Just picked up a Cintiq... now, how do I make it go?

by Doc Nickel

I've been lusting after a Cintiq tablet for years, but the rather steep price- something like $2400 for the 21" version- was a bit steep, especially considering I didn't even know if it'd do what I wanted it to do.

Several weeks ago, however Gen from Little Tales upgraded from a 15" Cintiq to a new Yiynova 19". The Yiynovas are pretty new, and by all reports aren't quite up to par with the Cintiqs- though pretty close, if not better in some respects- but they're still very capable, and only $500 for a 19" unit. (Or roughly a third the cost of a similar size Wacom.)

Anyway, she put her used Cintiq up for a fair price, and I figured it was cheap enough to risk an experiment to see if it'll work with my art style and resources.

It arrived earlier this week, and I've been fiddling with it, as I've had the time, ever since. I did about half of Friday's comic's lineart with it- only half, because it was taking quite a bit longer due to my general unfamiliarity with the techniques.

Anyway, it's quite fun, and has some nice features, though I have to admit the jury's still out as to whether it fits my style just yet.

Surprisingly enough, my now-13-some-odd year old copy of PaintShop Pro actually supports pressure sensing tablets, though I really should be upgrading to a more modern copy of Photoshop one of these days. (I do have a relatively recent copy of Elements that I haven't tried yet...)

Anybody familiar with one of these things, maybe know of a good tutorial or two on how to use one well?

Doc.

Posted on Jun 23, 2012, 2:16 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

1. Wacom tutorials. Torinir, Jun 23, 2012
  2. Very jealous over here. Hans, Jun 23, 2012
  3. SAI. Tobias Amaranth, Jun 23, 2012
  4. Lemme know if ya' have any problems with the cable.... WolfWings, Jun 23, 2012
    1. Oh hi. :) n/t. Tobias Amaranth, Jun 23, 2012
      1. Maaaybe.... WolfWings, Jun 24, 2012
    2. No problems so far.... Doc Nickel, Jun 24, 2012
      1. Never claimed it was pretty.... WolfWings, Jun 24, 2012
        1. I just figured out a solution.. Bruce Bergman, Jun 25, 2012

eXTReMe Tracker