Plastic Fantastic 3D Printing (workshop layout)

by Lord Redacted The Censored

Our workshop setup is rather unique

This house had three apartments initially. I rented the basement, and started accumulating 3D printers. The at-the-time girlfriend objected to the smell of ABS in the morning (as good women do) so rather than break up with her I rented the apartment upstairs for $350 a month. Moved all my furniture up there and continued to invest in workshop stuff downstairs. Now when it became clear that this one was not only worth upgrading to "wife" but a welder to boot, WE refurbished the garage into a welding studio for her.

So the garage has her three welders, a press-brake, the bridgeport and the Monarch lathe as well as my Arburg injection-molder. Funny story about how I ended up with that... I'll tell if you ask.

Downstairs, against the east wall I have six Flashforge Dreamers, against the south wall I have four Orion Deltas, and against the west wall I have two Robo, two TAZ, four Malyan machines and my material rack.

In the middle of the room "island" is my workcenter with a mini-mill and mini-lathe, four "drying buckets, belt-sander with extractor, and my computer work-station.

What used to be the apartment kitchen is where I keep the server, the Filistruder and more racks of material. I also keep all the shipping supplies in here and a bench for packing parts.

The old bedroom is where I keep the two **HIGHLY ILLEGAL** diode lasers and the hookups for the 60-watt CO2 Laser that is inbound. I also have a small jig-saw here and a table for cutting wood blanks to burn in the laser. Once I get the bigger laser online I won't need to cut with the saw nearly as much.

Between our two enterprises (my printing and her welding service) we have managed to stave off the bill-collectors, buy the house outright and remodel the upstairs into one living space instead of two apartments. We're actually on track to have a very good year (and it's only march) -- our goal is to make enough to switch our day-jobs to part-time and pursue the stuff we actually enjoy doing.

Posted on Mar 3, 2017, 8:36 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

1. .... Lord Redacted The Censored, Mar 3, 2017
  2. Bright ideas. Dave H, Mar 3, 2017
    1. Well According To An Internet Expert--. Lord Redacted The Censored, Mar 3, 2017
      1. Re: Well According To An Internet Expert--. Thinkertoys, Mar 3, 2017
        1. Re: Well According To An Internet Expert--. Lord Redacted The Censored, Mar 3, 2017
  3. What are you doing with all the printers?. goldie, Mar 5, 2017
    1. Custom Manufacturing --. Lord Reacted The Censored, Mar 5, 2017
      1. interesting.... paintballsycho, Mar 9, 2017

Quantcast

eXTReMe Tracker