Won't work, period.

by Solar

There have been several attempts at simulating the "hydroponic garden" thing on earth. They failed miserably, requiring external power and all kinds of cheating (like, venting for some additional air since production was insufficient).

Do you have kids? They don't just out-grow their clothes, they wear them down. I seriously doubt any kind of space-suit would stay airtight long enough to be out-grown. And what if the toddler throws up in the helmet? That's a life-threatening situation for an adult...

It takes very stable minds to handle the kind of isolation for that kind of time. They tried this stuff on earth, too, and it was a real strain on the people even knowing that there would be an end to the ordeal. Out there, knowing there is literally no way back? I bet for at least one suicide in the first year.

And what once the TV station cancels the show? "Oh, we would like to send you replacements for the broken equipment, but the second season has been dropped for a re-run of Seinfeld, sorry..."

There is so much wrong with that idea, I will just pretend it's an April Fool's joke, and/or someone gives the one who came up with it a good hard whack.

Posted on Aug 27, 2012, 7:28 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

1. Well... power for lighting isn't really cheating.... Snowtroll, Aug 27, 2012
    1. I notice you all forgot one thing .... CTPatt, Aug 27, 2012
      1. Not quite so.. Nohbody, Aug 27, 2012
      2. Check your numbers?. , Aug 28, 2012

eXTReMe Tracker