wasn't spinning at all and the rattling was caused by it trying (and failing) to spin. Not surprisingly, the computer shut down due to the card overheating a few minutes later (I was already in the process of saving things and closing down when it beat me to the punch. On my laptop now).

And now, of course, I'm finding that the card is effectively discontinued as-is, and the only 5850's I can find are revamped designs selling for $50-$100 more than what I paid for it two years ago when it was a brand-spanking new design. There doesn't seem to be replacement fans available as well, unless I want to buy a third-party cooler and deal with rigging that up.

grumble

Any suggestions, folks? I'm forgetting what card we put in my wife's machine when I built it this past summer; it might have been an HD 6850. I'd like to stick with Radeon just so I don't have to muck about with swapping drivers to NVidia's, and I'd like comparable-or-better performance in the end (since it's my primary gaming rig), but, yeah, fishing for suggestions here...

Posted on Dec 5, 2011, 10:12 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

1. Two options. , Dec 6, 2011
  2. Just replace the fan?. MarkT, Dec 6, 2011
  3. Yes, replace the fan.... , Dec 6, 2011
  4. the fans are out there. Maker of Toys, Dec 6, 2011
  5. My redneck solution.... Ed Z., Dec 7, 2011
    1. Yeah, that's the next step.... , Dec 7, 2011
      1. Tiny little stuck screws.... , Dec 7, 2011
        1. Oh, dangit, I forgot that direct-linking to an image auto-embeds it. Whoops.. , Dec 7, 2011
    2. That's not Redneck enough.. attic rat, Dec 7, 2011
      1. Wait thats not normal? N/T. Brandon_ha, Dec 7, 2011

eXTReMe Tracker