How to save $7 in an hour and a half

by Doc Nickel

A week ago, I had the opportunity to get out on the field and play some ball, for the first time in about three years. I took with me a "parts box" 'Cocker I'd assembled for a similar last-minute game several years ago, and despite it's total lack of maintainance or even lube in those intervening years, it worked just fine.

Not, however, perfectly.

I'm still a big fan of 'Cockers because I'm a tinkerer. 'Cockers are Paintball's Harley Davidson. You're not supposed to use 'em straight off the showroom floor. They're meant to be modded. happy.gif

One of the few things I didn't like on this gun was the bolt. It was the only one I had that fit the 2K back block, it was lightweight Delrin and had a matching Delrin pull pin, so for the situation, it worked fine.

However, with the Tornado valve and large internal spaces, I should be able to run this badboy at 160 to 180 psi. If I can believe my gauges, I have to give it 220 to get it up to speed, and efficiency (as in shots per tank) is nothing to write home about.

I had a parts-box 'Cocker back in 1999 that'd get a theoretical 1600 per 3K/68, with a nearly identical Tornado and Max-Flow/gas-thru setup. And I say theoretical because I never really had a full 3K fill, since I always had to draw off of 3K SCUBA tanks or my HP compressor which never really gave more than about 2200 to 2500 psi.

The only problem with this bolt I have is that it's huge- the classic "let's make the opening as huge as possible for the most flow!" design that so many makers have used and still use. It's kind of counterintuitive, but a smaller bore bolt, in these kinds of setups, tends to be more efficient- yes, even over the Tornado's own matching Lightning bolt.

The idea is to keep the port size the same from the face of the valve to the face of the bolt- if the air burst is allowed to expand more than it needs to, energy is lost.

So, I got out a chunk of Delrin and started making a new bolt. Pretty standard job, but while I was making it, I started thinking about one of the other things I didn't like about the parts-box gun; the ball detent.

The detent was whatever I happened to have laying around at the time, and it works, but it's the older style steel ball type detent. I tend to prefer the kind with a delrin ball, but I don't have any on hand (that aren't already part of an assembled marker) and looking around, it seems they're getting hard to come by. Ebay only has a few, and they're all steel ball. Compulsive has some CP detents- which I don't like the look of- but most are sold out. I don't want to spend $25 plus shipping for a gimmick "magnetic" detent either. Some other dealers have detents in stock, but they're all steel-ball too.

So, I figured I'll make my own. happy.gif

I had a couple white Delrin balls left over from a previous project, plus I even had a scrap of stainless 7/16" hex stock from a customer's production-part order, so all I needed to do was put 'em together. happy.gif

Nothing to it, except for a bit of time and some care in measuring. Face one and and turn the hex stock round, then thread to 3/8"-24. I couldn't thread all the way to the shoulder, so I gave it a clearance cut at the base of the threads.

[linked image]

Cut to length, chamfer, drill, then part off:

[linked image]

A little careful filing to get rid of the burrs, clip a bit of spring from the junkbin, make a staking tool, stack 'em together and give it a whack with a hammer.

[linked image]

And voila!

[linked image]

Face the flat end, trim it up with a file to make it nice, sand 'er smooth and she's ready for her close-up:

[linked image]

Tested thoroughly- okay, half a hopper- and it works great. Next time I roll out the buffer and do some polishing, I'll give 'er a high shine. happy.gif

Doc.

Posted on Jul 2, 2012, 12:24 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

1. Parts, you say?. OmniMech, Jul 2, 2012
  2. Can't wait to hear how it performs in the field.... Snowtroll, Jul 3, 2012
    1. Keeping in mind.... Doc Nickel, Jul 4, 2012

eXTReMe Tracker